Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slouboulton Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2012, 11:25 AM
    Alcohol hair strand testing
    Will cutting the hair make a difference to the results of an alcohol hair strand test?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2012, 11:57 AM
    You have hair on other parts of your body.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2012, 12:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by slouboulton View Post
    Will cutting the hair make a difference to the results of an alcohol hair strand test?
    Probably not. EtG (one of the metablites tested for) seems to cluster around the base of the hair and stay there while FAEEs that are also looked for gravitate to the distal end of the hair. I'm not familiar with any US labs currently offering the test. Where are you being tested and are you sure they are checking for alcohol use?

This may also be a result of the EtG metabolite being washed out of the hair with normal shampooing due to it's soluble nature.

Sep 8, 2012, 12:16 PM
    Its for alcohol and it is the trimega gold test being carried out in england.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2012, 12:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by slouboulton View Post
    its for alcohol and it is the trimega gold test being carried out in england.
    Now I get it! I assume this must be the test where they claim to classify drinkers by quantity of EtG detected.

Since it is not widely used, if at all, in the US my knowledge is limited to articles in professional and research journals. Not very impressive. But the guy that owns all of the patents on the process is emeritus head of Trimega and I understand it is used extensively in England.

Here is an article relevant to England and the use of EtG: (Look in archives, Issue 49)

Barrister Magazine

Sep 8, 2012, 02:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBill100 View Post
    Now I get it! I assume this must be the test where they claim to classify drinkers by quantity of EtG detected.

Since it is not widely used, if at all, in the US my knowledge is limited to articles in professional and research journals. Not very impressive. But the guy that owns all of the patents on the process is emeritus head of Trimega and I understand it is used extensively in England.

Here is an article relevant to England and the use of EtG: (Look in archives, Issue 49)

Barrister Magazine
    Thank you for your help I appreciate it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hair strand test for alcohol [ 7 Answers ]

Does anyone know how the calculation is done for hair strand tests for alcohol. I have done a lot of reading on it but can't seem to find an answer to this. I know that 1.5 inches is usually taken and that represents around 90 days. Also know that the 'cut off' seems to be around 60g of alcohol a...

What affects hair strand testing [ 2 Answers ]

My ex has passed a hair strand test for alcohol as a tee total. This is not possible as she is a heavy weekend binge drinker. As she uses heated hair straighteners every day at least once, Would this affect the test results?

Alcohol hair strand test [ 0 Answers ]

Can you fiddle hair strand test for alcohol ?

Alcohol hair strand tests [ 2 Answers ]

How does an hair strand test work?how far back does it show that alcohol is in my system?if I was to have 2 cans of beer tonight and tomorrow night and then had the test taken on Friday what would it show?

Pot, hair strand testing [ 1 Answers ]

How long does pot stay in the hair. How is the amount calculated? I have a hair follical test coming up soon. I haven't smoked pot in a little over 3 months, and have had a hair cut. Any one out there know anything that could be useful? Thanks in advance!

View more questions Search