Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hj3 Posts: 92, Reputation: 2

Jun 29, 2011, 05:26 PM
    Is data deleted from a portable hard drive using wiping software recoverable?
    I just decided to sell my portable external hard drive. Before listing it for sale, I checked out all the major companies that had trade-in / buyback programs to see if they took hard drives - no luck. When I listed it, I got multiple inquiries. I wiped the drive clean with White Canyons WipeDrive software and I listed that in the ad. My question is, even though I used the wiping software to wipe the drive, is there any chance that say, a computer or software expert (or hacker) could somehow someway, still retrieve the data for their own malicious use? Thanks!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2011, 06:19 PM

Not that I am aware of if you used a good program to wipe it clean. You should be safe. How many people out there actually have such programs to unwipe hard drives anyway? Think about it.
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Jun 30, 2011, 06:03 AM
    It depends on how many passes you made with the wiping utility. One pass will not do it. Besides why would you want to get rid of it? For me the more storage I have the better. You can use the newly wiped drive to store pictures or videos and stuff like that and there-by keep them off the main PC. I rarely keep my externals plugged in, I disconnect them from power until the next time I need them and always use the safely remove usb device before disconnecting.

Jul 1, 2011, 08:16 AM
    Comment on twinkiedooter's post
    Makes sense but you never know... Thanks!

Jul 1, 2011, 08:18 AM
    Comment on Appzalien's post
    Hmmm... that's good advice. I wa sgetting rid of it because I was going to get one with more capacity. But I see where you're coming from and will consider it. Thanks!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2011, 08:12 PM

I also have several external drives. I download a lot of movies and convert and burn them to dvd's but I still like to save a copy of the movie in the external drive just in case I need to reconvert and reburn it.

Heck for the little space they take up on my desk I'm thinking of adding another drive to my collection.

I keep virtually nothing on my PC or laptop - I transfer it all to the externals. This way in case I run into some vicious virus where I have to totally redo my o/s I have all my important stuff saved off the puter where it belongs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Partition after Wiping Hard Drive [ 6 Answers ]

I read a short comment online that said you must format AND create a partition after wiping a hard drive to use it again. I am planning to use Active Kill Disk to wipe an old HDD I have. I understand the need to format after wiping, but I do not understand the need to create a partition. ...

Where is deleted data stored on a hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

Where exactly is data stored on a hard drive after it is deleted from the recycle bin. Which location on the hard drive does it occupy?

Wiping a hard drive [ 22 Answers ]

I have Acronis Disk Director which has the ability to wipe a single partition, or entire unpartitioned drive, only if it is unallocated. If a hard drive has been used and has data on it, I know how to format it. I also know that this does not delete the data. I'm a bit confused. How do you...

Wiping my info from hard drive [ 14 Answers ]

I bought a new tower and am giving my old tower - still working, no problems with it - to a friend. Is there any way to wipe my work from my computer and still leave the OP system intact? I have certainly erased everything but don't know how to permanently delete it so no one can access my...

Wiping hard drive [ 6 Answers ]

Hey, I am trying to wipe my computer absolutely clean, I want a totally empty hard drive so I can just install everything back on.. how might I go about getting ride of the stuff on my hard drive including my operating system? Thanks, ipldthefif

View more questions Search