Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grencha Posts: 71, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2013, 07:11 PM
    Sewer Line Gas
    Would it be possible for gas to build up in a drain and cause a explosive sound like a loud thump? I live in a mobile home park and my home is situated at a point where my home is on the end of the sewer line. Like if you where a house at the end of a road. I have been getting rotten egg smell for years which only can be noticed when I run water down the drain in the kitchen. The kitchen sink is on the opposite end of the home from the sewer hookup.
    scott53715 Posts: 165, Reputation: 10

Mar 2, 2013, 08:32 AM
    Your kitchen sink should have a drain vent that allows air to escape when you put water down the drain. Most generally go up and out your roof. If there is some obstruction you could hear noises and have smells and may have to be cleaned-out. If you only smell it by the sink, that's where I'd look first. If you have a dishwasher connected to your sink, it may not be connected properly, or clogged, allowing stinky water to stay in the pipes. Making water flow in the sink can disturb the stinky air in your d.w. drain and make nasty smells too. I'd look at the d.w. first. Hope this helps.

Mar 2, 2013, 10:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by scott53715 View Post
    Your kitchen sink should have a drain vent that allows air to escape when you put water down the drain. Most generally go up and out your roof. If there is some obstruction you could hear noises and have smells and may have to be cleaned-out. If you only smell it by the sink, that's where I'd look first. If you have a dishwasher connected to your sink, it may not be connected properly, or clogged, allowing stinky water to stay in the pipes. Making water flow in the sink can disturb the stinky air in your d.w. drain and make nasty smells too. I'd look at the d.w. first. Hope this helps.
    Reply:
    Actually the smell is down near the bathroom which is about 40 feet away from the drain for the kitchen. Also not sure but there is a drain near the bathroom which is for the washer and I think that connects to the line from the kitchen which somehow connects to where the toilet is. The vents and drain are clear but not sure if any water remains in that drain from the kitchen. I am just trying to eliminate the source of this noise I hear every now and then. Somewhere along the area of that drain from the kitchen this noise like a large tree fell on the roof happens. Really strange because of how loud it is.
    scott53715 Posts: 165, Reputation: 10

Mar 3, 2013, 05:55 AM
    Do you have a private sewer (septic tank?)
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 3, 2013, 06:34 AM
    Please clarify. You have an odor in the bathroom, but only when you run water the kitchen sink. Is that correct? You hear a loud noise when you run water at the kitchen sink. Do you hear that noise when the water is running or do you hear it when you turn the water off? Do you hear the noise when you use water at any other place?

Stop up the kitchen sink, fill the sink with water. Turn off the water. Did you hear the noise when you closed the kitchen faucet? Remove the drain stopper and run to the bathroom. Do you smell the odor? If you smell the odor, sniff around the base of the toilet. Is the odor stronger there?

Mar 3, 2013, 02:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Please clarify. You have an odor in the bathroom, but only when you run water the kitchen sink. Is that correct? You hear a loud noise when you run water at the kitchen sink. Do you hear that noise when the water is running or do you hear it when you turn the water off? Do you hear the noise when you use water at any other place?

Stop up the kitchen sink, fill the sink with water. Turn off the water. Did you hear the noise when you closed the kitchen faucet? Remove the drain stopper and run to the bathroom. Do you smell the odor? If you smell the odor, sniff around the base of the toilet. Is the odor stronger there?
    Reply:
    To note the running water has nothing to do with the noise , the rotten egg smell is noticed in the hall outside the bathroom when you run the water in the kitchen sink. The noise is like if you were to lift the end of a couch several feet up and drop it. It seems to be from the area of the drain pipe between the kitchen and bathroom. It also sounds like the noise that is made when you put air in a paper bag and pop it only much louder.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 3, 2013, 04:46 PM
    Did you do as requested?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long do sewer flies live in a house where the sewer line has been replaced [ 1 Answers ]

I just had the whole sewer line replaced about 5 weeks ago. We had the camera test done and discovered that the whole line was cracked and opened. We noticed drain flies and gnats all over the house. I am still seeing flies and gnats now that the work is completed. My plumber said that it could...

Sewer line how to repair cloged l line diy? [ 4 Answers ]

Sewer line seems to be licking water and solids it made a lake down crowling space.

How to connect vent line to sewer line in a 3 unit house? [ 3 Answers ]

I need to have something clarified for me, I have a 3 unit house that I recently bought and the cast iron sewer pipe was cracked from the 2nd fl down to the 1st fl. It has been cut away and I have the 4' pvc to replace it but now I cannot remember how the vent line was connected to it. The vent...

Connection to gas range gas line too large for gas line intake valve [ 2 Answers ]

Connection to gas range gas line too large for gas line intake valve. How can I step the range back line down a step. Is there some kind of converter I can buy?

Sewer gas - did I hook up to main sewer line correctly? [ 3 Answers ]

Moved a mobile home in and ran the sewer line to the main line - on some days I smell sewer gas, and I think it's coming from the vents on the house! - I want to know if I should o had put a "P" trap or something in line before hooking up to main sewer line? I have seen other places saying to...

View more questions Search