Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Green Elephant Posts: 106, Reputation: 8

Jul 26, 2010, 06:04 PM
    Do puppies get easier as they grow?
    Hello,

Last week I got a 7 week old German Shepherd/ Husky pup. I love the little guy already and I couldn't be having more fun with him.

I'm currently kennel training him, and although he cried for hours the first few nights I had him home, now he'll only cry for a couple minutes before falling asleep. He's OK with potty training so far, few accidents in the house, but I'll usually take him out every half our or so.

My question is, although I love the guy, it's extremely stressful (Which I expected a new puppy to be) with potty training, not minding, and the crying. I was wondering if it gets less stressful as puppies get older?

Again, I fully understand the stresses of having such a young puppy, and I'm being as patient as I can be. It would just give me some extra encouragement if I knew it will get a bit easier once he's potty trained and all that.

Any suggestions or encouragement would be much appreciated of course.
    bleusong52 Posts: 239, Reputation: 46

Jul 26, 2010, 06:16 PM

Yes, it does get easier as the dog grows up and understands the rules and expectations you have for him.

But you have duties and responsibilities to that dog - to be consistent in your approach and training, to be patient, loving, and remaining calm. A puppy does not need an owner who does not always follow through.

Also consider obedience training. It is a wonderful class and a good bonding experience for you and your dog.

Good luck with being a new parent.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 26, 2010, 06:24 PM

Puppies are like newborn babies, lots of work, stress, and crying. Thankfully, they don't take nearly as long to mature as human babies do.

Your pup is very young. In fact, he should still be with his mother. In most States it's illegal for a breeder to let a puppy be adopted until 8 weeks of age. Because he's only 7 weeks old, he'll be more whiny. He still needs the comfort of the pack, and to be all alone right now, it's too much for him to handle.

Crate training is great, but make sure that puppy isn't left in the crate for long periods during the day. The general rule is one hour per month of age. At his age, less than 2 hours a day in the kennel.

The potty training is another issue that will take time. He's very young, and young puppies don't potty train as easily as, say, a 3 month or 4 month old puppy. He can't hold his bladder for very long, so he will have more accidents. When he does do his business outside, lots of praise, treats, make sure he knows that you're very proud of him. If he has an accident, just pick him up, put him outside, and tell him "potty" or whatever other word you want to use to signal that it's time to do his thing. Don't get mad, don't yell, don't hit, just pretend it didn't happen, and then show him where you want him to go. He has no idea. This is something he has to learn, and some dogs catch on quicker than others. I've never met a dog that hasn't learned, but at his age, it may take a while. Patience and praise, this won't last forever.

It will get easier. You've chosen an active breed that requires a lot of work, but the whining, the potty training issues, all of that will get easier with age and training. The first few weeks are the hardest. After that, you'll soon look at him and not even recognize the puppy you brought home. In fact, you may even miss the shoe chewing, crying, and total dependency he has on you right now. :)

At this age it's very important that he has socialization. A puppy socialization course would be a good idea, but not until he's had all 3 sets of his puppy shots. After that, sign up for a class, let him meet other dogs, learn to socialize, and make sure that he gets plenty of exercise and stimulation as the husky in him can get destructive if their needs aren't met.

At 6 months you should have him neutered. This will help with any aggression he may exhibit when he's fully mature.

Most of all, enjoy this time. They grow up so fast. The puppy stage is so short, and bitter sweet. One day you'll look back, remember all his puppy antics, and you'll smile. :)

Jul 26, 2010, 06:59 PM
    Thank you both very much. He's such a great pup, and he's a lot of fun although a lot of work. I'm excited for him to grow and develop into a strong healthy dog who can be my right hand guy :)
    poppycorn Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2010, 07:28 PM

A few years ago, our German Shepherd died. We had only had her for 7 years before she got sick. She was such a joy. When we first got her, it was like the movie Old Yeller. She was a handful. Constantly chewing everything in sight, could never pet her without her biting (mouthing), always jumping on us, etc. My daughter and I were so irritated with her. I did not think I could love her the way my husband did. However, as she matured, she became the best companion and watchdog ever. She was extremely smart and protective. When strangers would come, she would stand between me and the stranger. Grew to love her tremendously. It broke my heart when she died. I know you will have great joy with your dog. Be patient. Best wishes.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 26, 2010, 07:52 PM

One thing to add that may help with over night crating. Try putting a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel into his crate. He's used to warm puppy bodies around him, this may help him settle down a bit.

There are actually stuffed animals that you can buy for puppies that cry a lot in the crate.

There are a few toys on this site;

Puppy Dog Toys Recommended by Experts

Worth looking into, but a hot water bottle (warm water, not hot) wrapped in a towel works just as well. :)

Jul 29, 2010, 09:52 PM
    Past few nights have been glorious! Thank you all
    rosy.a Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2011, 06:01 PM
    Don't worry! My husky shepherd puppy had some accidents here and there, but has come a long way. He listens a lot more and has become very obedient. Just remember, when he reaches adolecences, you have to re-train him because that is the time when they are most rambunctious and become more independent. Best of luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

GROW hair DamN IT! Grow! [ 15 Answers ]

My hair length is about 1 inch long, I cut it about 2 years ago and continued to about every month, now I haven't cut or dyed my hair in about 2 months and it has not grown at all. I want it to grow!! What can I do, use, or whatever to get this growth process started!thanks

Does this get any easier? [ 21 Answers ]

2 1/2 years ago I love my wife. I know in this forum that's not an uncommon thing. I was mid 20's, had children and for a while felt completely lost. As if life had pulled the rug out from under me and I didn't see it coming. As a man one feels the need to hide emotion, I hate thinking someone...

Why is it easier to say... [ 6 Answers ]

Why is it easier to say ''Love you'' than "I love you''?

Any Easier Way [ 3 Answers ]

Hello and calling all frequent mathematics posters, is there any easier way to create math symbols than all that slashing and memorization:confused:

View more questions Search