Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mjonesc Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2012, 06:52 PM
    Color wires
    Whatis the white wire and what is the black wire?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2012, 07:00 PM
    In normal wiring, black is the current carrying wire and the white is neutral. However, white can be used as a current carrying wire if retasked and properly marked.
    mike 165278 Posts: 168, Reputation: 7

Sep 18, 2012, 07:30 PM
    Depends on the particular application. What voltage is present, and is it a switch leg?
    Mjonesc Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2012, 07:30 PM
    Lamp wiring
    I have a 2 circuit 3 terminal socket for a double lit lamp. The bottom part of the lamp has a black and white wire. The socket has two brown, one black and one white. Don't know where the black and white go.
    mike 165278 Posts: 168, Reputation: 7

Sep 18, 2012, 07:33 PM
    Can you post a pic? Is it a single socket with 4 leads? And your 3 terminal seems to have 4 leads, making it a 4 terminal... Please clarify.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 19, 2012, 05:27 AM
    Are you located in the US or Canada?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help with old Fedders thermostat wires. The old color wires go to what. [ 1 Answers ]

Replacing old Fedders with Honeywell thermostat Asked by Amador On Jul 18, 2007 Share this question: I am replacing an old Fedders thermostat with a new Honeywell. The new thermostat ask to identify wires for Rh Rc W why & G My old Fedders has V H C & F Can someone tell me which equates...

Color of phone jack wires [ 5 Answers ]

I've searched and found many sites the list several color combinations of phone jack wires but, none of them match our colors. We have solid colors; light orange and dark orange twisted together; light brown and dark brown twisted together; ligt blue and dark blue twisted together and light green...

Color of wires [ 3 Answers ]

I want to change my thermostat but the wires don't match the color code on the new thermostat

Unusual color wires [ 2 Answers ]

Can you please help I have just brought a new house and it came with the Thermostat not connected, the wires I have sticking out of the wall are not your usual colors. I have Green, Green-white, Blue, Blue-white and orange (these wires were stripped). Then I have Orange-white, Brown,...

Color coded wires [ 4 Answers ]

This is a two part question: 1. I have a 28 year old Carrier furnace model #31MM220120 and need to know which wire color matches with the newer motor colors. In the furnace there are wires such as orange, white, beige... How do I match up the old color coded wires with the new color coded wires? ...

View more questions Search