Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2006, 07:50 AM
    LOL Sentra - you got it!
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2006, 08:20 AM
    Like chuff said, I think I'm going to offend some of you but…

I think we who can do should teach by example. If it is 'readable', read it and reply without comment on the format or spelling. If it is 'un-readable', simply ask them if they could make their point a little clearer. Be kind and gentle. Some people, and not just the younger ones, have struggled to post asking for help. We don't want to restrict our help to those who can read and write properly. Do we?

As for the text thingy, all the kids are doing it. It isn't so difficult to work out. For some people any kind of communication is better than none. Let us give them a break. Okay?

This is the way people are communicating today and we just need to accept that fact. Not everyone is good on a computer but at least they are trying.

And finally, if I may. Some of you comment on “doing them a favour by answering their post.” Doesn't sound very charitable does it? Can we all agree that we do this because we want to help people? And that we are not trying to chalk up points or enhance our Karma?

I have been writing a long time and I know sometimes my brain gets ahead of my fingers and mistakes occur. I try to catch them but some still get through. Forgive me and each other.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2006, 08:32 AM
    Hello:

I'm disappointed at the level of education in this country. My first thought, upon reading some of the posts, are this person is too stupid to even understand what I'm saying. It's probably true, too, but there isn't an education requirement to ask questions, and after I get over my initial rankle, I'll answer.

I do find myself, however, using phrases (like going to, or I dunno) that I don't ordinarily use, but I want my advice to sound familiar and conversational. Shouldn't we write for the reader? What good does it do them, if they don't understand what we said?

Of course, I guess we all have different reasons for giving of our time. Me? I'm waiting to be discovered...

excon
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2006, 09:09 AM
    :cool:
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello:

I'm disappointed at the level of education in this country. My first thought, upon reading some of the posts, are this person is too stupid to even understand what I'm saying. It's probably true, too, but there isn't an education requirement to ask questions, and after I get over my initial rankle, I'll answer.

I do find myself, however, using phrases (like gonna, or I dunno) that I don't ordinarily use, but I want my advice to sound familiar and conversational. Shouldn't we write for the reader? What good does it do them, if they don't understand what we said?

Of course, I guess we all have different reasons for giving of our time. Me? I'm waiting to be discovered........

excon
    Comic relief, always works!! :cool: Unfortunately we've become a country of fast talkers and abbreviated messages, the microwave is too slow, (and the internet, how many times to you say to yours, "come-on"... 'cause it's too slow.) Traffic lights, they are only fast if your on the phone or adusting the mirror to check your lipstick! Then of course you have to understand, not eveyone is as fortunate, to be educated , so to them just getting an answer to a question that's burning in their head is all that matters!! OK I ranted enough, Life is good!:cool:
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2006, 10:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bluerose
    Like chuff said, I think I'm going to offend some of you but…

I think we who can do should teach by example. If it is 'readable', read it and reply without comment on the format or spelling. If it is 'un-readable', simply ask them if they could make their point a little clearer. Be kind and gentle. Some people, and not just the younger ones, have struggled to post asking for help. We don't want to restrict our help to those who can read and write properly. Do we?

As for the text thingy, all the kids are doing it. It isn’t so difficult to work out. For some people any kind of communication is better than none. Let us give them a break. Okay?

This is the way people are communicating today and we just need to accept that fact. Not everyone is good on a computer but at least they are trying.

And finally, if I may. Some of you comment on “doing them a favour by answering their post.” Doesn‘t sound very charitable does it? Can we all agree that we do this because we want to help people? And that we are not trying to chalk up points or enhance our Karma?

I have been writing a long time and I know sometimes my brain gets ahead of my fingers and mistakes occur. I try to catch them but some still get through. Forgive me and each other.

AMEN BLUE ROSE!! WITH YOU 100% ON THIS ONE!!
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2006, 10:31 AM
    To me this is a site to help people. Who more than likely have a great deal of pain they are dealing with. Yes, some of the messages are hard to decipher, but most, you can understand clearly, that they are in pain and in need of help.

Actually, I was more annoyed at someone correcting someone's grammar, on a previous post, when it was very clear what the poster was saying. And that poster was in true pain.
    Her grammar and words were not the best and the abbreviations were many, but it was clear she was in pain. It still annoys me when I think about it. It was the first time the poster came here and I don't believe she came her for an English lesson.

Anyway, I do understand what you are saying, but please keep in mind, most of these folks have some serious pain and hurt they are experiencing, they need our understanding and the best guidance we can give them. Hopefully they come back, and you will start to see the healing process. If you wish to help them out grammatically, then Private message them.

Sorry, still upset at this issue. Bad enough folks are hurting, they have to express it with the correct punctuation and spelling? I know the trend today is all the abbreviations, but
    In a way they have created their own language, and thankfully we are wise enough to adapt.

Sorry again, but this one just got to me.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Nov 29, 2006, 11:01 AM
    Maybe what we are discussing is more like what is implied with how some of it gets posted. It can come off as a kind of who cares attitude, like whatever and soooooo -- and while its all good and fine to feel free like that, there still remains in the world (even cyber world) a cause and effect connection. And one of the oldest still in force is this: Manners matter, even here.

If there is genuine reason to be posting like some are, then that is different. But all any of us have here to make any kind of impression is words with little tone to them. That means all the other nuances-- spelling, grammar, punctuation, capitalization, creativity. Etc take on the role instead. If it comes across as disrespectful, then that is not good. Newcomers who hang around learn that, newcomers that don't learn that don't get responded to as much and usually don't stay. It solves itself like that as long as we respond well ourselves.
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2006, 03:09 PM
    Val,

I do understand what you are saying, and yes, manners always do matter. Disrespect is never acceptable in any arena. Fortunately, I haven't come across any disrespect on any of the post I have read. I spend most of my time in the Relationship threads, which sadly, most of the posters are in deep turmoil or and or pain.

I do apologize if I came across as to having my knickers too much twisted, it just struck a cord with me. I read some of these post, from guys and girls, who actually tell us they are crying while typing, it rips my heart out every time. I think under those conditions it is hard to think about proper grammar and such, when the emotions start pouring out on the keyboard.

I most definitely know what all of you mean about the abbreviations. I usually have to read those post several times.

Anway, just my thoughts on it all.

Allheart
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2006, 10:19 AM
    [QUOTE=Allheart]To me this is a site to help people. Who more than likely have a great deal of pain they are dealing with. Yes, some of the messages are hard to decipher, but most, you can understand clearly, that they are in pain and in need of help.

Actually, I was more annoyed at someone correcting someone's grammar, on a previous post, when it was very clear what the poster was saying. And that poster was in true pain.
    Her grammar and words were not the best and the abbreviations were many, but it was clear she was in pain. It still annoys me when I think about it. It was the first time the poster came here and I don't believe she came her for an English lesson.

Anyway, I do understand what you are saying, but please keep in mind, most of these folks have some serious pain and hurt they are experiencing, they need our understanding and the best guidance we can give them. Hopefully they come back, and you will start to see the healing process. If you wish to help them out grammatically, then Private message them.

Sorry, still upset at this issue. Bad enough folks are hurting, they have to express it with the correct punctuation and spelling? I know the trend today is all the abbreviations, but
    In a way they have created their own language, and thankfully we are wise enough to adapt.

Sorry again, but this one just got to me.[/QUOTE

TOTALLY AGREE!!
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2006, 10:22 AM
    The point of this site is to give opinions, reflection and advice to people who are looking for outside help. So I totally agree we're getting away from this point if we're grading their spelling and use correct sentence application.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 30, 2006, 10:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    but I want my advice to sound familiar and conversational. Shouldn't we write for the reader? What good does it do them, if they don't understand what we said?
    I totally agree with this one!!

In the medical boards, it is almost essential that correct grammar be used. Many abbreviations can and do mean many different things. So, for me to answer accurately I have to be able to understand what the message is EXACTLY.

I also like to answer in a manner that the OP will understand. I could go off and talk in all medical terms, but that may go over a lot of heads.

When I run into the long runon paragraphs I usually have to just pass that question up. I also have a hard time... reading posts that go from... one idea to another... using elipses... I am guilty of it myself... though.:rolleyes:

Although it is much easier reading in good ole' plain english and correct sentence and paragraph structure.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 30, 2006, 02:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lovelesspa
    The point of this site is to give opinions, reflection and advice to people who are looking for outside help. So I totally agree we're getting away from this point if we're grading their spelling and use correct sentence application.
    While I agree that it is not always pertinent to correct grammar and spelling, I do agree there are times when its appropriate. I certainly agree that the "point of this site is to give opinions, reflection and advice to people who are looking for outside help". But I don't agree that the opinions, reflection and advice be restricted to the question asked. What's wrong with also advising people that they can communicate better if they use proper grammar and spelling?
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2006, 04:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    While I agree that it is not always pertinent to correct grammar and spelling, I do agree there are times when its appropriate. I certainly agree that the "point of this site is to give opinions, reflection and advice to people who are looking for outside help". But I don't agree that the opinions, reflection and advice be restricted to the question asked. What's wrong with also advising people that they can communicate better if they use proper grammer and spelling?
    Exactly. I'm reading some of your comments and I want to make it clear, as I did in my original post that I'm not talking about someone who misspells a word or forgets a period here and there. I get the gist of what that person is saying. I actually wish I had copied a couple of these that I'm referring to so that you can see what I'm really getting at because I think some people are assuming that some of us are correcting every little bit of grammar which is not the case.

Before you jdg me I tnk you shld no that I'm knot a bad peeps I'm saying you don't no me so why did you say you new me

Above is just a bad example I came up with on the spot. Imagine that for about 10 paragraphs that isn't separated by any periods or breaks. It's just hard to read, and while I appreciate that we should be helping others when they are down and agree that for some to come here it does take some courage that gibberish is absurd. I can get a "b4" instead of before or a "u" instead of you but to do that in multiple paragraphs is with other words is just annoying. It doesn't help me the reader or the poster as I can't offer help to that person. What's worse is that some people will just not answer so the original poster is left feeling that his or her problem wasn't worth answering which may not be the case.
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2006, 04:24 PM
    LOL - Sorry I do get what you are saying. Oh my. I haven't come across any that bad, not even close.
    imation Posts: 284, Reputation: 36

Nov 30, 2006, 04:27 PM
    I agree, I am definitely guilty of it myself, but I always 'try' to use proper grammar when typing, texting, or writing a letter to someone.
    'u' for you, is acceptable, '2' for to, is pushing it... but things like tnk, tghr, or any other completely unnecessary abbreviation is just silly..
    Oh and one more think I want to point out, imagine all the people replying to this post and how much they would have made sure they used correct grammar haha
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2007, 06:21 PM
    When I first posted this it was after I noticed this happening a lot. Naturally as this post was in full swing I could not find an example to save my life. But the following is an example of what I was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by namechangedtoprotecttheguilty
    hi me and this guy like each otha bu he doesnt want a relationship wich i said cool
    bu we still play and da bu we havnt slept with each otha we jus kiss and touch bu the otha day we went out and i dint let him do wat he wanted he wanted to go further bu i dint let him so he was in a mood and said wat u wanna do now i said dnt know wat u wanna do he said go hom i was soo cut up the way he said it so i said ok he said u ok i just walked away then went bak coz i wass so pissd off with him we talked then i said i kno u want me to fuk of so i will he said ok we havnt talked for bou 1 week i saw him 4 days after the incident and i jus dint talk to him at all i could see he wanted to even ma sista said he keeps lookin at u and wants to talk to u then i was goin i said bye and kissed all my friends guys and girls and he jus looked at me and was soo upset i dint say bye he was like lookin to say to me u not gonna say bye i couldnt belive i could get that out of him because hes 1 of them that likes to jus have fun with girls and used to gettin his way bu with me he dint then ma sista saw him look gobsmaked that i was kiisn otha guys on the cheek ofcourse and not lettin on to him we havent spoken 4 abou 1 week bu its killin me coz i kno he wants to talk to me bu priide is stopin him please help me its always me who makes the first step to talk most of the time now i think its his turn please help me after everythin i still like him its drivin me crazy coz i kno im toio good for him but can't help it.

That is exactly the kind of gibberash I was referring too. Forget this forum, how can someone get through life like that. I know sometimes I can get a little scarcastic but I'm not lying when I say I can read my 6 year old nephews stuff better than that.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 24, 2007, 09:59 PM
    I agree completely!

I am guilty of commenting to a poster that she should complete her education and THEN worry about a guy because of JUST such a post.

Most of the time, I won't even read them. What kind of help are they getting if others like myself have that attitude? I wouldn't try to respond to someone speaking Greek, German, or Japanese, either.

I speak English. And a little bit of French. Speak (type) in those languages if you'd like my help.

I don't speak txt fluently. I can understand some of it, but I choose not to make myself look that stupid.

I realize that some posters are in AGONY when they post. I do my best to help those I can without comment. And I'm not worried about normal grammar and spelling mistakes---those happen to the best of us (and I'm terrible about typing faster than I should and transposing letters). Like Chuff, it's the nonsense that they should send to their friends in a text message on a phone.
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2007, 10:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen
    I realize that some posters are in AGONY when they post. I do my best to help those I can without comment. And I'm not worried about normal grammar and spelling mistakes---those happen to the best of us (and I'm terrible about typing faster than I should and transposing letters). Like Chuff, it's the nonsense that they should send to their friends in a text message on a phone.

Exactly. I think some people took my original post to mean every little grammar error. That's not what I meant at all. I also type faster than I can think or is it think faster than I can type? Either way I don't care if someone misspells a word or forgets a period. If I can get the main gist of what the poster is saying that's fine. And as you point out some people are in emotional pain. I know one poster PM a few days later after I helped her and admitted she was in tears when we were corresponding. Even though it's a faceless interaction it does take a lot of courage for some people to come here and just admit that something isn't going right. That step alone is huge for some people. I can understand that and I'm not knocking them for bad grammar.

But that example above. What the hell is that? Jeez, I live in Florida and everything's bilingual down here, and although I don't speak Spanish I can still pick it up words easier than that that thing up above which was supposed to be some kind of English. That's not sarcasm again either. That's the honest to God truth. I can pick up words in a different language easier than I can read that "English" above.

I'm sorry but if they want adult help type like and adult. Actually if they want help at any age, type that age. Just make it understandable to the reader.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search