Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moonlite Posts: 90, Reputation: 3

Jan 6, 2011, 07:02 PM
    Very low interest rate but high interest payment
    My daughter financed a $22k new car at 1% over six years. She figured her interest payment every month won't be very much. When she received her first bank statement she was surprised to find out that $56 go to interest alone every month and we're trying to make sense why the interest payment is so high at such a very low interest rate (about $270 go to principal) We are trying to see if this sounds right before we call the bank. Anyone good with numbers please respond. Thank you.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 6, 2011, 07:11 PM

The figures are correct.

How much interest does she expect to pay per month?

Here's a similar problem using 5% interest -- http://www.onemathematicalcat.org/Ma...ts.htm#payback
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 6, 2011, 07:17 PM

When she got the loan, there should have been a page, that showed her the cost of the loan,

But it is easy, take the total you borrowed, in your case 22,000, then you take the total payments, @@@ dollars a month times the total number of months,

That figure minus the amount borrowed is the total interest that is to be paid.

Also interest is figured several ways, how is it applied
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 6, 2011, 07:48 PM

Have you ever heard the word amortization? The way ANY loan works is the interest is higher in the beginning and lowers as the loan in paid down. Interest is calculating on the outstanding principal balance which decreases as the loan is paid down.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

High interest rate [ 1 Answers ]

I'm stuck with a high interest mortgage on a mobile home the payoff never goes down so I can't trade because the payoff is more than its worth what should I do

Can you tell us how to get rid of high interest rate Helioc? [ 2 Answers ]

Bought a home about a year ago. 80% of the loan in a 30 yr fixed and 20% in a variable Helioc (no MI). The Helioc is at about 9% interest right now and we "think" we would like to refinance just that part of the loan- we have no need to borrow against the Helioc and can afford larger payments....

View more questions Search