Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FordFx Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Jan 22, 2007, 04:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by K_3
    Actually, in some states you can handle it on your own. Check with the courts and get the proper paperwork and hope for the best. When a step parent wants to adopt a child and you go thru a lawyer it is a simple process for you. Some states may do an evaluation by someone appointed by the courts. We went to the lawyers office once. We signed all of the papers necessary for everything right then. He sent off the one to my X. He called me when he got them back from him. He called me and said the paperwork and her new updated birth certificate was in the mail. It was that simple.
    Thank you so much for your input, if it's that easy it would be great. Guess getting the lawyer is the first step, and just do what needs to be done. Thanks again.

Jan 22, 2007, 04:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Local laws vary. But I don't think you can say its a very simple process. Your attorney made it simple for you because he took care of everything. But make sure the forms were composed properly, dealing the bio parent being in another state, etc were all complexities handled by the atty. Which is why I recommended that Ford retain one.

I am surprised, however, that you did not have to go to court, even if only for the final approval where the judge signs off.
    Thank you for your advice on how to handle this. I can understand that the laws in different states will be different. This is just all a little scary, having never done this before. But seeing as the bio father is agreeing to all this, hopefully it won't be too bad. Thanks again, your time was very much appreciated!

Jan 22, 2007, 04:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    You cannot do this without an attorney and the court process. Just because you two agree does not mean it is done.
    Well can't really say that's what I wanted to hear, but I understand where your coming from. I'm just hoping it won't be a long process. Thank you for your time, I appreciate it.
    K_3 Posts: 304, Reputation: 74

Jan 25, 2007, 07:24 AM
    I have a client that is a lawyer, he said depending on the state and the lawyer, it will cost 500 to 1500. Some states you can do it yourself. Just as you can buy a packet and get your own divorce. Of course he said it would be faster and best to do it through a lawyer. I had another client that got the paperwork off the internet and went that way. She could not remember the site. She said she found it by looking up adoption for step children. It told her the states one could do it in.
    K_3 Posts: 304, Reputation: 74

Jan 25, 2007, 07:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaeleesha
    by the way, i haven't tried asking an attorney around here because when I was looking for someone to represent me in a custody case, the few attorney's I contacted around here wanted about $75 just to talk to them! They wouldn't even give me an estimate on how much the total cost would be!
    The lawyer I talked to said to call a few attorneys again and just see if they will give you a ball park figure. He said there should be one that is not so greedy.

Jan 30, 2007, 12:28 PM
    I have a client that is a lawyer, he said depending on the state and the lawyer, it will cost 500 to 1500. Some states you can do it yourself. Just as you can buy a packet and get your own divorce. Of course he said it would be faster and best to do it thru a lawyer. I had another client that got the paperwork off the internet and went that way. She could not remember the site. She said she found it by looking up adoption for step children. It told her the states one could do it in.
    Thank you so much for trying to help me out with this, all of your information is very helpful. No matter how much it costs me this has to be done, thanks again for your advice:rolleyes:

Jan 30, 2007, 12:32 PM
    The lawyer I talked to said to call a few attorneys again and just see if they will give you a ball park figure. He said there should be one that is not so greedy.
    Here in winnipeg, manitoba we have legal aid lawyers, and if you qualify their free, that's the route I'm going to try first. Maybe this might help you keesha.:rolleyes:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relinquishing Parental Rights [ 9 Answers ]

I am pregnant and the father of the child wants nothing to do with it. He is willing to relinquish his parental rights because he doesn't want to pay child support. He keeps telling me that his lawyer is preparing the proper documentation but I don't believe him. Can he relinquish his rights...

Relinquishing parental rights [ 4 Answers ]

Thanks Scott but I would prefer to do it now and get it over with. I have no problem with being held responsible for the financial obligation but I feel this decision is best for all involved.

Relinquishing parental rights [ 6 Answers ]

I was wondering how lengthy the process for relinquishing your parental rights and if you still have to pay child support after wards... we live in Mississippi

Relinquishing Parental Rights [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am a father of two children in the state of Virginia. At this time I will need to relinquish my parental rights to their mother. Please advise the first steps in this process. Thanks, CB

Voluntarily Relinquishing Parental Rights [ 4 Answers ]

I recently heard that my ex has decided to give up his parental rights on our son. He has recently, within the last year, gotten remarried and his new wife does not like my son, nor does my son like her. She has attempted to physically harm me in his presence and now my son doesn't want to see...

View more questions Search