Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tiprj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2010, 04:20 PM
    Air ventilation pipe leaking water
    The round duct work in my attic space has these little twist adjustable registers mounted to my ceiling. The ventilation pipe or round duct work leads to the outside of my home via wall mounted vent and screen. Water started to come out of the register located in the master bedroom. I looked at the outside vent and it was frozen over. I'm not very knowlagable in this field, what could have caused this problem. Also do the vents add fresh air from outside or are they susposed to take air out. I was told by the previous owner to run my bathroom fan periodically to keep the humidity to an acceptable level. Any thoughts or ideas?
    mtconc Posts: 119, Reputation: 9

Feb 18, 2010, 05:00 PM

I don't know.. maybe a heating question?
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Feb 18, 2010, 07:04 PM

Is this is a vent for a bathroom or a regular room? Regardless, it is done incorrectly. The problem is that your house air is warm and moist. When it flows into the duct in the attic, it gets colder and the moisture condenses. This water flows back into the ceiling register, and obviously also to the outside too.

You have two choices:
    1) block it off
    2) install a fan with a damper on it to prevent airflow when the fan is off. Putting the fan in a vapour proof cover would also be a good idea too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Overflow pipe is leaking water [ 3 Answers ]

My overflow pipe which is the white pipe coming out of the house is leaking and the downstairs toilet is making a loud high pitched noise I have been told that this is due to the ballcock is this correct and how would I change that if I needed to? If anyone could help that would be much...

Water leaking out of over flow pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I have hot water baseboard heating. My power was off for 6 hours. When the power returned and the furnace turned back on, water started leaking from over flow pipe onto the floor coming out of middle of the furnace. Is this normal or do I need to call for repair?

Leaking pipe that goes into water heater [ 5 Answers ]

The pipe the goes into my hot water heater is leaking a little bit, how to fix it? Thank you for any help

Water leaking from the pvc pipe on Air Handler [ 1 Answers ]

I think the air handler pipe that goes to the outside is clogged, can I use liquid draino in it to clean out the line?

View more questions Search