Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mad_max69 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2010, 03:45 AM
    Can I garnish social security in canada
    Someone owes me money but there are on welfare .my question is can I get them check gaishrn every month to repay the debt.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 5, 2010, 04:06 AM

No.
    Iknowalotofstuff Posts: 144, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2010, 03:17 PM

You appear to be using US terminology when referring to a Canadian Citizen.

Canada's equivalent to social security is the Canada Pension Plan. While CPP cannot be garnished at source, most recipients have their CPP entitlement direct deposited to their personal bank account. When the funds are deposited they become the personal property of the recipient and cease to be CPP. At this point the funds in the bank account can be garnished. CPP is not welfare.

Welfare benefits cannot be attached at source or in a bank account by statutory provision,

There appears to be a matter of principal here. You are owed money and should be paid. Unfortunately, it may cost you more than it is worth to get it back and take an very long time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much can IRS garnish from Social Security? [ 17 Answers ]

I was wondering how much the IRS can garnish from my social security check? I owe back taxes and they just sent me a letter stating they are going to take almost 45% of my social security check. It is going to leave me unable to pay my rent and utilities. Can they really take up to almost 50%. ...

Can social security garnish my paycheck? [ 3 Answers ]

Social Security Disability are trying to garnish my paycheck. I was on DISABILITY for a few years and I am able to work now. SSDI says I owe back payment, and I do not. SSDI will not give me a hearing to prove my case and now turn my case over to collection agency. They are threatening to...

Can the IRS garnish disability from social security? [ 2 Answers ]

I owe the IRS about 40 grand. I had 3 strokes recently and have applied for social security disability. If approved for disability my monthly check would be about 1800 dollars. What can I do to keep the IRS from my meager check?

IRS can they garnish my social security check [ 6 Answers ]

IRS can they garnish my socila security check

Can Social Security garnish their own checks? [ 2 Answers ]

I am about to file for S.S. benefits at age 62. I was told I owed S.S. money some years ago. I filed a waiver and was exonerated from paying some $9,000. I just received another form-inquiry from S.S. to complete asking what I did with some $5,000. This money was covered under the waiver I had...

View more questions Search