Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AJVANLAERE Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2010, 07:38 PM
    What can I clean my silver chain with
    What are some house hold products that I can use to clean my real silver chain with. I is looking kind of dullish/ dirty. I wear my chain 24/7 but it needs to be cleaned. I don't want to bring it in to get cleaned so don't metion that. Lol
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2010, 03:55 PM

Here's a couple recipes:

# 1
    1/2 teaspoon liquid dish soap
    4 tsps ammonia
    Rubbing alcohol
    Soft bristle brush

Mix the liquid dish soap and ammonia together. Place your piece of jewelry in the mixt and let it soak for approx. 5 minutes. Remove the piece of jewelry and take a soft bristle brush and scrub. Rinse with cool water. Dip the jewelry in the rubbing alcohol air dry and polish with a soft cloth.

---------------------------------------------------------

# 2
    2 cups water
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 piece aluminum foil, cut to fit pot

Bring water to a boil, add salt and baking powder. Place foil at the bottom of the pot. Place silver jewelry on the foil and leave for 15-30 seconds. Rinse silver jewelry under water then dry with paper towel.
    tumbleweeds Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2010, 05:57 AM
    Generally speaking, silver cleaning solutions, cleaners or creams should not be used to clean Native American silver jewelry. These types of solutions could damage the stones or inlay or cause the color of the stones to change. And some Native American silver jewelry is made with a technique where strategic areas of the jewelry are intentionally blackened to provide design definition. Therefore, we believe the best and simplest way to care for Native American sterling silver jewelry is to use silver polishing cloths that have been specially designed and treated for the purpose of cleaning sterling silver jewelry. These cloths are made of a felt-like material and are impregnated with special non-scratch micro-abrasives. You just rub the surface to be polished with medium pressure to remove tarnish and even light surface scratches. We recommend a cloth like the Sunshine Polishing Cloth, which we sell on our website www.tumbleweedsjewelry.com

Hopi Silver Overlay jewelry, in particular, should not be dipped in any type of liquid silver polishing cleaner, nor should you use any other type of chemical silver polishing cleaner or solution because the dark recessed oxidized areas will be ruined - the contrast of the design and hence the essence of Hopi jewelry will be lost. Use only silver polishing cloths like the ones we sell on our website www.tumbleweedsjewelry.com
    And avoid rubbing the dark recessed oxidized areas.

Keeping your sterling silver in the open air for extended periods without wearing it can cause it to tarnish. Believe it or not, wearing your silver jewelry is the best method for the prevention of tarnish! Infrequently worn silver jewelry should be kept in a sealed plastic bag. An important exception to this rule relates to the type of jewelry mentioned previously, that has been intentionally oxidized or antiqued, as part of the design. This type of jewelry should not be stored in airtight plastic bags, so simply punch a hole in the plastic bag.

Sunshine Polishing Cloth - Silver Jewelry cleaner - Safely Cleans N/A Jewelry

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dollar silver certificate, silver coins [ 9 Answers ]

Can any one tell me to possible value of the following $5 silver certificate 1953 A * 26405592 A $5 silver certificate 1953 A E 32214086 A $2 United States Note 1963 red seal $2 Federal Reserve Note 1976 green seal $1 silver certificate 1957 blue seal $1 silver certificate 1957 A blue seal...

Do Coins Made of Silver on the Outside Show More Wear More Than Those Without Silver? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, All! The title is my question. It would be for coins that had equal treatment that would be likely to put some wear on them. In my coin collection, I have a pretty good assortment of coins. A lot of them are silver on the outside or silver throughout them. Just to re-phrase the...

How Do You Clean a Toilet Bowl That Seems Impossible to Clean? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, All! Okay, I let my upstairs toilet get so bad that it now seems impossible to clean. I know, pretty revealing. But, I'm a guy with a really big home and I live by myself. We've tried the usual toilet bowl cleaners that people can find in grocery and home maintenance supply stores. Also,...

Clean stainless steel plated with silver metal [ 1 Answers ]

How to clean silver plated stainless steel jewelry? I have brought it a year back and found black marks has started appearing on the jewelry. On asking about this I got the answer that the jewelry is tarnished!

View more questions Search