Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chrisdeis2000 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2010, 06:12 AM
    What Christian denominations to not celebrate Christmas
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2010, 11:31 AM

I don't know of any traditional Christian denominations that don't. There are some sects on the periphery of Christianity who don't celebrate Christmas and other holidays, but as far as the vast majority of denominations are concerned, there's no problem with it.

Why do you ask?
    chrisdeis2000 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2010, 12:18 PM
    A friend's son and daughter in law are raising their son well I gather. However they won't let their son's grandmother celebrate his birthday for "philosophical reasons." Also Christmas. It sound a bit like Jehovah's Witnesses, but I suspect there are other branches and sects in Christianity that do not observe them. Of course it might not have to do with "Christianity" at all but simply reflects their orientation. Just interested and feeling sorry for the our friend, the grandmother, who is unable to celebrate and observe.
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2010, 08:03 PM

That definitely sounds like Jehovah's Witnesses.
    RustyFairmount Posts: 165, Reputation: 40

Dec 4, 2010, 09:46 PM
    I cannot comprehend any "Christian" that would not celebrate Christmas. The redeeming value of Christ's death was only possible because of His birth! He needed to be the son of man for His sacrifice to be meaningful.
    Teddy3indc Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

Dec 5, 2010, 07:05 AM
    Unitatrians
    Unitarian Universalist
    Jehova's witness
    ... Actually many others don't.
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2010, 10:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy3indc View Post
    Unitatrians
    Unitarian Universalist
    Jehova's witness
    ........Actually many others don't.
    Agreed. It was the combo of Christmas and birthdays that made me think JW.
    Moparbyfar Posts: 262, Reputation: 49

Dec 20, 2010, 05:53 AM

I'm sure the grandmother could celebrate in her own way. If they are JW's then she could always give the prezzies before or after the particular dates or she could discuss having a special "Family Day" where everyone exchanges gifts. Many JW's do this anyway so as not to honor one individual above another but still have the joy of giving.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2010, 11:36 AM

The Puritans of New England did not celebrate Christmas - "papist idolatry" they called it. Not Biblical.

This continued for almost 250 years until the late 19th century when this particular brand of fundamentalism finally disappeared.
    bettybundy Posts: 7, Reputation: 0

Jan 29, 2012, 12:48 AM
    Well, think! Who celebrated birthdays in the bible. Nobility. Oh and john the bapist was beheaded on a kings bd. It was custom to come bearing gifts to a king and the wise men knew jesus was a king. Their info was from the reading of the stars, which god said have nothing to do with that. Who of gods people celebrated their bd. We are to be umble in all things.
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Jan 29, 2012, 02:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bettybundy View Post
    WELL, THINK! WHO CELEBRATED BIRTHDAYS IN THE BIBLE. NOBILITY. OH AND JOHN THE BAPIST WAS BEHEADED ON A KINGS BD. IT WAS CUSTOM TO COME BEARING GIFTS TO A KING AND THE WISE MEN KNEW JESUS WAS A KING. THEIR INFO WAS FROM THE READING OF THE STARS, WHICH GOD SAID HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT. WHO OF GODS PEOPLE CELEBRATED THEIR BD. WE ARE TO BE UMBLE IN ALL THINGS.

The caps lock is on the left hand side of the keyboard . If you push it it will go to lower case letters.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2012, 05:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyFairmount View Post
    I cannot comprehend any "Christian" that would not celebrate Christmas. The redeeming value of Christ's death was only possible because of His birth! He needed to be the son of man for His sacrifice to be meaningful.
    Actually I grew up in a place they called Plymouth Brethern. The group of believers never took a name but that is what the world called them. These meetings were started by John Darby. ANYway, we didn't celebrate Christmas. (my family did but the group as a whole didn't and still does NOT) The reason being that the Lord didn't ask us to remember his birth but only his death. I never agreed with this line of thinking even as a child. But there are probably plenty of Christian groups that don't celebrate it as Christ's birth.
    celanith Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2012, 07:55 AM
    Most of the Sabbatarian churches except for Seventh Day Adventists do not observe Christmas due to pagan origins, nor do Messianic Jews, most Pentecostal's don't nor do many Mennonites or Amish nor do Unitatians in the USA alone over 390,000 Christian denominations do not observe Christmas, Easter, Halloween, Valentine's Day, St Patricks Day, April Fools Day, May Day, or any other pagan origin day. This does not even take into account, Hindu's, Buddists, Muslims and other religious groups around the world. Only ignorant or willfully ignorant rebellious people observe these highly pagan origin and highly commercialized for profit holidays.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2012, 08:18 AM
    Celanith,
    DID YOU KNOW...
    Our own calendar and days of the week are pagan. PLEASE! Who cares? If we aren't celebrating it as pagan it isn'[t pagan. Paul said Christians could eat meat that was originally sacrificed for idols. It is what is in the heart that God looks upon. For the love, the days of the week are named after pagan gods. I suppose we should call Monday something other than Monday. Or perhaps not even get up on Monday... ( now THAT IS a thought ha ha)

As far as being "willfully ignorant and rebellious people" because one observe these holidays... that is utterly rude and biblically wrong. Paul called Christians who were afraid to eat meat that was for idols WEAK Christians. I'd say the same for observing Holidays.

But I believe Jesus said it best... gag on a knat and swallow and camel. It soooooo applies!

Happy ThursDAY to you.
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2012, 09:38 AM
    "Happy ThursDAY to ya."

Don't you mean "Thor's Day"?? Oops. I guess I was a little late; it's Freia's Day now.

Nicely done, T.
    WDaniels Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2013, 10:20 AM
    I agree with what you are saying. I have celebrated Christmas all of my life and now at 40 I am realizing that it is derived from pagan origin. The Bible is clear that he wants us to commemorate his death not his birth.
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2013, 01:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    I agree with what you are saying. I have celebrated Christmas all of my life and now at 40 I am realizing that it is derived from pagan origin. The Bible is clear that he wants us to commemorate his death not his birth.
    My alter ego Sir Nitpick says:

Actually, he wants us to commemorate the dual event of his death AND resurrection. The one without the other is meaningless. In addition, he never said NOT to celebrate his birth. So, as Paul said, let each be convinced in their own mind.

Now that he's had his say, I respond:

I can't escape the feeling that questions like this one are a smokescreen by the Enemy, to distract our minds from the real cruxes of Christian life and behavior. Loving our neighbors, caring for the poor and spreading the Good News strike me as much more important, and You-Know-Who doesn't really like it when we get focused on those things, so I suspect he comes up with controversies like this to deflect our attention into areas that really don't matter.

But that's just me. Your mileage may vary.
    freeman4 Posts: 102, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2013, 07:26 AM
    Search the scriptures and you will not find Christmas mentioned anywhere. The word Easter is inserted for Passover. Not one day that is observed by most individuals such as Christmas, Easter and many more are of God.

But people say that because they put Christ or God in the picture it is OK with them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why do we celebrate Eid Milad-un-Nabi(P.B.you.H)if to celebrate a birthday is wrong? [ 3 Answers ]

Why do we celebrate Eid Milad-un-Nabi(P.B.U.H)if to celebrate a birthday is wrong?

Define Christmas in christian terms? [ 14 Answers ]

Is Christmas a belief or a practice? Jesus was not born on December 25 and I don't know where to look. I'm reading a Good news book and it states Christmas is not a religion, but a pagan belief.

38,000 christian denominations in the world? [ 10 Answers ]

Another post reminds me of this that I've wondered about often... 38,000 is the number of christian denominations used by a lot of people, but I have yet to see a list of them from a reputable source. Does anyone have a source for this number that includes a list, or at least an explanation at...

What are the currently most active denominations in Africa? [ 3 Answers ]

I need you to help me asap. What are the currently most active denominations in Africa? Please help me! 0.0

Christian Denominations in the you.S. [ 3 Answers ]

There are 38,000 Christian denominations worldwide. How many denominations are there just in the U.S.

View more questions Search