Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dthom69613 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2012, 03:41 PM
    Baby's last name
    As an umarried mother who is planning to put the father on the birth certificate and the father is planning to sign an AOP do I have to give the baby the fathers last name?
    Dthom69613 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2012, 03:45 PM
    I live in Texas if this helps with an answer.
    andrewjg Posts: 60, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2012, 03:53 PM
    Unsure as to how it works in America, however morally I think it is best (do you plan on marrying the father of the baby?)

(Many will disagree with this statement) As a young father I could not imagine bringing up a child of mine that does not share my last name unless it was a step-child.

Hopefully this helps a little

Andrew
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2012, 06:52 PM
    The legal answer is no if you are in the US. You can list whatever name that you want.

(Many will disagree with this statement) As a young father I could not imagine bringing up a child of mine that does not share my last name unless it was a step-child.
    Andrew, please keep in mind on the legal boards that answers need to meet legal standards. Additionally, the idea that your love and support of a child could be based only on their last name is morally reprehensible.

Jul 18, 2012, 07:50 PM
    Ok, I understand that Kcomissiong, however I did state I'm not sure how it works in the states ("please be mindful of that!").

And also note that I did state ("many will disagree with this statement"). But this is my point of view and this is why I see it that way:-

-- I currently pay 30% of my yearly income (inclusive of full-time, part-time and enterprise work) to my ex which is at present (due to my internet marketing website) £88,000 ($137,794)- that goes to her. £7,000 a month 6 times that of the average person in the UK goes to her of which only £2,000 goes to my child, that leaves me paying her a doctors salary for doing nothing and her getting free childcare What?

I think to be honest with you its just pure annoyance on my part the British parental system is a joke and this is probably why when I said (I couldn't imagine my child not having my last name) the way I saw it is it's the least she could have done.

If I stay in the UK I'm stuck paying £7,000 a month for the next 18 years (minimum) a total of £1,512,000 ($2,367,690.)
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2012, 06:35 AM
    Again, this is a legal board. People come here looking for answers that conform to what we know of that law, and we want to try our best to make sure that we give that to them.

Everyone KNOWS what happens when you have sex. Babies can happen. You made that choice for yourself and the lagal system isn't to blame. The OP's question was about the right to choose a name, not suppert so how much money YOU make doesn't factor in here (although it would if you are trying to peddle your business, as it appears).

Again, ch oosing to love or support a child based on the semantics of their name is morally repugnant.

Jul 23, 2012, 09:14 AM
    Ok then, are you a lawyer? Doubt it very much. Am I peddling business? No! How can one possibly peddle business when I have'nt mentioned my business in any way, shape or form?

It's not a blame of the legal system all I was stating was how much per year does a child cost? £30,000? So why take 30 odd percent?

And if you are in a relationship for 3 years with someone and stated you did not want kids, how all of a sudden 2 years later a baby is on its way (Entrapment!).

You have obviously never been in this situation have you.. NO so how can you call me morally repugnant? Or what I am doing morally repugnant!!
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2012, 08:05 PM
    You peddled your business in your signature block, the one a mod so helpfully edited out of your post. You are just a touch too defensive for something you "didn't" do... did I hit a nerve there?

I have been in that situation, which is clear from my other posts on the subject and my knowledge of the correct answer. She has every right to choose a name as I stated, and I am currently the custodial parent in a support order where the child has MY last name.

You are an *** to call having a child entrapment... did she entrap your penis in her vagina against your will? Clearly your sense of personal responsibility is flawed so it doesn't make a ton of sense to argue with you. The OP's question is correctly answered, and your support order, and lack of morals have nothing to do with it.Have a lovely evening!
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2012, 08:09 PM
    You may also want to take an opportunity to review correct usage of the rating system :)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 23, 2012, 08:13 PM
    And also note that I did state ("many will disagree with this statement"). But this is my point of view and this is why I see it that way:-
    Andrew, I'm going to sum this up easily so that you'll understand.

The legal forum is for legal questions, and answers need to be legally accurate. Until the law is based on "your point of view", stating your opinion is not helpful. Base your posts on the law. If you can't do that then refrain from posting in the legal forums.

There are many forums where posts are opinion based. The relationship forum, the teen forum, and the like. But the legal forum is based on facts, not opinions.

Do you understand?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jul 23, 2012, 10:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewjg View Post

And if you are in a relationship for 3 years with someone and stated you did not want kids, how all of a sudden 2 years later a baby is on its way (Entrapment!).
    So your vasectomy reversed itself? No? Then you didn't stop children from happening like you could have. Having sex is not entrapment. If you didn't want kids you should have prevented it from happening.

On the LEGAL boards, your OPINION does not matter. The LAW does.

And the law in most states says that the MOTHER chooses the last name and that the FATHER can go to court to have it changed if he really thinks it makes a difference.

Please stick to the law on the legal boards and please drop the arguments about your personal situation---or ask your OWN question and quit hijacking this one. We should be answering the OP's question here, not discussing whether a specific last name has a MORAL or EMOTIONAL impact on anyone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Baby's last name [ 2 Answers ]

Does biological father have a right to giving child his last name if the mother wants to give it hers?

I'm also going through the same thing. My ex-girlfriend and I are having a child in a couple months, she wants the child to have her last name, and isn't giving me any say in the first name even.. I was wondering the legallity of this and what I can do

How do I change my son's last name to his biological father's last name? :(

Baby's father [ 6 Answers ]

I don't want to be with my baby's dad no more and I had no place to go so I am staying with my grandmother to get on my feet so I can provide a me and my daughter with a house with me but in the mean to I have my daughter with the father so she has a nice place to stay just until I get my house but...

Baby's last name [ 4 Answers ]

I am 6 months pregnant and so confused. The baby's father wants the baby to have his last name, but the dad has not help or been a part of the pregnancy this far. I have invited him to all my doctor's appt. and he says he wants to come but never does. He has 2 kids already and the live with him. He...

View more questions Search