Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Mar 29, 2008, 04:32 PM
    Precordial Catch syndrome?
    Just wondering some things about it because my teacher assigned me a project about precordial catch syndrome in my health class (why I couldn't get something nice like Herpes zoster, or the common cold I don't know).
    I get what the symptoms are and everything but the fact that there's no cause kind of bothers me. I was wondering if anyone has found any studies linking it to things like asthma? Or stuff like that? Because it's not caused by the heart I've read stuff about nerves and that being the cause, but because asthma is so common these days (which stinks) maybe this is becoming more common too?
    I'd also like to know if there is a difference in heart rate during a PCS "attack"?

The net has really dissapointed me with this one usually there are actual answers instead of more questions.
    Got to love school.
    dreams4life Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Apr 23, 2009, 11:12 AM
    I am 16 years old, and I have PCS. The first thing I can tell you about it is... it HURTS. I cripple over in the middle of class because I can't breathe, I'm forced to put myself in MORE pain to try and stop it, and then when that doesn't work I sit there like an idiot while everyone stares at me. It is sooooo much fun. There are actually a couple of suspected causes. Pre-cordial means "in front of the heart". Muscle spasms in front of the hearts, either that or nerve pinchings are the two main suspected culprits. There is no known cure, and PCS is benign (not terminal/dangerous). Doctors tell you to breathe in when having an episode, so that your heart pops. Yes, because that sounds like the most pleasant experience in the world, doesn't it? That is actually excrutiatingly painful. And I must tell you, that although you are simply doing a project, put yourself in my shoes. Be a 16-year-old who just wants to enjoy life, but spends every day just wondering when her stupid heart will betray her next. (And I don't mean emotionally.) Go down town with your friends, and have them leave you on the sidewalk while you collapse and gasp for air. It really makes things interesting.
    Pilotghost Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Dec 24, 2009, 02:19 PM

Few things that I wanted to clear up, and I made an account on here just to post this because the previous poster seems to be providing information that might be a little deceptive (but not on purpose). I am 14, and have PCS, and noticed it about 6 months ago. I wasn't worried about it, but curious, I googled it and was also mad that there is no known cause. The feeling of "popping" when you breathe in hard enough always makes me wonder what's going on. Anyway, in talking with my friends and doing some quick research online, I found that many people have PCS, and most adolescents are actively experiencing it. Although the pain is said to vary slightly from person to person, nearly everyone thinks it is strong enough that you are scared to breathe in or out too much. I usually let is pass for the first three months, but now, when it happens, I breathe shallow for a few seconds, then take a fast, big, hard breath in, and go on about my day, with no signs of there having been any pain. Unless dreams truly is experiencing excruciating pain from this, I think that (s)he is really exaggerating and, simply put, afraid to take the small plunge of going a little deeper into the pain so that it stops. The 'pop your heart' is just what some people call it when you inhale, and really isn't what's going on. It hurts, but it's benevolent to the point that I feel OK criticizing anybody who complains about it truly affecting their lives. Most people have experienced this! So, um, yeah. Sorry, I don't know the causes either, but it's annoying that somebody is actually treating this as something serious. I have a teacher with MS, and a friend with cancer. PCS is as common, as serious, and as noteworthy as sneezing. And people don't go around saying 'I just want to enjoy life, bu I don't know when my stupid lungs will make me SNEEZE next.' Please, take it like a man (or woman, sorry).
    margera7117 Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Dec 26, 2009, 07:49 PM
    I also suffer from this I'm 24 and had done so much stupid things in my past that I thought I was always having a heart attack until I read about pcs. I was walking one day and sure enough I went down to one knee and thought this is it. I have phoned an ambulance about 13 times since then but always the same thing my ecg was normal and my heart looked fine and my blood pressure was 121/83 this is very good but when you get it my hands sweat I feel sick and feel scared that I am going to die just know that its going to be okay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How can I catch him [ 15 Answers ]

OK guys I'm pretty sure my boyfriend is cheatin on me but I don't no how 2 catch him out any ideas I need 2 do it sneaky though because he nos I'm suspicious ideas will be a great help thanksxxxxxxx

Can't catch up! [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I make approximately $75,000/year. I didn't think that we managed our money poorly but we obvisouly do. We have a total of $5000 in total debt. Some of these are credit cards that are in collection status from years ago that accumulated due to a major health issue with my husband. I...

Catch Him [ 3 Answers ]

How can I attract a guy and get him to be interested in me

View more questions Search