Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2011, 05:05 AM
    Input on establishing a sholarship.
    I'm going to establish a memorial scholarship to aid students in the nursing program at the local vo-tech school. I've set up a meeting with the school. I'd like input from anyone with first hand knowledge. Thanks in advance.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 29, 2011, 07:00 AM

Hi parttime, there are many rules and regulations, and facets to establishing a scholarship award. I think the website eHow.com offers some great points and advice and sends you in the right direction to obtain proper licensing for this.

eHow | How to Videos, Articles & More - Trusted Advice for the Curious Life | eHow.com › Education

I think you will have to enter 'estabishing a scholarship award' in the search feature before accessing the proper information.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 31, 2011, 01:18 PM

In your meeting with the school you will need to find out what their policy is for establishing a new scholarship fund. Some of the issues to discuss would be:

1. How much do they will require to establish a dedicated scholarship fund account?

2, How is that initial amount going to be generated? I assume you have a figure in mind for your own initial donation. If that amount is not adequate to set up a dedicated scholarship you will need to discuss how to raise more money for it. You should also think ahead of time whether you will be making additional donations in the future, approximately how much, and when?

3. If there will be fund raising to build donations for the scholarship, how will that work? Do you want to take a lead in fund raising efforts? Is there a particular group of people that you feel are good candidates to solicit contributions from (acquantances of the person the fund is named for, for example). Can fund rasing for this cause be combined with other efforts by the school (for example - made part of a larger capital campaign they may be planning)?

4. How will scholarship grants be administered each year? Who decides who gets the scholarship aid? Will a few individuals each year receive fairly large scholarships, or will a larger number of recipients each receive a relatively small amount?

5. How much cash will the fund spin off each year for scholarships? FYI - typically you can expect about 4% - 6% of the principal amount to be spun off each year.

I think that will get you started. Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sholarship to study in europe [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Do any one know about scholarship to study in europe without being a resident in any of the european countries?

I have degree how can I get sholarship in masters economics [ 2 Answers ]

I have degree in finace and development economics now I want continue masters in the stream of economics so how/where can I get scholarship opportunity?

Sholarship in europe [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is Indra Chendrawijaya I'm Indonesian male 22 years old, I'm planning to find a scholarship in europe or in usa... I hope someone could teach me how to apply for it. Much Thanks

How I get magister sholarship program [ 1 Answers ]

Please send me more information about the scholarship and financial aid

View more questions Search