Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sidsdreams Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2012, 04:57 PM
    Dremel drilled into own wire, blew out outlets
    I was in my garage using my dremel on a project and accidentally hit the wire of the dremel with the drill causing it to spark and blow out. Neither of the outlets where the dremel was plugged in ( test and reset buttons) will work and another in the bathroom ( test and reset) and the adjacent room are also not working. I have gone through all the fuses in the circuit breaker and the outlets are still not working. Is there anything else I can do myself before calling in a professional electrician to look at it?
    shuntripper Posts: 180, Reputation: 8

Sep 19, 2012, 05:35 PM
    All I've got is... Did the circuit breaker trip? (sounds like it) did you reset it properly? Some folks do not realize that to properly reset a circuit breaker you must push the handle to the "off" position first, and then push it to the "on " position.

Please try that and reply
    mike 165278 Posts: 168, Reputation: 7

Sep 19, 2012, 06:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shuntripper View Post
    all I've got is.........Did the circuit breaker trip? (sounds like it) did you reset it properly? some folks do not realize that to properly reset a circuit breaker you must push the handle to the "off" position first, and then push it to the "on " position.

please try that and reply
    It kills me, but I agree, chances are you're not noticing the tripped breaker. Might want to check outside outlets too. Is there an LED on the GFCI outlets?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 19, 2012, 06:21 PM
    "fuses in the circuit breake" which do you have, breaker switches or fuses? Are the receptacles GFCI?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 19, 2012, 06:24 PM
    Have you tested current on both sides of the breaker ( or fuse or whatever it is you have)

How many GFCI do you have on one circuit and are they wired in series ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wire size for outlets [ 2 Answers ]

My main electrical box has only two openings left to add breakers to. I need to add about 5 new circuits. Is it better to double up some of them and use the breakers that have two on them or to add a subpanel?

I have a switch with power to it and wire going to a light,a wire going to outlets [ 3 Answers ]

I have a switch box with power to it and wire going to a light to the left out of the switch box and a wire going to outlets to the right out of the switch box. How do I wire the switch to make both the light and the outlets work properly?

Common Outlets for 10/2 wire [ 10 Answers ]

Are there any outlets that take a common household plug which are designed for 10/2 wire and 110V? I've found some outlets that are good for 20A, but not 30A. Would the 20A receptacles work with 10/2 wire?

Two wire outlets [ 6 Answers ]

I have home built in 1945 in Michigan. How do I put in in the new grouded outlets with two wires? One wire is coated and one is bare copper wire! Thanks for the help. Should I just have a electrican do it ? When I bought the house in 1973 I had the service panal replaced to a100amp service with...

Drilled Wire [ 1 Answers ]

I nicked an electric wire with a drill bit mounting a shelf on the wall, it blew a breaker. I have reset breaker and the circuit is working fine. Should I tear into wall and repair the wire? Thanks for any suggestions John

View more questions Search