Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    barrymclaren Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2010, 09:49 AM
    What would cause a toilet trap to dry out over a period of 5 days?
    What would cause a toilet trap to dry out in 5 days? One of three toilets is doing this in my house.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2010, 10:00 AM

Sounds like a problem with the waste stack vent being at least partially obstructed. It sucks the water out of the path of least resistance trying to get the air for the other flushes. It's the one that sees the least use I assume.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 21, 2010, 10:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by barrymclaren View Post
    What would cause a toilet trap to dry out in 5 days? One of three toilets is doing this in my house.
    Several things could cause this situation,
    1) Could be a blocked vent that suctions the water out, Any gurgles or noise when you flush or drain? **OR**
    2) Something has been dropped in the bowl causing the water to seep out over time, n This could have been a small glass bottle that went down the pipes when the toilet was flushed.
    I can't say for sure but my bet's on door #2.
    Good luck, Tom
    Sorry Smoothy, I posted on top of you.
    barrymclaren Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2010, 10:39 AM

Gents:

Thanks for the rapid response. The obstructed vent was my first thought also. However, that would not suck all of the water out of the trap (only that which would cause the siphon action to breathe.
    I have 3 toilets in the house. Only one is doing this and it happens within 5 days of last use.

Barry
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2010, 10:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by barrymclaren View Post
    Gents:

Thanks for the rapid response. The obstructed vent was my first thought also. However, that would not suck all of the water out of the trap (only that which would cause the siphon action to breathe.
    I have 3 toilets in the house. Only one is doing this and it happens within 5 days of last use.

Barry
    Try this... flush that one so the water level is at normal height.

After the tank refills have someone flush the other toilets while you watch the water in the bowl on this one. You shouldn't see more than a ripple on the water.

Just trying to perform a process of elimination of what its not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Period is 10 days late, negative pregnancy test about 3 days ago [ 10 Answers ]

My period is 10 days late, negative pregancy test about 3 days ago... I am just wondering if I am pregnant or not? My husband and I have been trying for about 4 months.. I usually get my period by now.

My period was only two days normally its 4 days, I feel movement in my lower abdomen [ 1 Answers ]

I normally have a 4 - 5 days period. This month it was only two days and was heavy the first day and the second day it was light. It feels like movement in my lower abdomen and my breast has a tingly feeling. I had unprotected sex all the time without using any protection. Could I be pregnant?

If don't have floor trap in toilet room how to solve the floor trap problem [ 4 Answers ]

We have separated toilet and bathroom in my hdb flat. There's not provided floor trap in our toilet room. Now we have to make a hole in the wall between toilet and bathroom and the water flow from this hole to the bathroom. But not all the water are not flowing to the bathroom. Can you help me to...

View more questions Search