Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peacemaker129 Posts: 83, Reputation: 9

May 20, 2012, 07:54 AM
    Boyfriend help!
    I have a boyfriend who's 16, I'm 15. We have been dating for almost a week. He has had a really rough past, and has trust issues. Yesterday he told me he wasn't 100% attached to be and he was still scared on the inside... I need to know a way to REALLY make him believe I'm not going to hurt him and that he doesn't have to be scared. Any suggestions? I want to spend a long time with him, and I have a feeling if I don't get that one sense to click soon, he's gone :'(
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 20, 2012, 08:13 AM
    Hi peacemaker129,

I'd start by acknowledging to him that you understand his concern about trusting you given his past experiences and that the two of you have only been together for a week. It is perfectly understandable that he doesn't feel 100% attached... the two of you have just started dating! No hurry for some type of commitment. Tell him that you are happy to take things very slowly and spend plenty of time just having fun and getting to know each other better.

From there you just be yourself. Don't push him for anything more than he is comfortable with. Let the time you spend together, talking and sharing thoughts, goals, dreams, having fun be what helps him to see that you are not like the others. Show him your compassion with how you deal with other people as well. Be respectful of your family and friends to show him that you will also be respectful to him. Show your kindness to others so that he will see that you will also show kindness to him. Be honest with friends and family as well, so he sees that too.

It will be all the little things you do together, and what he sees in your character, that will cause him to be more comfortable.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 20, 2012, 05:27 PM
    Maybe it will take a while for him to get comfortable enough with you but its his problem to deal with, not yours. Just be yourself, relax, and give him time to overcome whatever has him fearful.

Sometimes the best help is to do nothing but give them time, and be patient!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Boyfriend working overseas, How can I make things easier for myself and my boyfriend? [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend has had to move back home to work. Basically, so he can get some money together for a deposit on his own place back in London. It's overseas, so its both difficult and expensive to see each other. It's only 3-4 months, which in the bigger picture isn't really all that long, but he's...

My boyfriend mom told me today that my boyfriend was molested as a child [ 4 Answers ]

She asked me to keep it to myself till he tells me one day, we both started to cry, and she feels angry because she didn't know, and if she could, would want to file a late rape charge. It hurts, and I wish he could tell me, and know that I love him no matter what. He recently about 4 months...

Does my Boyfriend love me Is my boyfriend a gold digger he lives thirty minutes away. [ 5 Answers ]

Okay. Before I met this guy I was in a relationship with a guy who I was with for almost a year until we broke up on oct 9th 2010 then I met this guy name lawrence on oct 12th 2010 he approached me on Facebook I was very doubtful of me and him starting a relationship since I just got my...

View more questions Search