Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    genogeno Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2010, 08:34 AM
    My forced air blower won't turn off
    I have a similar problem. I have an old Honeywell mercury thermostat that activates the forced air unit for both heat and AC. Last week the kids ran the heater and since then the blower won't turn off. The heater and A/C still work if I set the thermostat correctly, but even when the heat or A/C stops the blower still runs. I have unplugged the unit and plugged it back in and that didn't work. I have removed the front panels and banged lightly on a few of the switch boxes. That did not work. Any suggestions before I call the HVAC man?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 11, 2010, 10:45 AM

Check the bottom of the stat looking for a switch label ON/AUTO, make sure it is switched to AUTO and not ON. Kids do funny things sometimes

May 11, 2010, 12:26 PM

Hi b1, thanks for the quick response. On the stat, the switch is on Auto. We have the "H" all the way down to 50 degrees and the "C" all the way up to 90 degress. I can't decide if the problem is with the thermostat or with the forced air unit.

May 11, 2010, 12:30 PM

You could disconnect the wires to the back of the stat. Careful to make yourself a little "map" so they can all go back to where they were. If all wires are disconnected and the fan still runs you know it isn't the stat

May 11, 2010, 04:17 PM

B1, that's a very good suggestion. I'll try it and let you know.
    johnair77 Posts: 59, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2010, 08:50 AM

Fan control is stuck

May 12, 2010, 08:58 AM

B1,

I disconnected the stat and plugged the fan back in and the fan started up again. It's the fan. Time to call the man. Thank you for your assistance. Its appreciated.

May 12, 2010, 09:09 AM

"plugged the fan back in " can you tell me more about what you just said, a furnace fan does not have a plug.

May 13, 2010, 08:55 AM

B1,

My central air unit looks like a two-part unit. The top section is a gas-heater and the bottom section is a blower. The entire system is plugged into a wall outlet. Because the blower will not turn off, I have turned off the gas line and unplugged the unit from the wall plug.

May 13, 2010, 08:59 AM

I just have never seen a central ac that plugged into a wall out. This is 240 vac, right?

May 13, 2010, 10:12 AM

It looks like a normal 3-prong wall outlet. I couldn't tell you if its 240 or not. I just know that I can unplug it and it shuts off. I know that sounds illiterate but I am not mechanically inclined. I was hoping that it was something simple like a reset button, but it seems a little more complex and I am really not qualified to start tinkering with the system. And of course my wife is concerned that if I start messing with it I will blow the house up.
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2010, 04:57 PM

If the fan will not shut off, it is either a fan relay, or a t-sta problem. Post a pic of your unit

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas forced air heater won't turn heat on [ 6 Answers ]

My honeywell thermostat electric, shows "filter" change light blinking and won't turn on the heater when turned up. The thermostat will 'click' when temp turned up and I can manually turn on the fan but no fire in the heater. The thermostat is 1 year old, filter changed

Forced Air Gas Furnace Fan Won't turn off [ 1 Answers ]

We have a Forced air gas furnace with a programmable thermostat. What is happening is that the furnace will turn on when the temp drops, like it is supposed to, and the fan will come on to blow the hot air, but the fan doesn't turn off. It will continue to blow even when the air is cold coming out...

Payne forced air furnace blower will not turn on [ 3 Answers ]

When my heat would not come on, I thought it may be the pilot light. I followed the instructions and the furnace fired up. However, when the blower would normally start, the unit turns off the burner. The diagnostic light inside the unit indicates "blower circuit open". Is this something that I...

Letting blower on forced air heat run 24/7? [ 2 Answers ]

Is it better to let the blower on a forced air natural gas furnace run 24/7 even when the heat has reached the correct temp? I heard if you continue to circulate the air you use less fuel. Does the electrictity use cancell the fuel savings?

View more questions Search