Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BabiixG Posts: 105, Reputation: 7

May 16, 2010, 11:58 AM
    Too much of an age difference?
    What do you think about a 25 year old man dating a 20 year old woman? What about a 25 year old woman dating a 20 year old man? I know it depends on the situation and the personalities but do you think those ages are too different?
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2010, 12:40 PM

Hi BabiixG,

I don't think it makes a difference, it depends on the two people concerned.

At twenty you are an adult perfectly capable of making your own decision, if it feels right go with it.

In my opinion it makes no difference if the woman is the elder of the two, it's whether the minds come together, making you both compatible for one another.

I know many couples with quite vast age differences, one of which is my sister and her husband, the difference in age is 17 years and yet they have been married over 25 years.

I most certainly don't think these ages are too different.In the grand scheme of things 5 years is but a whisper.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 16, 2010, 12:45 PM
    Hi, BabiixG!

I don't see any problems with the age difference.

Is this a real case scenario that you're asking about here?

Thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 16, 2010, 12:46 PM

No problem at all with those ages. Those are actually fairly common and normal ages
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2010, 12:46 PM

I think it's fine for 20 yr. olds to date 25 year olds. That's hardly no age difference at all.

May 16, 2010, 01:18 PM

Yes hah I'm going to be 25 in June and my boyfriend is going to be 20 in August. He's really mature like works and takes care of his parents and he acts even older than me and he's really supportive of me and is really good with my 2 year old. But I'm the oldest girl he ever dated I guess I feel like I'm doing something wrong? Haha Even though I'm clearly not I've never went out with anyone younger than me
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 16, 2010, 01:35 PM

As long as both parties are adults, then it doesn't matter much. But if it doesn't feel right to you, and it obviously doesn't you may want to rethink things.

May 16, 2010, 02:31 PM

It doesn't bother me at all we get along great... but the only thing that bothers me is the age for some reason... maybe because he's 19.once he turns 20 in August I feel like I'll be able to handle it a lot better. Haha thank you for your advice
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 16, 2010, 09:32 PM
    The only way to find out how things will work is to give things a try!

It looks like there are already a number of positive factors for the relationship to be successful.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

May 16, 2010, 10:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BabiixG View Post
    it doesnt bother me at all we get along great...but the only thing that bothers me is the age for some reason...maybe because he's 19.once he turns 20 in august I feel like I'll be able to handle it alot better. haha thank you for your advice
    It's probably just the fact that he's still, technically, a teenager. When you hear the word 'teenager,' you think of a kid.

Even though there's not a big difference between the day before, and the day of, your 20th birthday, there's still something in your head that goes, 'hey, i'm no longer a teenager.' even though it's all psychological, it still makes a big difference. That extra day seems to convey a more responsible and mature persona.

I wouldn't worry about it. If that's the only thing that bothers you, then you're relationship is fine. Just don't let it consume you or bleed into other parts of the relationship.
    EddieW3 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2010, 12:15 PM

I don't see a problem with that age difference. From my experience, advice from friends, family, and even other peoples experiences, I have always followed the /2 +7 rule. I'm not sure if you have heard of it, or if anyone else has either. Going guy => girl or girl => guy. If the maturity is there then take the older persons age divide it by 2 then add 7, the number that is gotten from that is the youngest I would ever date, and also the oldest I would date is within that rule as well. So in your case 25/2 = 12.5 +7 = 19.5. This is just my rule that I follow, and maybe it will help you =)
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

May 19, 2010, 12:18 PM

20 and 25 sounds reasonsable. You're both adults.

It's only an issue if you make it an issue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Age Difference [ 35 Answers ]

I'm 20 years old and I have been speaking to this girl who I recently found out was 16. We like each other, do you think its wrong getting into a relationship with her? Is the age gap too big?

Age difference. [ 6 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have known each other since we were real little, and everyone say stuff because he is 4 years older than me and he is an adult and I am still a minor. He is 19 and I am almost 16. We have been dating since I was 11 ( yes I am very mature for my age was back then too) and people...

Age difference [ 3 Answers ]

First of all, Hi to all, my first post Let me see how to start... We are both from europe, different countries Me and girfriend meet 2 yr ago in club, I was back then 19 and she was 25, I was going with my brothers ID (him being 23 at that time and we look the same) We were dancing and then...

Age difference [ 15 Answers ]

I am a 17 year old girl and I will be a senior in High School. I am dating a 20 year old college student. Do you think that he is too old for me to date? I just need some opinions.

View more questions Search