Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2010, 04:18 AM
    Customs & Tradition of name change
    I know that it is customary in many cultures to use the husbands surname once a woman is married (I also know there are exceptions who continue use their own names).

I am just curious to know what this change of name means, in the sense that;

Do you have to make changes on previous legal documents, like bank accounts,memberships at different associations etc

What about signatures? Some use their full names as signs and does this also have to be changed?

On a more personal level, does this change of name bring about an emotional change in any way?

Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2010, 09:24 AM

Also wanted to add:

Are there certain cultural groups/religions that observe this as a requirement after marriage?

Thanks in advance.

Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 13, 2010, 09:42 AM

From the legal side, if and when the women does change her name, in the US, they use the copy of the marriage license to change their ID ( drivers license or passport) once that is done, they would have a problem cashing checks or writing checks or getting money from bank accounts since their ID would not match their ID, so they also use the marriage license to change the name on them also.

To some women from my understanding it brings about a emotional closeness, they are truly part of their husband and family.

To others it seems they feel they are giving up their Identity. And feel they lose part of thierself.
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2010, 10:54 AM

Thanks Fr,

I am interested because we don't practice this tradition of name changing and it sounds like a lot of changes considering changing passports,ID's etc.

Recently while looking for some old classmates, I realized how difficult it is to find the girls since many of them are married and I had no idea what their names were since they practice the same tradition of changing names once they marry.

I understood why adopted kids find it so difficult too, especially when looking for female relatives, it must be so hard.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Scripture & Tradition [ 382 Answers ]

Early Christians regarded Tradition as coming from God no less than did Scripture itself. And yet, in the long march of time from those early centuries, many have come to regard Tradition as a foe, as something opposed to Scripture. There is a reasoned case to be made for both views. My question...

Change 100 amp to 200 amp panel [ 2 Answers ]

I have an older cottage with a 100 amp fuse panel.I would like to change over to a 200 amp breaker panel.Can I install the 200 amp panel along side the old one , change over my wiring to it then run the main incoming power to the main breaker of the 200 panel ?I also want to run power to a new...

View more questions Search