Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catgirl101 Posts: 71, Reputation: 2
    -

Jan 28, 2013, 07:37 PM
    How can I make a mean cat like me?
    My neighbor's cat, Puff Puff is MEAN. My sisters go to it and it hisses. It bit my neighbor this week and I feel bad for him. How do I make it like me?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 28, 2013, 08:03 PM
    You don't. Cats are cats, and most cats only tolerate being handled by their owners. Some cats don't even tolerate that.

Leave the cat alone. He's telling you loud and clear that he doesn't want your attention.

I notice that you post on many of the cat related threads. It's obvious that you don't know a lot about cats, based on this question, and the answers you post. Please keep in mind that this site is about giving expert advice to the people that ask. They don't want advice from someone that doesn't have any information to give. Do you understand?
    -

Jan 29, 2013, 05:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by alty View Post
    you don't. Cats are cats, and most cats only tolerate being handled by their owners. Some cats don't even tolerate that.

Leave the cat alone. He's telling you loud and clear that he doesn't want your attention.

I notice that you post on many of the cat related threads. It's obvious that you don't know a lot about cats, based on this question, and the answers you post. Please keep in mind that this site is about giving expert advice to the people that ask. They don't want advice from someone that doesn't have any information to give. Do you understand?
    Then why did it like his wife, antonia?!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 29, 2013, 07:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by catgirl101 View Post
    then why did it like his wife, antonia??!!
    You are not getting it.

Because the cat is used to her.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 29, 2013, 08:08 AM
    Antonia may spend lots of petting time with this cat and probably feeds it. One of our four cats loves my husband to pieces but hates the rest of us and refuses to even be in the same room with us. My son's cat wants to be only with my son and be around his neck or lying across his chest. He ignores the rest of us.
    Pets Expert

Jan 29, 2013, 06:39 PM
    then why did it like his wife, antonia?!
    Did you read what I posted?

You don't. Cats are cats, and most cats only tolerate being handled by their owners. Some cats don't even tolerate that.
    The wife lives with the cat, therefore she's the cats owner.
    -

Feb 2, 2013, 01:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Did you read what I posted?

The wife lives with the cat, therefore she's the cats owner.
    Yes! Antonia and Her husband both bought the cat!! Antonia is the only one who never gets hissed at. But Marty (husband) does. The cat doesn't usually hiss at me anymore but it still hates my sisters. I'm trying to find out why it is getting used to me and if it even can.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 2, 2013, 01:33 PM
    (If I remember, OP is 12, but she keeps forgetting to say so.)

Every cat I have ever known runs and hides from strangers. Including my cat. It takes her probably 20 or more visits to even think about entering the same room. It isn't fair to a scared cat to try to make friends when it doesn't want to. So show some patience.

Cats are often attracted to people who don't move a lot. Sit quietly. Make tiny whispery high noises, sweet ones. Maybe wiggle a string, but don't move if you can help it. It might take days or even weeks.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Feb 2, 2013, 01:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    (If I remember, OP is 12, but she keeps forgetting to say so.)

Every cat I have ever known runs and hides from strangers. Including my cat. It takes her probably 20 or more visits to even think about entering the same room. It isn't fair to a scared cat to try to make friends when it doesn't want to. So show some patience.

Cats are often attracted to people who don't move a lot. Sit quietly. Make tiny whispery high noises, sweet ones. Maybe wiggle a string, but don't move if you can help it. It might take days or even weeks.
    I think the OP is only 9! This may explain the need to ask so many questions.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 2, 2013, 01:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    Her profile says 9.
    Pets Expert

Feb 2, 2013, 07:08 PM
    She's 9 and answers a lot of cat question she really shouldn't be answering, because she knows very little about cats.

I do hope she sticks around, reads the cat threads, gets some knowledge. Then when she's older, she'll be able to answer some of the questions posted here. Knowledge is power, posting when you have no knowledge is not a good idea.

To the OP. My daughter is 10, and she knows everything there is to know about bunny's. She got the bunny bug from me, and then she decided to read everything she could find about rabbits, ask questions, and now, if I weren't available to post on this site on rabbit questions, I would trust her to answer the rabbit questions. She knows more about rabbits than most vets do.

But that kind of knowledge takes time, dedication, and patience. She didn't learn what she knows overnight.

So ask your questions, read other questions, but, when you're given an answer by people that know what they're talking about, don't argue with them, just read and learn. That's how you'll learn, and that's how you'll become an expert on cats.
    -

Feb 4, 2013, 05:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    Why are so many people interested in my age?! Is there something wrong?
    -

Feb 4, 2013, 05:55 PM
    Someone tell me why people are so into my age!!
    Pets Expert

Feb 4, 2013, 05:56 PM
    Why are so many people interested in my age?!! Is there something wrong??
    Actually, yes. At the age of 9 you can't possibly know enough to give advice on this site, which you've been doing, badly. Very badly.

No one expects a 9 year old to know enough to give accurate advice about any of the topics discussed on this site. You're a child, and as a child, you can't possibly know what you need to in order to participate here. That's a fact. It has nothing to do with you as a person, nothing at all. I'm sure you're a wonderful kid. But you're 9, and no 9 year old can know what they need to in order to answer questions here. No matter how smart, or mature they think they are.

The problem is that people come here for expert advice, not the opinion of a 9 year old child. Your age really does matter, because it tells us a lot about how much you know, or don't know, about the real world.

It's also very worrisome that you're on this site. Many of the questions here, are for adults only. I'm a mom, and I know I wouldn't want my kids, who are 10 and 14, reading a lot of the stuff that's posted here. So it's really a concern to see someone your age posting. Why aren't your mom and dad monitoring what you do on the computer?
    -

Feb 4, 2013, 06:02 PM
    I already know a lot about cats. I'm reading books every day and I'm working on my science project. I don't want to say this but these people are making me frustrated!
    -

Feb 4, 2013, 06:03 PM
    I'm not going on this stupid site anymore.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 4, 2013, 06:05 PM
    POP QUIZ

1.What is the most expressive part of a cat's body?

2. Which organic acid is vital for a cat to get in its food?

3. What does T-N-R mean?
    Pets Expert

Feb 4, 2013, 06:15 PM
    I already know a lot about cats. I'm reading books every day and I'm working on my science project. I don't want to say this but these people are making me frustrated!!
    I'm sure you're reading and learning, and that's good. When you're older you'll know a lot about cats from reading about them, and learning about them, but in the meantime you're answering questions on this site, and you don't know enough to answer those questions accurately.

Let me put it this way.

A few years ago, when I first started on this site, before I was made an expert because of my knowledge, a lady came on line. She had rescued a stray dog that was pregnant a week before. The dog was giving birth, and one of the puppies was born and wasn't breathing. There was no time to rush to a vet, and the lady (who didn't breed this dog) was in a panic. It was late, no answer at the vet clinic. So she cam to this site, desperate, wanting to know if there was some way to get the puppy to breath, to live.

Luckily I was online, and I knew what to do. So I quickly posted instructions, and then I waited. I posted within seconds of when she posted. It was pure luck that I was there when she asked her question.

Long story short, she followed my advice, and the puppy started to breath. It lived.

The questions here aren't for fun, they're real people with real problems, and they don't know who's posting advice. They don't know that when you post, they're getting supposed "expert" advice from a 9 year old child that wants to be a cat expert, but isn't. They come here for answers, not childish guesses.

You may not like that we're telling you this, and that's what I'd expect. You're a child, you don't want to be told that what you're doing isn't right. But when it comes to the pet forums on this site, you're dealing with me, because I care about the advice posted on this forum. If you can't give accurate answers, can't take criticism when you post inaccurate answers, then you don't belong here. I will not let anyone come here and risk the lives of animals because they want to believe that reading a few books makes them an expert, when every post they write shows that they have no knowledge at all.

So learn, read, find the information, and become an expert on cats. That's something you can do. When you do, we'll all welcome you here. But not now. You don't have enough knowledge to give advice on cats. Your question proves that, as do all your posts on other questions.

I'm not being mean to you kiddo, I'm telling you the facts. If you can't accept that, then that just shows your age, and your immaturity, and again, that's what I expect. You're only 9. I don't expect you to be an adult. But you have to be in order to post on the topics you're posting on here.

Good luck. Keep learning.
    -

Feb 4, 2013, 06:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    POP QUIZ

1.What is the most expressive part of a cat's body?

2. Which organic acid is vital for a cat to get in its food?

3. What does T-N-R mean?
    1. the tail

2. taurine

3. Trap - Neuter - Release
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 4, 2013, 06:21 PM
    Nice job!

What does taurine do for a cat?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How can I make my cat sleep at night? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a male cat that is just over a year old. When he was younger he went through a stage of meowing all night and constantly licking my face while I was trying to sleep. I thought he had grown out of it but just recently I moved and he has started again. I make sure he has food and water before...

How do you make a cat stop scratching the furniture? [ 4 Answers ]

I have five cats and a huge scratching post. Only the two youngest ever use the scratching post. The second and third cats like to use the wood trim around my front door as a scratching post. I am looking for some sort of product that will put an end to this behavior. Any suggestions will be...

How do a make my cat to use the liter box [ 2 Answers ]

OK, my cat Kingston does not know how to use the liter box... when he was a kitten, he would use it all the time, now that he has grown, he only wants to do his buisnes in my mother garden. And my mom doesn't like it. Not a little bit. So how can I make him to use it?

Hairballs can I make them easier for my cat [ 2 Answers ]

is there anything I can do for my poor longhaired cat. Those hairballs are coming about 2x per week and they look so awful for her. I have been giving her whiskas catmilk and it has helped slow them down but is there anything else I can do for her?

Will my cat be able to make new friends? [ 2 Answers ]

I found my cat about a year ago on the side of the road, barely 4 weeks old. He slept in the nape of my neck for the first few months and the first time he was brave enough to venture outside of my bedroom to the rest of the house, he was about 2 months old. He grew up in my mom's house (I live...

View more questions Search