Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BonnieO Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2012, 12:47 PM
    Is it descrimination?
    I've lived at this rental for two and a half years, have always paid my rent on time, and keep up the yard. My husband moved out three months ago, and when I told my landlord about it, she threatened to raise my rent because "a woman can't do everything a man can do." She has been showing up unannounced and now wants to inspect my home. She has been calling my neighbor asking questions about me and who has been around. I live a quiet life... work, school, etc. I have been keeping up on the rent since he moved out and keeping up the yard, yet she continues to make comments about how a woman can't handle everything on their own and she will have to raise my rent. I look forward to her inspecting my place so she will at least see how clean the inside is, but I'm really getting frustrated with her constant comments about me being single. Is it descrimination?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 24, 2012, 01:12 PM
    No its not discrimination. Discrimination might be if she refused to rent to you as a single woman.

That doesn't mean she is not prejudiced. She has some weird old-fashioned ideas.

Are you still on a lease or month to month? She can't just raise your rent without notice.

She has a right to inspect the home as long as she gives proper notice. She cannot show up unannounced and gain entry. About the constant comments, why are you talking to her? Generally your only contact should be when you pay your rent or need repairs.
    wop48 Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Jun 24, 2012, 03:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieO View Post
    I've lived at this rental for two and a half years, have always paid my rent on time, and keep up the yard. My husband moved out three months ago, and when I told my landlord about it, she threatened to raise my rent because "a woman can't do everything a man can do." She has been showing up unannounced and now wants to inspect my home. She has been calling my neighbor asking questions about me and who has been around. I live a quiet life.... work, school, etc. I have been keeping up on the rent since he moved out and keeping up the yard, yet she continues to make comments about how a woman can't handle everything on their own and she will have to raise my rent. I look forward to her inspecting my place so she will at least see how clean the inside is, but I'm really getting frustrated with her constant comments about me being single. Is it descrimination?
    Sounds more like harassment

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Religious Descrimination or Hygene? [ 41 Answers ]

French pool bars Muslim woman for 'burquini' suit - Yahoo! News I am no particular friend of the Muslim community. But to me, this smacks of religious descrimination. I have known cases where Muslims have manufactured cases of religious descrimination in order to push a political agenda. ...

View more questions Search