Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    glilley Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2010, 05:04 AM
    Large Plaster Repair Project
    We are rehabbing a 120+ YO house and trying to stay within the restoration covenants of Preservation NC. Aside from the standard cracks, door/window gaps in the plaster (we know how to fix these) there are large, irregular shaped sections of plaster missing on many walls where the lath is still intact behind. Some of these are a foot or more across at the widest. Are there any products on the market that make repairing large sections of missing plaster easier than doing it the old-fashoned way with lath & key? Preservation NC is OK with a modern solution as long as it "looks" like plaster.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 18, 2010, 07:34 PM

You could try fast drying joint compound, setting compound. You can get it in 20minute or 45 minute bags but it isn't much easier than real plaster. Are you planning this as a DIY project?
    sabrewolfe Posts: 420, Reputation: 96

Apr 18, 2010, 09:10 PM
    You could try filling in these areas with dyrwall. Use a comparable thickness of drywall to what the thickness of the plaster is, use a piece slightly larger than the hole, trace the outer edge of the drywall onto the plaster, cut out that excess plaster, and fit in the drywall. It will be a perfect fit every time, which will save a lot of work. Then, all you'll need to do is to tape and finish any gaps and sligtly fill in any lower areas with joint compound. Sand and paint.

Apr 19, 2010, 04:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    You could try fast drying joint compound, setting compound. You can get it in 20minute or 45 minute bags but it isn't much easier than real plaster. Are you planning this as a DIY project??
    Thanks! Since I posted I have done some research and found that Sheetrock 20 or 90 do a good job and are a little easier to use than plaster. Are these the products you are referring to?

Apr 19, 2010, 05:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrewolfe View Post
    You could try filling in these areas with dyrwall. Use a comparable thickness of drywall to what the thickness of the plaster is, use a piece slightly larger than the hole, trace the outer edge of the drywall onto the plaster, cut out that excess plaster, and fit in the drywall. It will be a perfect fit everytime, which will save alot of work. Then, all you'll need to do is to tape and finish any gaps and sligtly fill in any lower areas with joint compound. Sand and paint.
    Thanks for replying! I have been thinking about using this process but was concerned about trying to nail the pieces to the lath in between studs - lath would tend to flex a lot and pull away from existing plaster. Would gluing these to the lath prior to taping and finishing do the trick?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 19, 2010, 08:03 AM

Yes, good idea to not use drywall since it will not attach to the lath strip as well as plaster of drywall compound in the key. Nail drywall to the lath will likely break off more keyes and make your job tougher. You found the right products but there are some between 20 and 90 if you want to consider them.
    sabrewolfe Posts: 420, Reputation: 96

Apr 19, 2010, 10:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by glilley View Post
    Thanks for replying! I have been thinking about using this process but was concerned about trying to nail the pieces to the lath in between studs - lath would tend to flex alot and pull away from existing plaster. Would gluing these to the lath prior to taping and finishing do the trick?
    You should always glue drywall to whatever you are attaching it to.
    You can screw the drywall fast to the lathe with no problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you repair flaking plaster in bathroom over tub area? [ 2 Answers ]

Repair of flaking plastic ceiling in bathroom over tub area.

How to repair large hole in tree trunck [ 2 Answers ]

How do I repair a large hole in an Oak tree trunk? Do I fill it with something or just leave nature to heal its self? I would hate to lose the tree. It appears to be have been done by a woodpecker. A very large, deep hole about 6 inches tall by 3 wide. About 8 foot off the ground. Thanks...

Plaster Ceiling Repair [ 8 Answers ]

While working in the attic I fell between the rafters and cracked the plaster ceiling in the room below. The ceiling now sags between the rafters and I want to lift it up level and repair the cracks. Does anyone have a suggestion for raising the ceiling? Thanks for any ideas.

Plaster wall repair [ 2 Answers ]

While on a second coat of fast setting Sheetrock *90*, I have several spots that end up drying with pin holes in quite a consistent pattern. There is probably 10 holes in the size of a dime. Would you have any suggestion to what is wrong? Thank You Very Much

View more questions Search