Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    farfellow Posts: 47, Reputation: 6

Jul 4, 2011, 08:15 PM
    Radiator Reservoir Always Empty
    Hello Everyone,
    Hope someone could give me some help. My radiator reservoir is always empty after some long driving. I checked the hose and connections they're all fine. My rad is new, just had it replaced almost a year... so no cracks and is always full, no problem with the cap. Top radiator hose was replaced 2 months ago. I don't see any leak coming from anywhere. My temp gauage when car is running doesn't go beyond the half line. There are no holes in the reservoir itself... so what gives? I have a 95 Honda Civic HB.

Thanks!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2011, 05:58 AM

Leaking head gasket or cracked head? Did the engine overheat before you replaced the radiator? Check the level on the oil dip stick.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2011, 09:48 AM
    Have you filled the coolant reservoir to the cold line before starting? If you use that much coolant, you should also use up radiator capacity, over heat or see white smoke in the exhaust. If it never over heats you have a leak in the recovery system.

Jul 5, 2011, 12:51 PM
    For TxGreaseMonkey:
    I had my head gasket replaced 3 years ago, Oil is fine... it doesn't have that chocolately texture.
    I had the radiator replaced because the plastic near the cap was cracked.

ma0641:
    When I fill the reservoir to the cold line, it would take about up to 3 days for the reservoir to be empty.
    By the way Hayne's manual have no definition for Recovery System... LOL... please elaborate :) Thank you!

Uber Member

Jul 5, 2011, 01:19 PM
    A recovery system is the coolant reservoir you are talking about. If you note, the radiator neck has a tube that goes into the bottom of the reservoir. As the coolant expands during heatup, it flows into the reservoir and as the engine later cools, it is sucked back into the engine by negative pressure. It is a coolant recovery system, not just a reservoir.

Jul 5, 2011, 03:50 PM
    Comment on ma0641's post
    Aaaaaahhhhh gotcha!
    So I took a closer look at the reservoir... the cap doesn't tighten properly.

Jul 5, 2011, 11:04 PM
    So having found out that the reservoir cap doesn't tighten properly; could it be possible that's the problem?
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2011, 01:16 PM
    Sorry to be late getting back, My wife and I just got back from watching the shuttle launch. Could be the reason, some jeeps actually had a radiator cap on the reservoir. Worth a try to replace and shouldn't be to many $$$. My 05 CR-V has a screw on cap.

Sep 22, 2011, 07:48 PM
    Update: The radiator cap is starting to get that carbon build-up around the rim. But the radiator itself doesn't go on empty just the reservoir (after replacement). Kept checking the oil level, still same as before; no chocolately texture nor it doesn't go low.

*sigh* I will my car can talk.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oil in radiator/ radiator is crack [ 3 Answers ]

My radiator has a crack on the side so we been putting in water but now it looks like there is some kind oil and gook in the radiator. Can any one try to help me with his problem

Why the web mail is empty and the outlook express is not empty? [ 1 Answers ]

Why the web mail is empty and the outlook express is not empty?

Why empty oxygen cylinders should be segregated from other empty fuel cylinders? [ 1 Answers ]

Why empty oxygen cylinders should be segregated from other empty fuel cylinders?

01 celica overheating already change the reservoir tank and radiator cap [ 2 Answers ]

01 celica overheating already change the reservoir tank and radiator cap but when I open the radiotor cap I little to let the pressure out it goes back to normal for 2 to 3 miles before. I have to do the same procedure again

Pressurized Hydraulic Reservoir on Wood Splitter [ 3 Answers ]

My Log Splitter is building pressure in the hydraulic reservoir, when the unit is running, And it is blowing out the air vent off the reservoir, making a mess, I also noticed that my \ Oil seal on the hydraulic pump is leaking now? Is the pump sucking air in, causing pressure to build in the...

View more questions Search