Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zchornyak Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2008, 04:36 AM
    16 hp Briggs and Stratton No Spark
    I've disabeled all the safety switches, the engine turns over fine and I've isolated the ignition armateur (unplugged the ground wire from it.) the old one had spark on one lead but not the other so I figured it was bad. It ran sometimes but other times it would not start. Now that I bought a new ignition armateur I can't get any spark at all. What gives?

Thanks in advance for any advice..
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2008, 06:31 PM
    You could have possibly installed the armature upside down, look on the coil and it will say either: cyl side, or top, or something to that nature to let you know which way to install. This is a common mistake, and a costly one, seeings as how I do not know of anyone that will allow the return of electrical parts.
    zchornyak Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2008, 03:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MOWERMAN2468
    you could have possibly installed the armature upside down, look on the coil and it will say either: cyl side, or top, or something to that nature to let you know which way to install. This is a common mistake, and a costly one, seeings as how I do not know of anyone that will allow the return of electrical parts.

How would installing it upside down be a costly one. Not sure how that would bust a coil?
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2008, 06:35 PM
    Well, zchornyak, installing a coil upside down can ruin it immediately, therefore you would have to purchase another coil, which would be costly. You can improvise the gap between the coil and the MAGNETS of the flywheel using a standard business card as a gauge in a pinch.
    Thorb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2010, 09:19 PM

Hey... guys... I got the same engin on a Roper...
    It lost spark... then got it back then lost it again...
    Is there a reading [in ohms] on the magneto coil I should know... to test it?
    No spark on either wire.
    wildbill1947 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2011, 01:04 PM
    I have a 1995 B&S 'L' head, twin cylinder, 20 hp. I have a new Magnetron coil installed correctly, gap at .011", ground wire removed... and NO spark. The motor oil is cold and thick, so I am not getting a high rev while cranking. What are the correct ohm readings and where to take them to determine if B&S sent me a defective coil? Please reply to: [email protected] thanks
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2011, 03:11 PM
    Unhook the ground wire going to the coil then see if it starts
    wildbill1947 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2011, 09:12 AM
    Most of the later coils, like the B&S Magnetron, must have about 300 to 350 rpm before the unit will create a spark. I am currently working on a 1995, 20 hp, B&S. I just installed a new coil and neither plug wire would not spark due to the low cranking rpm with the old battery. I had to install a new battery and it had the power needed to spin the motor fast enough to make the coil work. Also, make sure the air gap between the coil 'legs' and the flywheel magnet is set .010" to .012". If you have removed the "kill" wire from the coil, and if the coil is good, and if the air gap is correct, and if you spin it at least 300 rpm, it has no choice but to create a spark.
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2011, 03:04 PM
    Are you answering your own?
    Don't know of any Ohms test , I always just check for spark ,
    Did you put the coil on with the right side up.This would cause no spark.
    Luck
    samuelg127 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2012, 08:45 AM
    Hope your still out there, I unhook the ground wire going to the coil and got good spark so what is wrong with it decause I get no spark when I plug it in any idals of what is causing this thanks sam
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2012, 07:00 AM
    Check the wire you unplugged and see if it has a bad place , also look for a inline diode .
    Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

12 hp Briggs & Stratton spark plug gap setting [ 2 Answers ]

What is the spark plug gap setting on a 12 hp B&S ? This is an OLD Montgomery Ward PowerKraft rider. Probably late 70's early 80's model.

Briggs and Stratton opposed twin NO SPARK [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old dresser lawn tractor. It was running when I parked it last fall. Now it cranks but won't start. I can't detect any spark. I removed the kill wire from the magneto & jumped the solenoid; spins, but still no spark. There are interlocks on the mower engage lever, but the clutch & seat...

Briggs and stratton 16 hp no spark [ 1 Answers ]

Crap that may be! How do I tell if the coil is good? I put an ohm meter across the spark leads. I think it said 4 ohms? I'm bidding on a manual for it on eBay. How do I do the gap. I pretty much just unbolted it and bolted the new one in it's place. I did put a connection on the otherwise bare...

Briggs and stratton 16 hp no spark [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a question about my tractor. The engine is a B&S 16 hp twin cylinder model 402707. It was running great when it began to loose power. I checked the plugs and checked for spark. Very week and intermitent. Also one side better than the other. I bought and installed a new coil and spark...

Briggs & Stratton Vanguard 16HP OHV No Spark? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi All, Seen several threads along this line but nothing that seems to help me. I have a Briggs & Stratton Model 303777 Vanguard (on a 1994 Snapper SR170 Rider). The engine turns over well, but will not start. I am not getting any "thump" when it turns. I am not hearing any clicking from the...

View more questions Search