Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Zoey3080 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2010, 10:07 AM
    Dog only pees at wife's house...
    About 4 months ago I got a Nefoundland mix female from the humane society. She was potty trained and we only had a couple of accidents until recently. Those accidents were usually when a neighbor dog would stop over and she would get really excited... She just turned 1 and when we go to my wife's house to see my kids, she has peed on the carpet 3 times in the last 2 weeks. Now, my wife has an 8 month old Bishon/Maltese that is not potty trained but normally goes on pads... Is it possible that she sees the other dog go on the pads and gets confused? We are not talking little piddles here... she leaves a flippin lake... HELP!!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2010, 11:02 AM

One of my dogs covers every other dog's urine with her own - so every time a dog has peed anyplace (or in the vicinity), there she is, ready to cover it with her pee.

If I tell her no she stops - but you have to be vigilant. As soon as I see her sniffing around I'm on guard.
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2010, 01:09 PM

Is she actually peeing all over the house or is it only when she gets excited or scared?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 6, 2010, 01:56 PM

Is she fixed?

Is your wife's dog fixed?

This could be a simple matter of marking her territory, or dominance issues.

Many times a rescue dog will forget potty training when being brought into a new home.

You may have to start from scratch, teach her all over again. Good news is, she knows what to do, she just needs to be reminded, so it's likely this won't take long.

Remember when training that positive reinforcement, praise, and repetition work best. Do not put pups nose in her pee, do not yell or hit.

If you want some tips on how to go about re-training, I'd love to help. :)

Also, we love pictures.
    Zoey3080 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2010, 07:21 AM
    My wife isn't fixed but her dog is... lol. It isn't when she's excited, just out of nowhere... I will try keeping an eye on her and just try to catch her and reinforce good behavior with going outside. Thanks
    mrshodges Posts: 208, Reputation: 34

Jul 7, 2010, 10:22 AM

I'm not sure if this is related but my 2yo male dachshund pees on my mom and only her. He gets really excited when he sees her. I have read that it is a dominant issue. He sees her as the dominant one so he "bows down" so to say.
    minda964 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2010, 09:54 PM
    If there is the scent of another dog it is a pretty typical thing.
    Try and interrupt her in the middle of her piddle and let her know you do not appreciate it and it upsets you with a big stern "NO"

Most dogs like to be pleasing, so after letting her know you don't approve put her outside and tell her to go potty, wait until she has finished to let her back in the house, and a good girl.

It might take a couple of times but she should get the idea that it isn't acceptable to potty in the house at ANY time. Best of luck
    maddy308 Posts: 56, Reputation: 0

Jul 22, 2010, 07:48 PM

Maybe your dog doesn't like your wife. Lol

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog pees on floor [ 3 Answers ]

I have a dog that was "saved" from the streets. I didn't save him. The person who did save him can't keep him for various reasons. He's a 3-5 year old Yorkie (larger sized), overweight, and he has been debarked. When I agreed to take him, they promised me he was housebroken and was just "marking"...

My dog pees and messes at both my back doors of my house, how can I stop this [ 2 Answers ]

My dog is 7 months old and she pees and messes at both my back doors to the house, it is like she is trying to get into the house to pees, she will move back and forth at the back door, finally when she sees I am not letting her in she will do her business right there, any suggestions to stop this.

Dog now pees in house [ 1 Answers ]

Over the winter holidays we left our 7 month old yellow lab at a kenneling facility in our area. We left her for two days one week and then 2 days again the next week. Upon bringing her home today, we immediately let her out in the yard to do her business as usual, whenever we come home from...

Dog out of nowhere pees in front of people in the house [ 3 Answers ]

I live with one of my friends who has a basset Hound. Not sure how old but he's full grown. We just moved in together a few months ago. The dog previously lived in a house with my friend in which he was restricted to one small bedroom in the house due to his family members having other dogs in the...

My dog pees in the house [ 3 Answers ]

Hi.. I have a 6 month old puppy that has been really good with hourse training. About two weeks ago he started peeing in the house right after we bring him inside. I discipline him and put him right outside again, then he's usually fine... until the next day. At first I was worried that he might...

View more questions Search