Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kingjulianparty Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Oct 13, 2010, 05:22 PM
    I was hit by a car but not seriously injured...
    I was hit by a car in a parking lot beside my job. I was not seriously injured however I did go to the ER and ended up with a nice bill. I called the other person's insurance and filed a claim but I received a letter from them today saying that they can not go forward with my claim until I leave a recorded statement of all of the details etc until they can go forward with my claim. I was just wondering if this is true. HELP!
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 13, 2010, 05:33 PM

Did you go to their office to file rather then just over the phone? They need documentation to back up the claim. If they are willing to accept the record on voice it's the same thing. They need to know what happened before they pay out.

Oct 13, 2010, 05:37 PM
    No I did it over the phone but I did fax the police report. I forgot to mention I was walking, and not in a car. They have only called me once but I wanted them to be able to get in touch with the person who hit me to get their story first before I started talking. Because the last their insurance comp told me was that they had not been able to get in touch with their policy holder yet. So I was waiting on them to get in touch first and then another phone call but that did not happen instead I got a letter.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 13, 2010, 06:02 PM

Can they proceed, I guess they can if you don't give one, they may just deny it. Had you been in a car my answer would be different, but you will have to give them a statement of exactly what happened, you can
    1. read your police report statement as your statement.
    2. write out one if there was any info you needed to add.

I would not do it, without a written statement that I would read.

Please understand, they want you to say something, that may show you were somewhat at fault

Oct 13, 2010, 06:52 PM

And that brings me to the question of weather or not I need a lawyer... I don't really want to go through all of that seeing how I am OK and all. I do have one more thing I need to follow up on dr. wise though.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 13, 2010, 06:56 PM

How big is your claim ? Did you have hospital insurance that paid most of it ? ( if so, if you sue and win, the hospital has to or should be paid back, so be sure to consider that)
    Did you lose work? Will there be future injury.

If you are talking about a couple thousand dollar hospital bill, and all you want is it paid, I would think with most companies, it should be no problem, And of course you can always get one if they deny it.
    But then one never hurts,

Oct 13, 2010, 07:16 PM

Thanks for the advice!!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2010, 10:33 AM

I'm a liability investigator - do NOT give a statement to the other company without thinking things over very long and hard. As FrChuck said it is the "job" of the insurance company to pay you less, not more. They are not your friends. "Anything you say can and (most probably) will be used against you." The company will be looking for fault on your part.

That's as simple as saying you never saw the car until it struck you. You should be paying close attention. If so, then you WOULD have seen the car before it hit you. Do you know what I mean?

Be careful. If you are only asking for reimbursement of medical expenses I see no problem and it very well may be automatic (that's by State). If you EVER intend to ask for pain/suffering then do NOT talk to the insurance company unless you speak to an Attorney.

Oct 28, 2010, 07:12 PM

Thanks for the advice JudyKeeTee. I did return the insurance claim person but was not able to get in touch with them so I left a voice mail and they did NOT call me back. So then I was like should I keep trying or leave it alone. So I have decided to look for an attorney for my protection.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I hit one car in the parking lot when I am reversing my car [ 6 Answers ]

The other car got some scratches at bumper and tail light got damgaed only so my question is that does it affect my pubilc record and what type of point will I get,does it required any police report for claims?

A lady hit my parked car and lied about it I did not see her hit it [ 4 Answers ]

A lady hit my parked car and lied about it I did not see her hit it but she told me she did

We were hit by a car and pushed into another car. Whose at fault? [ 4 Answers ]

We were hit by a car and pushed into another lane and hit a car, the police report states this and the officer said it was not our fault, but the lady we hit ,insurance is coming after us. Can we fight this or do we have to pay for it. We live in TN.

Car was hit by another car when reversed from the parking lot [ 19 Answers ]

My car was parked on one-side of parking lot with one-way aisle. When I reversed my car to the middle of the aisle, I stopped there as I found a car from the parking lot behind my car rapidly reversed and hit on my car. My car was damaged with a deep dent and caused problem with the light-signal...

How much $ to ask injured in car wreck [ 7 Answers ]

I was not wanting to hire an attorney, I was rearended June 15, 2008. My shoulder was injured I sought medical care that day at critical care. I am now having to face shoulder surgery. Forgot to mention this happened the day before I started a new job so I have no sick time. So far my health...

View more questions Search