Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shablue55 Posts: 61, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2012, 08:07 AM
    Cap on top of chimney
    What does the cap on top of the chimney really do besides not to let rain and snow in.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2012, 08:01 AM
    It will also help to stop backdrafts. The wind can't push down the chimney air column and force back smoke into the room.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 21, 2012, 08:51 AM
    It also deflects debris from trees and birds. Not all chimneys have the "can"
    shablue55 Posts: 61, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2012, 10:59 AM
    Thanks to both of you for your answers.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2012, 11:14 AM
    The cap can be closed when not in use preventing cold air from entering into the room .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chimney cap blew off! [ 17 Answers ]

I finally found the right size chimney cap (size 7) for my chimney. My home inspector recommended it so I didn't get rain down my chimney. Cap looks like this: Amazon.com: Vent Pipe Caps: BIC Superstore I bought a tin one online for about $11 and last weekend, the boyfriend placed it on top...

How can I cut off and cap a pipe in basement to carpet over top [ 4 Answers ]

I have a short black plastic pipe with orange 4inch cap over top sticking out of my basement floor, how can I make this level with my floor to put carpet over top, can anyone help me with this asap. Thanks

Bricks falling of the top of my chimney! [ 26 Answers ]

I knew the top of my chimney had some loose bricks when I bought the house 2 years ago. However, 3 days ago an entire brick fell off the top and took a chunk of shingle with it! I have 2 masons coming to give me an estimate on Sunday. I've been told by a few people that even though it only looks...

Chimney top repair [ 2 Answers ]

I just had my chimney cleaned. As part of te service I was told that I needed to have the top of my chimney resealed around the flue. It is a manonary chimney with 13x13 clay tile liners. Is their anyone out there who can tell me how to do it myself?

Chimney Cap [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know about the quality of a universal chimney cap? It is more economical than our other choices but we have been told they are no good. The only problem is the person telling us they are no good is trying to sell us either a black one for $60.00 Can which apparently isn't great or a...

View more questions Search