Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nanared Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2010, 11:40 AM
    How to install peg board over cinderblock wall
    I would like to put pegboard over a cinderblock wall. I was using an 18volt drill and used cement screws but the it would not go in. Do I have to use a different drill or use nails instead
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2010, 11:55 AM

If u are going to use the peg board to hang things on, u will have to mount 1 by 2 firring stripson block, so as to have a space to put hangers into.

Drill a pilot hole in 1 by in line with mortar line and mount with screws.

Mount peg board with 1" screws and washer.

The drill should be fine.

Good luck

Chuck
    nanared Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2010, 12:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by creahands View Post
    If u are going to use the peg board to hang things on, u will have to mount 1 by 2 firring stripson block, so as to have a space to put hangers into.

Drill a pilot hole in 1 by in line with mortar line and mount with screws.

Mount peg board with 1" screws and washer.

The drill should be fine.

Good luck

Chuck
    :):)
    squibnic Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2010, 12:56 PM

Another option would be to use liquid nail to attach the firring strips,
    Or with cinder block , you could drill through the block and use molly bolts, that's what I did
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 27, 2010, 01:07 PM

You can use Tapcon, cut nails, glue and many other options but the final surface of te pegboard must stand off the cement blocks so you can get you pegs to hook in the board. Most places that sell the pegs also sell the little black spacers
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 28, 2010, 04:00 PM

Cinder block is rather easy to drill as masonry products go. Are you using a masonry drill bit?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2010, 01:26 AM

When I was about 10 yrs old, I put up some pegboard. Used fuel hose for the spacers. 40+ yrs later, peg board is still up.

Tapcons seem like a good option with spacers. Remember that a typical cinderblock has chambers. I've used a studfinder to find where they are and avoid drilling on the internal wall or edge of the block. The wall I had to locate was stucco so I didn't have the benefit of seams.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Green board sheet rock VS cement board for show wall backing [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering if the green sheet rock will do just as well as cement board for installing in a show that I'm planning on tiling?

Moisture on dry wall with cinderblock walls in bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

I'm renting to own, my bathroom is cinderblock with a drywall interior. It always has a damp ceiling, which is tongue and groove board, and mold on the drywall. Is there anything I can do to fix this without gutting the walls?

Cinderblock wall repair [ 1 Answers ]

I would love some suggestions on how to fix an unsightly cinderblock wall in front of our property. Thanks, Bea Wilhelm

What's best way to sheetrock over cinderblock wall [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I have a basement wall that is 6' tall cinderblock I want to finish it is there any way to attach sheetrock to it or do I need to frame along side of it? It is kind of small already, so would like to keep as much area as possible. Thanks moe

Concrete cinderblock exterior wall leaking water [ 8 Answers ]

The drywall and baseboards in the inside exterior kitchen wall were rotting and wet. It is about 6-10 inches above ground level. We live in a concrtete cinderblock house in Florida. After removing the exterior stucco we found water oozing from what appears to be inside the conctrete. What could...

View more questions Search