Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wallykap Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2013, 09:18 AM
    1998 jeep cherokee has minimal heat
    My jeep has low heat. Last summer we changed water pump which had NO vanes to pump water. Engine was back flushed. Recently a freeze plug was replaced and all was good. Temp gauge doesn' t reach normal high temp. A guess would be - from gauge - that temps go up to 160. Any ideas??
    countusin2 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2013, 10:17 AM
    I know what causes no vanes on a water pump. Antifreeze becomes more and more acidic over time (years of not being changed) finally getting so acidic it can eat though water pump vanes and freeze plugs. I would change the temp sending unit its properly damaged also...
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2013, 10:19 AM
    Reverse flush the heater core.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2013, 10:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey View Post
    reverse flush the heater core.
    x2
    countusin2 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2013, 02:00 PM
    Heaters now days are computer controlled using information gathered from the sending units. My aunts car is doing the same thing, unplug the sending unit and the heater won't get hot at all. Of course the water is hot, but without the info the computer won't open the doors that allow the air to flow though the heater core and into the auto..
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2013, 03:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by countusin2 View Post
    heaters now days are computer controlled using information gathered from the sending units. my aunts car is doing the same thing, unplug the sending unit and the heater won't get hot at all. of course the water is hot, but without the info the computer won't open the doors that allow the air to flow though the heater core and into the auto..
    True but this Jeep is 15 yrs old. My 96 was still buttons and cables!
    Mcsap9213 Posts: 99, Reputation: 10

Feb 10, 2013, 03:22 PM
    Use cardboard to directly block the radiator if you want a cheap and quick "fix". I had an old Plymouth Acclaim like this and it made a big difference. Not allowing the passing air to help cool it down should give you more heat.

Just remove it in the spring.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

93 Jeep Cherokee [ 1 Answers ]

I need a fuse box diagram for a 93 Jeep cherokee, not a grand jerokee, just the plain cherokee

1998 Jeep Cherokee Front driveshaft vibration [ 2 Answers ]

I've got a 1998 Jeep Cherokee with a pretty bad front driveshaft vibration. When I remove the front driveshfat from the vehicle and do 60mph it doesn't vibrate. When the driveshaft is installed it vibrates. I've replaced the U-joints in it, and even tried rotating the front axle for a better...

My gauges are freaking out in my 1998 cherokee jeep. [ 1 Answers ]

First the speed reads 0 until the jeep is warmed up even if I am driving 60 miles an hour it reads 0 , and then goes up and down at times like crazy. Now my gas gauge does not work says it has gas and runs out. How do I go about fixing this problem any answer appreciated.

View more questions Search