Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shablue55 Posts: 61, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2011, 11:22 PM
    How to remove a tub in a bathroom.
    WE ARE RENOVATING OUR BATHROOM UPSTAIRS AND ARE WANTING TO PUT A NEW WHITE TUB IN PLACE OF THE EXISTING ONE. The bathroom will have toilet and vanity taken out. How far up from the tub do I have to cut the gyproc in order to remove the tub?
    oneexception Posts: 92, Reputation: 10

Feb 5, 2011, 11:55 PM
    Usually I remove the entire wall, tile & rock, completely when doing a bath renovation. Less to obstruct the new tub and lets you take a look inside the walls giving the opportunity to address any hidden problems that would otherwise go unseen. Were you planning on re-tiling? If not, just take out only what is necessary to get the old tub out and the new one in. Keep in mind, if you weren't planning on re-tiling now but were considering it for the future, its often easier, faster, and cheaper in the long run to do it all at once.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 6, 2011, 07:47 AM

Hi Shablu...

Cast iron or fiberglass/acrylic tub? Let me know as removal depends on tub type.

Asumming a cast iron tub you can either crack it out using a sledgehammer or you can lift the tub out in one piece as I do most of the time. Here, the real trick to cast iron tub removal is in pulling the tub FORWARD so that there is no studs in the way when you lift the tub out (end to end lift). Here, cut the drain pipe off the tub and then remove enough gyprock to pull the tub forward beyond any studs and then lift the tub end up to stand up and remove. I do this by myself most of the time, but will advise you to use two guys for safetys sake... ;)

If you move the tub forward so no studs get in the way then you can remove as little as 8" to 1 foot of gyprock all around the tub and can easily mate the new gyprock to it. Be sure to seal the seam using an alkali-resistant tape and thinset mortar.

If there is any evidence of wicking/moisture damage that remains past the 8" to 1 foot mark then you'll need to go higher.

Questions? Let me know, OK?

Mark
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2011, 01:27 PM
    Comment on massplumber2008's post
    Mark, you're telling me YOU lift a cast iron tub yourself? The last one I removed was 300#+. Had to beat it into 8 pieces. Damn you're strong! Brian
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 6, 2011, 01:38 PM

Hey Brian...

I'm just at 250Lbs and bench press like a son of an itch, so that certainly helps, but I don't exactly "LIFT" the tub as much as I have learned to leverage them up and eventually stand them up and then twist them sideways so I can get a dolly underneath them and wheel them out of the house... ;)

By the way, you and just about every contractor I have met break these babies out using the sledgehammer... probably smartest! I worked with a guy when I was a kid that refused to do it and showed me the tricks and I have been using them ever since.

That being said, I turned 45 awhile ago and honestly, I don't see me doing too many more of these over the years... Not even with help!

:)
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2011, 02:53 PM
    WOW, I'm impressed. I'm 195, got you by 25 years and won't do another cast iron tub. I did install a claw foot a couple of years ago but that sat in a recess and 2 of us moved it in. Looked neat in the old tub enclosure area.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 6, 2011, 09:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    I'm just at 250Lbs and bench press like a son of an itch,
    :)
    Just call him SIR:
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2011, 03:51 PM
    Comment on hkstroud's post
    Oh Yea!
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 7, 2011, 05:09 PM
    What... huh? :D
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Feb 7, 2011, 06:45 PM
    You're bad! But I'll sub my tub jobs to you.

Feb 12, 2011, 07:18 PM
    It is just an ordinary steel tub and it doesn't look to be too heavy.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 12, 2011, 10:09 PM

Great for you! For a steel tub, just disconnect the drain, cut out the tile/cement board as high as needed and lift the tub out. As you said, not a heavy tub at all!

Good luck!

Feb 15, 2011, 11:41 AM
    Already done but found out the proboard has to come off as there was a leak under the toilet.

Feb 15, 2011, 11:44 AM
    Comment on oneexception's post
    Thank you already out but found some wet proboard so will have to replace all of that and then continue on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Remove Tub Stopper [ 3 Answers ]

I have this problem in to tubs. Because of the water in Bel air, MD. The stopper has deteriorated of and the only this left is the part with the threads. I have tried to use pliers inside the drain and turn CCW but there is no much for the pliers to grab on. Any suggestions would be greatly...

My bathroom tub gurgles when I have water draining from the bathroom sink.. [ 2 Answers ]

My bathroom tub gurgles when I have water draining from the bathroom sink.. In addition, I will occasionally get some black specks that will burp out of the sinks overflow drain hole.. Any suggestions on where to start looking to correct these problems?

How to remove tub to rearrange small bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

My 1950s house was built from materials salvaged from an old barn. Tells you how square everything is. My next project is to remodel the bathroom. It is 73" deep by 58" wide. The vanity, toilet and tub are in line on the right 73" wall which backs up to a bedroom closet (wall contains chimney...

Cannot redirect water from tub to shower in Bathroom tub water fixrure [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Mohen bathtub fixture. When pulling the stem on the spout to change from bathtub to shower, water does redirect to the shower head but continues to flow from the tubspout. I have removed the spout and the shower head and the water flows properly (from both) Could someone please advise...

How Do You Remove Sealant From A Tub... [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I just purchased a house and decided to remove the sliding glass shower doors from the tub frame (non-ceramic, plasticky type). After we removed the hardware and tracks we noticed long lines of clear sealant that will not pull off. I am afraid of using a widget or any type of razor...

View more questions Search