Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blackie12 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2010, 01:41 PM
    Can I move out of the county with my son
    I'm wanting to end my relation with my boyfriend. We have a 4 year old son together and want to know if it's OK to move out of the county which is 5 hrs. away from where we live. He is a good dad but just treats me like crap and ignores me for days sometimes weeks. Do I have to set up the courts where I live now or can I do it where I'm going to move? Can he call the cops on me if I just left with my son?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 25, 2010, 02:12 PM

Are you in the U.S. now? Where would you move to?

Quote Originally Posted by blackie12 View Post
    ... Can he call the cops on me if I just left with my son?
    What could the cops do? Chase you into a foreign country?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2010, 05:48 PM

Are there any sort of custody orders in place regarding your son at the present time? Is he paying child support? Are you living with him (bf) at present?

If there are no custody orders in place he cannot stop you from moving elsewhere. Nor can he call the cops. The only time he could legally stop you would be if there is some sort of custody orders and visitation in place where it would impede him from visiting his son.

Once you are in the other county you can set up the child support and visitation orders there.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 25, 2010, 06:07 PM

What country are you currently in ?

Mar 25, 2010, 07:00 PM
    WA State

Mar 25, 2010, 07:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    Are there any sort of custody orders in place regarding your son at the present time? Is he paying child support? Are you living with him (bf) at present?

If there are no custody orders in place he cannot stop you from moving elsewhere. Nor can he call the cops. The only time he could legally stop you would be if there is some sort of custody orders and visitation in place where it would impede him from visiting his son.

Once you are in the other county you can set up the child support and visitation orders there.
    There is no custody order and we are both on my sons birth certificate.
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 26, 2010, 12:51 PM

To start with your going to need his permission to leave the country with the child. Another thing is that if you leave and don't return he could file in the courts and force the child to be returned at which point you either move back or surrender the child. If you disobey any of the court orders then your guilty of kidnapping. And yes you will be put in prison.

Mar 26, 2010, 02:23 PM

I don't want to leave the country. I just want to move to a different county in the same state.
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 26, 2010, 02:31 PM

If the move is far enough away that it would impede on his visitation rights the same applies. Its best to get everything settled with the courts before planning any kind of move. Even to another county.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 26, 2010, 03:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by blackie12 View Post
    I don't want to leave the country. I just want to move to a different county in the same state.
    Oh. Sorry. I misread it as country.

I disagree with those who say that you must get permission from the courts. As I understand it, there is no custody order now in place. But it in the interest of all three of you to negotiate a custody, visitation, and child support arrangement the parents can agree upon (if possible) and then get the court to order it.
    squibnic Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2010, 03:44 PM

It seems to me that if you only intend to move a few hours away, (in the same state), and if your BF has a car, you would not be impeding his visitation at all, I certainly think that you would be in the clear, I'd check with a family law attorney to be sure, but my divorce papers only mention leaving the state. If there are no custody orders in place, I think you can move anywhere you like. If you BF has a problem with that , then the courts may become involved and then whatever they rule is how it has to be.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my 2 yr. Old son, her brother,& I or anyone asked to move ,in be forced to move [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriends sister asked myself,my 2 yr. old and her brother to move in with her because she was divorcing her husband & was afraid to stay there alone. Her husband broke in the house by smashing the glass on the inside kitchen door, the police were called and she went to court for an order of...

Want to move out of state with son [ 5 Answers ]

I left my ex almost a year ago after 12 yrs/marriage 14 together. Good guy but more into financial support of marriage than emotional/spiritual side and going nowhere. We were married in his church and I thought I had a spiritual partner but it became evident after the marriage tha this was not...

Move son out [ 2 Answers ]

I have a son who is 23 years old and moved in with us, due to loss of his apartment. He has no written agreement with us and has not paid rent, food or utilites. He is being verbaly abusive with his mother and both of us want him out. He will not leave. The only thing we have done is put him on our...

Son wants to move out of town for a new HS [ 6 Answers ]

:confused: Hello, My 16 yr old son moved in with family out of town and transferred to new high school which has made him much happier. He wants to live with us again, but still attend his new school. We are both torn of how to handle this. He does not want to ask us to move, and we don't want to...

Can I move to another county? [ 3 Answers ]

I am in a relationship with someone in another county 3 hours away. I am in California. I have primary custody of my children with some visitation for father. Can I move without the father's permisssion? Or do I have to do it through the court. I am currently in the process of asking for full legal...

View more questions Search