Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Aug 28, 2011, 06:40 AM
    NSF61/end point control valve
    Need some help from the pros on NSF61-9--fixtures intended for drinking water.

NSF61-9 references "faucets...and endpoint control valves." It then lists items not covered, among other things "faucets with hose end thread spout."

My questions: What is defined as an endpoint control valve? And
    Would an outside hose bib fit that definition?

All the hose bibs I now see are NSF compliant as I would guess 1)it's easy for the manufacturer to get everything certified, or 2)it may be required for hose bibs. I'm asking as I replumbed my house and the only things NOT NSF listed are the ball type hose bibs from Arrowhead Brass (purchased within the last year), and wonder if I need to change these out. Thanks.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 28, 2011, 10:55 AM
    You have a tough Inspector, that's for sure. As a actively working plumbing contractor in State of California, where most of the "no-lead" regulations have initiated, I have never heard of Inspector questioning legality of hose valves. Except anti-siphon device, of course...

" ....Beginning January 2010, California State Law will require that ALL faucets be replaced with “Lead-Free” compliant products.
    The California law that was passed is Assembly Bill 1953. It lowers the amount of lead that a faucet may be comprised of from 8% to less than 0.25%. After January 2010, all California schools, businesses and homes will have faucets that are effectively obsolete due to the new law's strict requirements...."

FYI: "NSF61" refers to Low Lead fixtures as per California Proposition. The number "9" at the end of that sequence refers to a sampling method for traces of lead that takes 9 random samples, one each day, in 19 day test.

Faucets with hose end thread spout may also be required to be compliant with the Law. Such faucets are routinely installed in commercial applications ( kitchens, food processing plants, labs, darkrooms, etc ). So their exemption is questionable, too. As a rule of thumb, we make sure that all faucets that deliver water for human consumption, are lead free.

However, if those 2 hose valve and its compliance is really such a big issue for your Inspector, just replace them with valves that contain no lead. Don't go to Home Depot. Go to plumbing supplier that caters to professionals. Big Box stores routinely sell materials not compliant with local Codes.

Question: do you have Anti-Siphon attachments on those garden hose valves ? Maybe that's what he is questioning. See the pic...

Back to you. Milo
    Attached Images

Aug 28, 2011, 03:05 PM
    Mike,

No inspector. I installed the valves after the work was done because at the time I couldn't find ball valve hose bibs to my liking. I have very hard water that eats up regular hose bibs. Anyway, I research a lot and was wondering, just for peace of mind, if I was OK with those valves since they are not used for human water consumption. Yep, I do have a backflow preventer on there, not sure if that is NSF either. Hmmmmmmm... Thanks for the info.

Aug 28, 2011, 03:07 PM
    I mean Milo!! What happened to the edit link? Darn these over the internet eyeglasses.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 28, 2011, 08:45 PM
    If that's the case - than I would not worry about it. Good luck. Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Shorted [ 5 Answers ]

Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Shorted what are possible cause codes are p0601 and p0445

Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve circuit Malfunction [ 3 Answers ]

p0443 Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve circuit Malfunction on mazda melinia s 1996 83k?what is the next stip? I cleared the check engine light and it went off ,and after 60miles driving it cames back again?why and how can I fix it ? Also what is the cheapest way to reset...

How to get the drain valve output to point down [ 1 Answers ]

I just changed the leaking drain valve on my Bock water heater. Unfortunately after I have tightened the new drain valve it does not point down, but points to the 2 o'clock location. I used teflon tape. What can I do to get the valve to point downwards. The valve is a 3/4 inch male connection...

View more questions Search