Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ravana2 Posts: 146, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2010, 04:18 AM
    Mormon connection
    Does mormons protect his members ? My brother will go to study in Utah and I am interested what will happen with him ?

Does byu students ( mormon university ) have any privilege if they decide to stay in Utah ? I do not know how much connected they are but I hope that they can provide some help for him .
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 12, 2010, 07:17 AM

Ravana2:

This question has been sitting here for several days so I will attempt an answer. I've been hesitating because I answered several of your questions about BYU over on the Universties & Colleges page. But since no one else has stepped up, here goes:

I assume form your prevous posts, and the fact that you are from Zagreb, that your brother is not a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS or Mormon Church). And so you are wondering how he would be treated by the other students if he were to attend BYU. I think you are aware that BYU is owned by the LDS church, and that about 98% of the students are Mormon. So your brother would be among a very small minority. All students are required to adhere to an honor code that is modeled on Mormon teachings, and mandates that its students be religiously active. I don't believe he would experience any outright hostility or "shunning" on campus, but he may feel a bit disconnected in that he would not share as fully in the feeeling of community as his classmates do. On the other hand, he may well find a niche amont the other 2% who are not Mormon. I would strongly advise that he either visit the campus or spend some time talking to alumni or students before making a decision whether to attend.

As to whether BYU grads have certain "priviledges" in Utah - not officially. However, given the size of the school an the influence of the Mormon church in UT it wouldn't hurt.
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2010, 10:35 PM

ebaines,
    That is a very good answer IF he is not a member of the LDS.
    However if he is one then the answer from what I know about it is the Mormons do a good job of protecting one another.
    Except for the fall away factions they are a very tight group as most of the factions are to themselves.
    Note how they have stuck up for each other and even fought in court about the various scandals lately.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 15, 2010, 04:33 AM

They do help one another, and their church is very family directed. If he is not a member, and 99 out of every 100 kids are going to church a couple times a week, and all talk aobut this prophet ( ones he never heard of) and that, he can feel a little lost at times.

They are a wonderful people, but again, he will have to hear about their religion a lot,
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2010, 03:01 PM

Fr_Chuck,
    From what I know that's very true.
    Fred

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is mormon? [ 11 Answers ]

OK I need to know the quick easy version. Everything you can tell me about the mormon religion. Beliefs, traditions, whatever, I need to know ASP!!

Mormon Beliefs? [ 2 Answers ]

I have heard many things about the mormon religion some things I don't understand something's I was not explained clearly to. Is there anyone who could explain to me what is it that Mormons believe exactly and what makes them different from other christians?

How to get rid of annoying Mormon missionaries [ 38 Answers ]

Hello you guys: Really, I have nothing, NOTHING against the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. BUT... A few days ago these two elders, Smith and Mittanck came to my door and I invited them in. I was curious about what they had to say. They talked about their religion and The Book...

View more questions Search