Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nick_mathew Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2007, 04:00 AM
    Joining hub and spigot with no-hub cast iron pipe
    HELLO GUYS,
    I have a question I hope you could help me. I have an old piping, CAST IRON hub and spigot. It is installed underground with the bell portion protruding for insertion of the soil stack. I would like to use no-hub cast iron pipes for the upper part of my house. Can I easily insert the no-hub pipe into the bell of the hub and spigot pipe? Using same neoprene insert? Or I should have an adaptor, or special materials to do it. Please help. Thanks.:)
    gozanic Posts: 6, Reputation: 4

Feb 7, 2007, 11:44 AM
    What has always worked best for me ( I've been in the remodeling business for 35 years ) is the neoprene adapter, it comes with a stainless steel sleave and clamps. It can only be used "no hub to no hub", so, if one pipe has a hub that hub will have to be cut off. This can be done with a "snap cutter" that can be rented or a saws- all with a large metal cutting blade works fine too.
    Hope this helps
    nick_mathew Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2007, 09:48 PM
    Yeah, I never thought 'bout that. That's the best solution there is.
    Thanks gozanic. You did a lot already.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2007, 05:04 AM
    I would wait and see what Tom says before I cut the bell off. I thing the no hub OD is the same as the non bell end and works fine in a bell.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2007, 10:57 PM
    You have a couple of options here -- You can cut the hub off the old cast iron pipe and make the transition with a 'no-hub band', but this is hit and miss at best, different weights of hub and spigot pipe have been used throughout the years, and the outside diameter will likely be either bigger or smaller, more likely smaller, than today's no'hub cast iron pipe, which means the stainless band will be distorted upon tightening.

Fernco 'tye-seals' are another option, but will require a great deal of brute force.

If it were me, I'd use oakum and lead wool to make the transition.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How does a hub work [ 6 Answers ]

I have telewest broadband and two p.c's. Can I use a hub along with my cable modem to split the signal via ethernet?

Hub vs. No-Hub Drain? [ 12 Answers ]

I am in the process of purchasing a rather expensive shower drain and strainer assembly for my upcoming bathroom remodel. I am being asked whether I want a Hub or No-Hub drain. The contractor is sub-contracting a plumber who said tell them they'll probably use PVC pipe, and whatever is necessary to...

Join 4" PVC to Cast Iron Hub [ 2 Answers ]

I am re-routing the main sewer line that goes through the basement/crawl space of my 70+ year old house. Simply put, there are too many re-plumbs, new lines, and/or patches by previous generations. In the next months, a new kitchen and bathroom downstairs are going to cut into this patchwork 2...

Lead Pipe/cast iron [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! I just removed drywall to fix a drain from a bathroom sink. I found 1.5" soft lead pipe from the p-trap to a 3" hub on the cast iron stack. Can I use some kind of coupler from the lead pipe to new plastic or do I need to replace the entire length of pipe? If I need to replace, what's a good...

Cast iron waste pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I have just bought a 32 yr old house and have started updating some of the fixtures. In our 1/2 bath the previous owners installed a pedistal sink with brass fixtures (p-trap, hot cold valves). We are changing all things brass to brushed nickel. So we took out the sink to paint...

View more questions Search