Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    despicableme Posts: 145, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2013, 04:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    That's too bad. Anything else look hopeful?
    Today, no not really. Wondergirl what should I do with myself? I don't even know anymore. I managed to be able to call one job asking for the status of my application. He said he'll look it over but I'm not hopeful. All I want is just a job doing anything. And everything requires experience.

Don't even know what to do about getting a college degree
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 7, 2013, 05:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by despicableme View Post
    Today, no not really. Wondergirl what should I do with myself? I don't even know anymore. I managed to be able to call one job asking for the status of my application. He said he'll look it over but I'm not hopeful. All I want is just a job doing anything. And everything requires experience.
    Did you check at any libraries near you about shelving books?
    Don't even know what to do about getting a college degree
    Is there a community college near you?

Jan 8, 2013, 12:15 AM
    Did you check at any libraries near you about shelving books?

Is there a community college near you?
    About the library no> And the community yes

Ima go to the hiring fair today tell you how it went. Sleepy

Jan 8, 2013, 08:47 PM
    About the library no> And the community college yes

ima go tot he hiring fair today tell you how it went. sleepy
    It went OK.. turned in my application and said he'll call to set up an appointment if they see a fit.

Jan 8, 2013, 09:08 PM
    Can't believe it is this hard to find a job doing anything. Can't even get a reply from any fast-food places. That's suppose to be a job everyone can get right? Then these warehouse, factory jobs want 3 years exp, where the heck can I find volunteer experience for that? Going to these temp agencies are no help. You can't go in and apply anymore they accept "resumes" now. Then you call these people everyday to see if they have any jobs available.. they never do. Hell these other jobs that I do qualify for are way to far away. There's nothing in Milwaukee. Can't apply as a waiter or server because I know I'm not suited for that type of job. All of this is bull and hopeless..

I'm just going to start lying. I got nothing else to lose if I get fired then I'm back right where I am now, an unemployed loser.
    If I could move I damn sure would but with no money I don't know. Wouldn't mind sleeping in a shelter, hell should sleep on the ground if I could just get out of Wisconsin. I seriously hate it here.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 8, 2013, 09:14 PM
    You have a resume.

Jan 8, 2013, 09:24 PM
    You have a resume.
    And? Seriously, it makes no difference at all. Wondergirl. Millions other other people have a resume and work experience. There's no way I can make it.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 8, 2013, 09:27 PM
    And? Seriously, it makes no difference at all. Wondergirl. Millions other other people have a resume and work experience. There's no way I can make it.
    Have you given your resume to any workplace? Are you applying to places nearby that you can get to easily? There may be openings that aren't advertised. What part of Milwaukee are you in?

Have you asked at the reference desk at your library for more job-hunting help?

Jan 8, 2013, 09:35 PM
    Oh. Thought you just suppose to apply online. I went around a few places I wanted to work in and they told me just to apply online and their not taking resumes. Only applied to mostly chain stores. I live in the area where all the black people are concentrated.. somewhat of the "hood" area. And for your last question, No. Haven't not been to the library in years, couldn't seem to step inside once I lost that book.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 8, 2013, 09:38 PM
    Girl!! I so want to drive up there!!

You apply anywhere and everywhere, job ad or no job ad. Job hunting is a full-time job in itself. Fill out applications, staple your very nice resume to it (printed out on nice paper, if possible), and check back periodically (which means you keep a good list of where you applied and when). Job hunting is WORK!

What about getting into community college with a course or two, so you can call yourself a student, and then apply at the library. (Check with the library to find out if there is a course requirement number or if one is good enough.)

Jan 8, 2013, 09:46 PM
    Girl!!! I so want to drive up there!!!!

You apply anywhere and everywhere, job ad or no job ad. Job hunting is a full-time job in itself. Fill out applications, staple your very nice resume to it (printed out on nice paper, if possible), and check back periodically (which means you keep a good list of where you applied and when). Job hunting is WORK!
    Jesus. Ok. Ok. I'm sorry. I wished I had somebody to go with me all my sisters are unemployed except one and they do the same thing I do. -.- Would go stand in front of the store than chicken out. I'm stupid. Lost a couple of interviews that way too phone & in person. LOL Makes me sick how anxious I am/was.

Guess, I have to do that. Why does this have to be so difficult?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 8, 2013, 09:59 PM
    No, no, no -- NOT difficult. You have a knock-'em-dead resume. Think of all the new people you will meet and possibly new friends you will make. Like when I had breast cancer and got to meet other patients and doctors and nurses and cute young aides who bounced around the hospital like puppies and learned tons about cancer and tumor markers and antigens and grays of radiation and the Canadian protocol. I even wrote stories about all my adventures and read a few of them to the library writers' group I had started.

Positive spin time for you!!

Jan 8, 2013, 10:02 PM
    No, no, no -- NOT difficult. You have a knock-'em-dead resume. Think of all the new people you will meet and possibly new friends you will make. Like when I had breast cancer and got to meet other patients and doctors and nurses and cute young aides who bounced around the hospital like puppies and learned tons about cancer and tumor markers and antigens and grays of radiation and the Canadian protocol. I even wrote stories about all my adventures and read a few of them to the library writers' group I had started.

Positive spin time for you!!!
    Wow. Time for me to shut up! You had breast cancer? Damn I'm sorry about that. You got any stories saved so I can read 'em? You're going through that and here I am complaining. I feel foolish. o.o
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 8, 2013, 10:10 PM
    No, not at all foolish. You are learning from a wise old woman who has job hunted more than once. :)

So tomorrow, you will put on your walking shoes and get out there with a handful of resumes?

Jan 8, 2013, 10:18 PM
    No, not at all foolish. You are learning from a wise old woman who has job hunted more than once. :)

So tomorrow, you will put on your walking shoes and get out there with a handful of resumes?
    Bah. I have to right? Lol. So before I print them all out how will I tailor them to certain positions? Retail, fast food, warehouse etc?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 8, 2013, 10:21 PM
    Bah. I have to right? lol. So before I print them all out how will I tailor them to certain positions? Retail, fast food, warehouse ect?
    I think it's general enough you don't have to do that. As long as you don't add an Objective at the top (useless and limiting), you're good to go with just that one version. Try it for a few days and see what it does for you along with submitting an app at each place. Be sure to tell me about the happy smiles you see appearing on people's faces.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 8, 2013, 10:26 PM
    Are we good with this one (final version)? Please add your correct information, by the way.

ABBY LANE
    123 North Avenue
    Oshkosh, WI 12345
    (555) 555-5555
    [email protected]

SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS

Offer professional-quality administrative assistant skills and an excellent work ethic
    Am responsible, punctual, dependable, and have excellent time-management skills.
    Quickly comprehend and follow established procedures and safety rules
    Work well independently and and in a team environment
    Possess very strong problem-solving skills
    Have basic computer knowledge (Word, Excel, PhotoShop) and am teaching myself JavaScript, HTML, and Python

SPECIAL PROJECTS
    Robotics competition -- helped build robot, worked with various saws, drill presses, measuring tape, and other tools/equipment in the high school metal shop.
    * Made sure everyone worked at high-safety levels when using various dangerous tools
    * Focused on high degree of accuracy when measuring with ruler and measuring tape to cut the right amount of materials, used special markers to note where to drill holes, made sure all parts were correctly located
    * Communicated effectively with classmates and faculty to create and draw plan for robot

Warehouse worker/Package handler, Wisconsin Food Harvest
    * Coordinated with other workers to package foods into the correct containers and label them correctly
    * Ensured all food was stacked neatly on pallets before being moved by forklift

DECA member (international association of high school and college students and teachers of marketing, management, and entrepreneurship in business, finance, hospitality, and marketing sales and service) -- dressed professionally, learned about entrepreneurship and careers in hospitality/tourism/business/finance, played team building/leadership exercises, practiced job interviewing, met with high-level professionals for connections to jobs.

Fund raising -- worked with two classmates to obtain funding for the high school principal for a new cooking room

WORK HISTORY
    Child care -- implement parents' rules, gently discipline as necessary, engage them in specific learning activities, dispense medication per parents' instructions, feed them as needed, put them to bed as requested, help with other household chores.

Newspaper delivery – sorted and stuffed newspapers before delivery, distributed to residences on a designated route and on schedule, engaged in monetary transactions with customers and central newspaper office, maintained customer accounts.

EDUCATION
    ABC High School, Oshkosh, WI (2008)

Jan 8, 2013, 10:27 PM
    I think it's general enough you don't have to do that. As long as you don't add an Objective at the top (useless and limiting), you're good to go with just that one version. Try it for a few days and see what it does for you along with submitting an app at each place. Be sure to tell me about the happy smiles you see appearing on people's faces.
    LOL You are one funny woman. Ok, I will do just as you say. Now today people are recruiting for Marcus Hotel. I think housekeeping. I will give the recruiter my-I mean our resume. And today, another Ups orientation thingy this time only an hour away so I can go! XD

Jan 8, 2013, 10:28 PM
    And yes we are. I can finish it at the goodwill center.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 8, 2013, 10:31 PM
    Be sure to put the bolding and italics in where I did to make it look spiffy.

I will be with you in spirit. If you feel a nudge, it'll be me. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

No job experience, what to put on a resume? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm filling out an application and they're asking me my employment history. I've never heard a job before but I do have some volunteer experience from high school to college and have been a part of some clubs. The ones I want to out down, I remember the names, but not the numbers and I haven't...

I have a Master's and I am interviewing for a Bachelor's level research job. [ 0 Answers ]

The pay is pretty low, but on a range. Can I expect to get paid more than the minimum due to my degree? It's at a major hospital I worked at as a student and I do have some research experience.

I was not given a job description until I was written up for poor job performance. [ 4 Answers ]

When I was hired as a manager but I was not given a job description until I was written up for poor job performance. I was demoted with a $5.50 per hour pay cut and transferred to another job site as a receptionist clerk. I was terminated 3 days ago without any notice given and have yet to receive...

Interviewing for a management position at my current job [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, So, I have an interview tomorrow morning for a supervisor position at work. I'm a caregiver, and I'd be supervising 4 other people. I've been employed with this company for 4 months, but as a caregiver for 2 years. Can people help me prepare for the interview? I've never...

View more questions Search