Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Serenity2009 Posts: 57, Reputation: 0

Feb 20, 2010, 04:13 PM
    Wedding ideas for a budget of 1000 or less
    Looking for some budget ideas for a wedding of 20-50 people and a budget of 1,000 I am spending the most of it on my dress and the location so for food and decorations I have like 400-600 left. His parents are donating the location for the rehearsal and some of the alcohol for his drinking family members.

So what can I do to save some money on items?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 20, 2010, 04:18 PM

A lot of decisions to be made. The next big expense will be feeding all those people. Also you need to decide where the wedding will be. Whoever performs the ceremony you will be expected to pay also. Sounds like trimming the amount of people invited to it is your first plan and then go from there. Also where do you plan the reception ? You don't have to answer just food for thought.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2010, 06:42 PM

I have pretty much the same budget and people attending as you :)

I am seriously considering buying my dress from a second hand or charity store and then altering it. As long as the dress has the right basic lines then I can alter it however I want (adding a sheer layer, straps/no straps, sequins, embroidery etc etc) it wouldn't really be a second hand dress by the time I finished with it!

For catering there are some cheap but nice places out there, you just have to shop around.
    Or instead of actual catering you can ask the guests to pay for their meal instead of bringing a gift.
    A friend of mine just did this, they had their reception at a really nice restaurant and guests paid $40 each (You can go a LOT cheaper than that if you want!)

Decorations can be very cheap.
    Charity stores are another place to find decorations. Sometimes they get donated bags of balloons or vases that you can spay a different color.
    The same friend I mentioned before bulk ordered some nice looking pink vases and then had a single pink Gerbera in each one. They were in the center of the table, then there were some pink heart shaped sequins scattered around them. It sounds simple, but it looked very nice.

Have you thought about a photographer? They can be very expensive but if you can get a few family members to take photos it would be a lot cheaper. I'm lucky in that my partners Grandfather is a photographer for National Geographic so he has donated his services, but I also plan on having other camera savvy family taking snaps as well.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 20, 2010, 07:31 PM

And lets not forget the preacher, most get 200 to 300 for the service, I am about the cheapest in Atlanta and I get about 100 for a simple wedding ( no rehearsal)

On photos, many people for low cost, give out a dozen of so disposable camera and have people take all sorts of phots,

You can go to many online photo sites and they do a wedding book from photos you download to their side very cheaply. And they are lovely. I did my own wedding that way and it was fun , great and cheap

Feb 20, 2010, 10:10 PM

I have been through it all. I have the ceremony and reception hall, and I have the preacher, a friend of mine. I am doing dollar store and thrift shops for décor, catering is on food stamps for the food and soda.

I have my dress it was a prom ress I bought for 30 bucks and its so cute
    dynocompe Posts: 331, Reputation: 56

Feb 25, 2010, 01:52 AM

Out door BBQ with some hot dogs at uncle petes

Feb 25, 2010, 08:19 AM

Ha ha , na
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2010, 09:07 AM

Can you just have cake? Do you have to have a huge meal?

Most of the time, people come for the wedding, not the food :)

Friends of mine simply had cake and punch. It was very relaxing.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2010, 10:57 AM
    Hi, Serenity2009!

What are you planning to do for music for your wedding, that is, if you're planning on having any music?

Thanks!

Feb 25, 2010, 11:05 AM

Music is iPod and speakers and food is on food stamps lol some stuff is a gift
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2010, 11:18 AM
    So, all the music will be recorded music. Correct?

Feb 25, 2010, 11:29 AM

Yes
    padmapatak Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2010, 10:52 PM
    There is always a good deal if you research online for wedding planners.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wedding budget is 1000 or less poss less. [ 4 Answers ]

Like 500 need a few suggestions and some help finding venues in Pottstown pa that are cheap and or free. My question is... How do I make it work with a thousand or less? I have my dress and some items giving to me. What is the beat place to purchase things on my budget? Thanks in advance!

My Friend Is Having A Wedding On A Tight Budget [ 25 Answers ]

She wants me to help plan her wedding for the spring 2010 and said that she only wants to spend $1,000 for the wedding and reception. They already have the rings, wedding cake is being done for free, location of the ceremony is free too. But, can you give me any ideas about how to plan a wedding on...

Co. Mtg Lunch-catered-40+ppl - budget slashed-ideas? [ 4 Answers ]

We are a small company in Niles, Illinois. Each month we host a company meeting in our lunch room and serve our 40+ employees a buffet lunch. It's nothing fancy - sandwiches, salad, sometimes vegetables and/or dessert. But it's getting more difficult to find good food at prices that we can...

Elegant low budget wedding décor ideas? [ 7 Answers ]

Does anyone have any low budget, yet elegant decorating ideas for a church wedding? I have a friend who has to say the least been through tremendous hardships this past year. She will be getting married in a month, and her budget is low. I want to help her to make her day as memorable and elegant...

Wedding on a budget [ 8 Answers ]

My fiancé and I have been engaged for 2 years have yet to set a date. We wanted to wait until after I finished school and that ended up being pushed back a year. We want to start planning for Sept. '08. Is this cutting it too close and we are on a very tight budget. I don't want to put it off...

View more questions Search