Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2011, 08:57 AM
    Second hand smoke/tenants' rights
    This is a statement, not a question, but I found it interesting. The question has been asked on AMHD before.

If this should be moved to another section of AMHD, I'm sure it will be.

A Nassau County (NY) Judge has very recently ruled that a landlord’s failure to resolve a tenant’s complaints of cigarette smoke justifies the abatement of the tenant’s rent AND allows the tenant to break the lease without payment of rent to the end of the lease. (I do not yet have the actual case citation.)

The tenant’s claim for expenses (smoke damage/smell on furniture, clothing) was dismissed.

As I understand the case the tenant complained about the cigarette smoke in her apartment caused by other tenants. She did not pay rent for two months and moved, effectively breaking her lease. The landlord sued for the unpaid months - the two where she resided in the apartment and the balance until the end of the lease term.

The Court stated: “Landlords of such dwellings have a corresponding duty to prevent one tenant’s habits from materially interfering with another tenant’s right to quiet enjoyment. When a tenant’s smoking results in an intrusion of second-hand smoke into another tenant’s apartment, and that tenant complains repeatedly, the landlord runs a financial risk if it fails to take appropriate action.” The Judge said that the actual legal issue was whether the smoke was “so pervasive as to actually breach the implied warranty of habitability and/or cause a constructive eviction.”

The tenant met the burden of proof, and it was decided that the landlord’s actions in caulking and sealing vents were “Too little, too late, or included unacceptable conditions.”

A NY County Civil Court case (Poyck v Bryant) was cited. That Judge ruled that second-hand smoke comes under the protection of the warrant of habitability, NY Real Property Law Section 235-b.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2011, 09:35 AM

Hello Judy:

What a liberal pinko judge... I agree with him, though.

excon
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 18, 2011, 01:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello Judy:

What a liberal pinko judge... I agree with him, though.

excon
    :p Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    The tenant met the burden of proof, and it was decided that the landlord’s actions in caulking and sealing vents were “Too little, too late, or included unacceptable conditions.”
    What unacceptable conditions, I wonder?
    LILL Posts: 212, Reputation: 15

Jun 19, 2011, 06:15 AM

Just another reason for me to move out of Nassau County...

Thanks for the info Judy.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2011, 06:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LILL View Post
    Hello L:

So, you think it's GOOD to make tenants suffer with second hand cigarette smoke... Let me guess - you're a smoker...

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 19, 2011, 06:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LILL View Post

Thanks for the info Judy.
    Smokers are fighting a losing battle. Smoke related illnesses are costing billions of dollars. This ruling is only the latest in a series that protects the rights of non-smokers.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2011, 12:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    :p Me too.

What unacceptable conditions, I wonder?

Good question - I'm trying to get my "paws" on the full decision. I also wonder about the burden of proof. Would appear difficult to me.

Found it a fascinating discussion question and interesting decision.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inhailing second hand smoke [ 2 Answers ]

How can secondhand somke affect babies who inhale it

Second hand smoke from crack cocain [ 1 Answers ]

I have to go for blood test, I do not smoke crake but my roommate does will second hand smoke show up in the blood test

Second hand smoke [ 6 Answers ]

Is it possible to get second hand smoke from a smoker or marijuana smoker by KISSING them Scenario: you kiss someone who has just smoked, you can taste it and the smoke is still being breathed from that person's lungs Scenario 2: several days after a person has smoked they still breath out...

Second Hand Smoke on a Child [ 12 Answers ]

My 9yo nephew lives with his mom(single parent) who is a excessive smoker who smokes INSIDE:mad: their home even when my nephew is around. I sometimes visit them in their apartment but could not stay for long because I will end up smelling like an ashtray even if I stay for a few minutes. She...

Second hand smoke [ 1 Answers ]

Will second hand smoke from marijuana or crack cocaine effect a hair follicle drug test? How about if you have oral sex or kissing with a user but you don't use drugs, can their saliva pass drugs into your body that will show up in a hair follicle drug test?

View more questions Search