Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leif_erikson Posts: 36, Reputation: 2

Jul 15, 2010, 05:03 PM
    Logical discrepancies in Jesus' goals, demons and the last hour?
    In the first three chapters of Mark, a little more detail is given on exorcisms performed by Jesus. In all of them, he always tells the demons to not say his name so that it does not screw up his long-term goal. Why would a demon even help with that? If these demons were angels of Satan, then why didn't they just put up a large sign telling everyone that he was the Son of God so that they can ruin his plan? I am very sure that these demons were angels of Satan and not just independent antagonists. After all, when Jesus was accused of driving out demons with the power of demons, he explicitly stated that such a thing causes a division in oneself. (therefore implying that all demons that he drove out were Satanic minions)

Also in Matthew 9: 29, there's another contradiction. The demons inside of Legion asked, "Have you come to torment us before the appointed time?" How would they know that it wasn't the appointed time yet? As for signs, Jesus said that nobody but the Father knows the time or hour of judgement and he also derided Pharisees in chapter 13: 38 - 42 for asking for a sign. (also saying that they would receive no type of sign)

Can someone please clear this up? It will be appreciated.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 15, 2010, 05:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by leif_erikson View Post
    The demons inside of Legion
    Inside of Legion? Do you think Legion was a person?
    leif_erikson Posts: 36, Reputation: 2

Jul 15, 2010, 05:16 PM

OK, I made a mistake. It's matt 12: 38 - 42 with the whole Pharisees wanting a sign situation.

As for the Legion being a person, I should have chosen my words a little better.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 15, 2010, 05:22 PM
    As for the Legion being a person, I should have chosen my words a little better.
    How should you have written it?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 15, 2010, 05:27 PM
    Also in Matthew 9: 29, there's another contradiction. The demons inside of Legion asked, "Have you come to torment us before the appointed time?" How would they know that it wasn't the appointed time yet?
    There is no contradiction. They knew in the same way you and I know the appointed time hasn't come yet. Life is still going forward, and the appointed time hasn't happened yet. We all know there's an appointed time, but no one except the Father knows exactly when it will be.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2010, 08:08 PM
    In the first three chapters of Mark, a little more detail is given on exorcisms performed by Jesus. In all of them, he always tells the demons to not say his name so that it does not screw up his long-term goal. Why would a demon even help with that? If these demons were angels of Satan, then why didn't they just put up a large sign telling everyone that he was the Son of God so that they can ruin his plan?
    In a way, that's what they were trying to do. He hushed them because he didn't want testimony from evil spirits. Partly this is because they were, well, evil, and a testimony from them wouldn't exactly go over well with the locals. And partly it was because they were generally known to be liars, so evil spirits calling him the Son of God could easily be understood in the opposite sense. Basically, allowing them to speak and tell the people who he was would open some massive cans of worms. So he told them to shut up.
    JoeT777 Posts: 1,248, Reputation: 44
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2010, 09:17 PM
    OK, I made a mistake. It's matt 12: 38 - 42 with the whole Pharisees wanting a sign situation.

Luke 8:30 explains why the name of the demon(s) is called Legion, there were so many they couldn’t all be named.

JoeT
    HeadStrongBoy Posts: 351, Reputation: -4

Jan 15, 2011, 12:19 AM
    The first paragraph of your question has a possible explanation that I have learned. It seems to fit the pattern that Jesus often told the recipients of His healings NOT to tell anyone about it. The hypothesis is that Jesus needed to make absolutely certain that His execution would occur ONLY on a very specific date. Jesus knew that the Pharisees and their allies, who were headquartered in Jerusalem, wanted Him dead from the very first day of His ministry. And He also knew that they would stop at almost nothing to get their way with Him. One of the ploys Jesus used to delay His arrest was to continue His ministry several days journey from Jerusalem. That was one means of slowing down the murderous Pharisees. The other method involves your observation. Namely to minimize the publicity surrounding His miracles. Now it is true that demons are liars, just like their leader. But in the excitement and ruckus surrounding the exorcisms, news was bound to leak out. And the demons being enemies of Christ would want to thwart His plans by any means possible. Even if that meant telling the truth momentarily so that they could broadcast the news of what had happened to them (exorcism). The spies of the Pharisees always looking for or listening for any information about the upstart Jesus. That information was useful to Christ's enemies because they could use it to accuse Him of blasphemy or any other crimes they might think of.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Logical sex? [ 17 Answers ]

All right. I know there's a million posts about teen sex but I wasn't really sure which one this would fit under, so I just decided to ask. So the subject is of course, sex. Here's my thing. I know that I want to have sex at times. You know sometimes you want to other times you could give a...

Discrepancies in lease make it invalid [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1 year lease for student housing which I am trying to vacate. I have found a discrepancy on the lease: On the first page, there is an amortization column with a total at the bottom for the 12 month lease. On the second page, there is a blank for writing in the total amount for 12...

I want a logical and a benifital solution ? [ 48 Answers ]

I am in love with my best friends girl ever since they started dateing each other. Since four years I am waiteing for a miracle to happen, which is a distant dream . She is just so perfect... now I am 30 yrs and still single and the reason is I didn't wanted to loose myself in the matters of the...

View more questions Search