Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shablue55 Posts: 61, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2011, 03:42 PM
    tires cupping
    I own a 08 Ranger 4x4 and am noticing the inside of the tires are cupping, would a wheel alignment fix this problem. Everything on the front end is tight.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 14, 2011, 03:52 PM

Alignment and balancing would prevent the issue from happening and now it would stop it from getting worse. However, nothing is going to get the cupping off your current tire.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 14, 2011, 06:30 PM

Shocks/struts may be the real culprit, where the tires are not being held firmly against the road--the result is bounce and cupping. Other causes of cupping are wheel alignment, worn wheel bearings, excessive tire or wheel runout, and worn balljoints.
    shablue55 Posts: 61, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2011, 08:34 AM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    Balance is fine. I am going to make an appt for an alignment can't hurt.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

May 17, 2011, 08:15 AM

Many 4X4's are notorious for uneven wear on the front tires due to the restrictive nature of the front suspension. Alignment and tire balancing is critical to maintaining tire life but don't forget to rotate the tires following manufacturer's guideline. Some recommend cross-rotating while other recommend simple front-to-back. If your vehicle is equipped with a full-size spare on a matching wheel, you can extend tire life even further.
    Check your owner's manual.

Here's some of what is industry approved:

Name:  1a.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  27.6 KB

Name:  1b.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  15.9 KB

The ultimate goal is to vary the load that each tire "sees" so that all the tires wear evenly. With improvements in tire construction, there is no need to worry about tire separation caussed by moving them from side to side or front to back.

For more, simply Google "tire rotaion guidelines"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tires. [ 3 Answers ]

I'm getting a job at sears auto as a sales lady. I get to sell tires. Does anyone know what I should know about tires to sell, if you also know good websites please let me know. Thank you

Tires and A/C [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 98 Honda Accord lx 4 cylinder 164,000miles, that recently started making noises when I stop or go. It's the tires or the axles, I don't know. But its like a chunky clucking noise. What is that? And how can I fix it? A/C I go visit my sister about 45 minutes away, and if I run my A/C on...

View more questions Search