Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suddenImpact Posts: 175, Reputation: 23

Dec 9, 2009, 05:33 AM
    Starting a Small Business
    I do computer repair / Network administration on the side right now for a lot of individuals, and a couple local small businesses. I'd like to see if I can get this to take off a bit more. I'm going next week to apply for a DBA, and I've already gotten ahold of my insurance company for quotes.

What I'm mostly curious about, is once I have my DBA, what am I required to do for filing taxes? Everyone keeps telling me how great it is because I can write so much stuff off as a business expense, but I don't think it'd really be right to write of thousands in car repairs, clothes, computer equipment etc. if I'm only going to be bringing in maybe 5-10,000 a year to start.

When I do start it, I will have my taxes done professionally, I'm just curious what all information I will NEED to have, and maybe what all is really allowed to be written off.

Thanks
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2009, 12:38 AM
    Hi, suddenImpact!

Since your question has so much to do with taxes, I've moved it out of Business Plans to this forum topic are where it will be much more likely to be noticed and addressed by our Tax Experts.

I wish you well in your business efforts! If you ever want some help with getting the maximum exposure that you can on the Internet when people do searches for what you do, please let me know. Most of my new business for my small businesses comes from the free ads that I've posted on the Internet.

Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 11, 2009, 08:45 AM
    Whenever you buy ANYTHING even remotely associated with the business, keep the receipt. In fact, try getting a credit card that you will use exclusively for the business, then purchase everything for the business on that credit card.

Maintain a driving log for when you drive your car for business. Note the total mileage on your car on 1 January and 31 December, so the costs of maintaining the vehicle can be porperly pro-rated.

Finally, keep good track of your income stream.

All this can be done using a simple spreadsheet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Starting a Small Business [ 2 Answers ]

Is there small business grants for felons and if so how do you apply\? What are the top 5 small businesses IN DEMAND that are most likely to succeed?

Starting a small business [ 1 Answers ]

Me and my sons have been doing landscaping on the side. I would like get a grant to buy better equipment and another truck and trailer. Dose anyone know how to get a grant with out spending money? Everyone is scamming everyone any more how do you find a good one. Thanks

Starting a small business [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I live in a small town, about 250 people and a small gift shop with lease of $130 pw is for sale I'm not experienced in business but would love to give it a go does this sound like it could be worth while or a waste of time and money!

Starting a small business [ 4 Answers ]

HI Q: I wanted to start an ice-cream parlour I really don't have any idea, we are three partners we don't know what would be the investment and how do we go for it?

Starting a small business [ 3 Answers ]

Where would I find help with writing and presenting a business plan to start a small trucking company?

View more questions Search