Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    citylover Posts: 79, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2009, 11:51 PM
    McAfee message I need guidance with what to do
    I got this pop up message from McAfee on my computer and I do not know if I should click "allow" or "block". Can someone tell me what this is and what I should do. It is a new computer and I am not a computer teckie.
    Thanks

McAfee has detected a potentially unauthorized file change to your computer.

About this File Change
    SystemGuards: Windows Win.ini File
    Program: Host Process for Windows Services

Spyware, adware, and other potentially unwanted programs can make changes to the Win.ini file, allowing suspect programs to run when you start your computer.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Nov 26, 2009, 03:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by citylover View Post
    Can someone tell me what this is and what i should do.
    The svchost.exe process is a part of Windows and the one located in that particular folder is the 32 bit version used on versions of Windows that are 64 bit. The 64 bit version is in the... \Windows\System32 folder. Backwards yes, but done for compatibility. Not knowing more about why McAfee is complaining about this since this process should have already been vetted, suggest you do this:
    1. Make a copy of the Win.ini file.
    2. Allow the action.
    3. Compare the contents of the current Win.ini file to those of the copy made and note the differences and decide if they are reasonable or facilitate malware.
    4. Undo or remove the changes if they facilitate malware and then do a full system scan with McAfee.

If the above seems too technical, choose block. Better safe than sorry.

Additional info:
    What is svchost.exe And Why Is It Running?
    A description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP Professional Edition

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Uninstalling McaFee [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My PC has windows 2000 Professional... McaFee 1995 is on it but I want to remove it and install a more current anti virus. When I try to remove it (Add/Remove Program in Control Panel) it says I cant's because there is no blah blah log blah blah (missing part). How can I get this thing...

Uninstall mcafee for free [ 1 Answers ]

I've tried calling them, they charge $1.95 a minute and I also got the run around. Tried add/remove programs and it said you had to remove all the components 1st. How am I supposed to know what the friggin components are? How can I remove this computer boggin, pop up every 5 second, always...

McAfee Items detected? [ 1 Answers ]

What are "items detected" in McAfee's security center

View more questions Search