Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ebbclean Posts: 61, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2009, 09:45 PM

I only own 1 company right now which is my cleaning company,
    But I been thinking to own a shop for automotive repair shop because right now I am a 1st mechanic and would like to get my journeyman ticket.

But as of right now I make more money on my cleaning business and been thinking if I should continue this career or focus on my cleaning company and make more money. What do you suggest?
    phlanx Posts: 213, Reputation: 13

Nov 18, 2009, 01:01 AM

Morning Ebbclean

Sounds like you have the same problem as I do, can't decide on one thing specifically so decide to go for all

All I can suggest is, get one company up and running and working well

This will pay the bills, look after the family etc

Anything else then you can do but at very low risk to your main income

While you are trying to get one company going - concentrate on that

Phlanx
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Nov 18, 2009, 11:18 AM

I agree with Phlanx Ebb.

Seventeen years ago we started our cleaning company and found a 'niche' that overall has been good to us. This required a lot of extensive knowledge that kept us ahead of the curve in our industry at least locally. Although in the beginning we took whatever business that we could, eventually we were large enough to make decisions that benefited the company and made us much more profitable... that was the 'niche' that I was referring to.

Once the company was up and running, profitable and stable we brainstormed to find other things that we could do based upon our knowledge of the industry. That is when we started the other two companies.

One is a type of 'Temp Service'; when a company is using their own people and they are on their payroll we provide trained personnel to replace those that are off due to sickness, pregnancy, vacations, etc. All we provide is the trained person/s, they provide all the equipment, supplies, and supervision. So we charge a flat rate by the hour or the month.

The other company is a company that provides sub contractor work relative to our business and is still quite young although we did over $190,000.00 last year.

I agree, find what you want to do and devote everything you have to making it a success, then consider branching out.

Stringer
    Business Expert

Nov 18, 2009, 11:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebbclean View Post
    see the problem with me is i dont know how to ask them in a quizzical way, would you mind giving me a good sentence/ letter that i can use to reply to that email they sent me? really appreciate it.

Also id like to know if all the paper stuff i have that i gave it to them is good. i want it to show you but i am not sure if i should post it all here.
    By 'quizzical' Ebb I meant simply ask in a way that will get you results;

Suggestion: (Although you need to do this in your own way with your own words and personality); "May I take a moment of your time? I seriously want to get better and improve in all facets of my business. Could I ask you just a few quick questions? I am sure that your answers and advice will help me archive this...."

(Pick your own questions here, however:) )

What were the main reason/s that I was not chosen?

Was there something in particular that I could have done better?

Do you feel that I related to your problem/s and I could have possibly provided a solution/s?

What exactly was the reason that you chose the other company; Price? Professionalism (explain, please)? Something that I have not considered?, etc.

And, something that I always close with... "Is there something that I did not ask you or something that you would like to add?"

Ebb, do you get the flow here in asking these questions? You have to be sincere and not use this information in any way that will offend the person. Also tell them in the beginning
    That everything they say WILL be held in confidence... and keep it there.

This is a close knit industry and your reputation is vital... always protect it, act and make decisions that are very professional.

I hope this helped Ebb,

Stringer

Nov 18, 2009, 09:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    I agree with Phlanx Ebb.

Seventeen years ago we started our cleaning company and found a 'niche' that overall has been good to us. This required a lot of extensive knowledge that kept us ahead of the curve in our industry at least locally. Although in the beginning we took whatever business that we could, eventually we were large enough to make decisions that benefited the company and made us much more profitable...that was the 'niche' that I was referring to.

Once the company was up and running, profitable and stable we brainstormed to find other things that we could do based upon our knowledge of the industry. That is when we started the other two companies.

One is a type of 'Temp Service'; when a company is using their own people and they are on their payroll we provide trained personnel to replace those that are off due to sickness, pregnancy, vacations, etc. All we provide is the trained person/s, they provide all the equipment, supplies, and supervision. So we charge a flat rate by the hour or the month.

The other company is a company that provides sub contractor work relative to our business and is still quite young although we did over $190,000.00 last year.

I agree, find what you want to do and devote everything you have to making it a success, then consider branching out.

Stringer
    Its really a tough decision. Right now I am still thinking and still can't decide which one.

My cleaning company that makes more money than my full time mechanic job or
    My full time mechanic job that I really want to do for the rest of my life but not paying as big as my cleaning company.

And also I am running a Car forum community as well where people can advertise on my site and pays me then also Google pays. http://www.forums.tunedtech.ca

If you guys were in my position what you would do?
    Business Expert

Nov 18, 2009, 09:34 PM

When my partner and I started this business we sat down with our friend and attorney. We eventually started talking about all the things that we wanted to do. He said that we had some very good ideas (some of which we have not implemented as yet) "but it takes money." "When you have the resources, there is a freedom that you don't enjoy presently."

That was seventeen years ago Ebb, we started these two other companies about six years after that. We then had the money to do what we wanted and also made investments (now that some of those investments have been obliviated :( ).

Go with what got you there... find success (whatever that is to you) and be happy. All I am saying is that you can do a lot of things IF you have the money. (And by the way, that means that you can help others also.)

Always... ALWAYS deal from a position of strength, never forget that my friend.

Stringer

Nov 18, 2009, 09:43 PM
    By 'quizzical' Ebb I meant simply ask in a way that will get you results;

Suggestion: (Although you need to do this in your own way with your own words and personality); "May I take a moment of your time? I seriously want to get better and improve in all facets of my business. Could I ask you just a few quick questions? I am sure that your answers and advice will help me archive this...."

(Pick your own questions here, however:) )

What were the main reason/s that I was not chosen?

Was there something in particular that I could have done better?

Do you feel that I related to your problem/s and I could have possibly provided a solution/s?

What exactly was the reason that you chose the other company; Price? Professionalism (explain, please)? Something that I have not considered?, etc.

And, something that I always close with... "Is there something that I did not ask you or something that you would like to add?"

Ebb, do you get the flow here in asking these questions? You have to be sincere and not use this information in any way that will offend the person. Also tell them in the beginning
    That everything they say WILL be held in confidence... and keep it there.

This is a close knit industry and your reputation is vital... always protect it, act and make decisions that are very professional.

I hope this helped Ebb,

Stringer

Yes it really helps me a lot. But I am not sure if I did it write. Here is the message I sent her lol

Hi Chrissy,

May I take a moment of your time? I seriously want to get better and improve in all facets of our business. Could I ask you just a few quick questions? I am sure that your answers and advice will help me archive this...

What exactly was the reason that you chose the other company; Price? Professionalism (explain, please)? Something that I have not considered? etc.

Everything you say will be held in confidence and keep it between you and me. I really appreciate your time and hospitality that you given to me and answering all my question.

Thank you
    Bryan Bene

I just kind of add it and edit it :(

anyways can i have advice how to get more cleaning contract?

And also how do I get those contract for the building that they just making it and its almost done? Who do I contact for that etc?
    Business Expert

Nov 19, 2009, 06:01 AM
    Yes it really helps me alot. but i am not sure if i did it write. here is the message i sent her lol

i jsut kinda add it and edit it :(

anyways can i have advice how to get more cleaning contract?

and also how do i get those contract for the building that they just making it and its almost done? who do i contact for that etc?
    I hope that you called them on the phone with the questions Ebb, that will get you more results. Usually they won't take or have the time to respond... sometimes, but better to call.

Stringer
    Business Expert

Nov 19, 2009, 06:17 AM

I would suggest that you do everything that has been mentioned so far Ebb in your thread. But to me the most important is to get out daily and make as many cold calls as possible. By sheer numbers you will/should be able to get the name of a lot of the 'decision makers', make appointments, and have opportunities to bid. Go see them personally. If you can't make an appointment then talk to the proper people on the phone. Don't get discouraged by voice mail/

On voice mail, be polite, be brief, tell them who you are, what you do, and what you would like. Leave your phone number and your name at least twice during the message. Normally I do not leave more than two messages per week. I may call more times but if I do not get them on the line, I just hang up. Too many messages left on their voice mail can irritate them.

Stringer

Nov 19, 2009, 06:40 PM
    I hope that you called them on the phone with the questions Ebb, that will get you more results. Usually they won't take or have the time to respond... sometimes, but better to call.

Stringer
    Hey Stringer,

I got email from them

Good Morning Bryan,

I appreciated the time you took out to visit our facility. Your professionalism and
    Mannerism was perfect, unfortunately we have a budget and the pricing that you
    Provided did not meet that budget. I will keep your information on file, in future
    Things may change.

Thanks again, I hope I have answered all your questions.

Chrissy Riley
    But told them that if the price is the problem we can arrange it and negotiate it no problem. :(

Nov 19, 2009, 06:44 PM
    I would suggest that you do everything that has been mentioned so far Ebb in your thread. But to me the most important is to get out daily and make as many cold calls as possible. By sheer numbers you will/should be able to get the name of a lot of the 'decision makers', make appointments, and have opportunities to bid. Go see them personally. If you can't make an appointment then talk to the proper people on the phone. Don't get discouraged by voice mail/

On voice mail, be polite, be brief, tell them who you are, what you do, and what you would like. Leave your phone number and your name at least twice during the message. Normally I do not leave more than two messages per week. I may call more times but if I do not get them on the line, I just hang up. Too many messages left on their voice mail can irritate them.

Stringer
    This thing is on my mind already but I just need help how to proper talk to them when I get to see them in person.

Also wondering how do I contact those big building manager or owner?
    Business Expert

Nov 19, 2009, 07:07 PM

Not sure exactly what you mean in your first sentence Ebb, when you say 'proper talk'? What exactly do you mean here? Are you looking for the exact words? Because you have to be yourself, a lot of this was discussed before here, but maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying, please explain in more detail.

And as far as contacting large buildings you do it the same way that you do the other buildings Ebb. Go in, see the receptionist, ask her/him who with their company contracts for nightly janitorial services? Get the name, phone number and hopefully the email address. And then call them. Unless you are fortunate and they will see you immediately, but from my experience, that occurs very rarely though. Call and set up an appointment if they are looking for a new service.

I would suggest that at this point that if I were you, I would go after small to mid sized buildings/companies and build up to the larger ones. They are somewhat a different animal and require much more experience and financing.

Stringer

Nov 19, 2009, 07:49 PM

All right I guess I will stick to Cleaning Restaurant (dinning area only not kitchen) Small Offices, and banks.

Then once I get all set up ill try to go to bigger ones.

For my company I have my licensed, GST number and Insurance this should be good for now right?

Thank you very much
    Business Expert

Nov 19, 2009, 08:01 PM

If I can help you in any way as you progress Ebb, just ask me about anything concerning this.

I would be interested in exactly what you say to new prospects and also what exactly is in your proposal to protect yourself. In my case my proposal is also a legal contract that they sign.

I have been in sales all my life, well, since I was 21 and that WAS a long time ago :eek:, and if I can make some suggestions and help as you go along I would be happy to do so, let me know.

That is what this site is all about Ebb.

Good luck, :)

Stringer
    Business Expert

Nov 19, 2009, 08:10 PM
    Alright i guess i will stick to Cleaning Restaurant (dinning area only not kitchen) Small Offices, and banks.

then once i get all set up ill try to go to bigger ones.

for my company i have my licensed, GST number and Insurance this should be good for now right?

thank you very much
    We started with about 7 restaurants and you are right, back of the house is a b*t*h. Restaurants are tough I know, so are large retail stores. That was why we planned to have another niche (Medical), but those types of businesses got us started.

I only said that because that is probably the best way to start up. Control, staffing, financing, and experience play a big part Ebb. It's kind of like "Wow....Wow, wow....we got that big contract..............................(now what are we going to do?????!?!)"

You wouldn't want to fail (not that is definitely would happen) and lose money and hurt your reputation. The time WILL come for those large buildings I'm sure, stick with it. But these are laid out and planned differently, and consume a lot of resources up front.

All the five basic management principles apply always Ebb: Planning, Organizing, Staffing, Directing and Feedback. These are necessary in all projects. I try to use them in all my business and decisions and decision making processes.

Stringer
    Business Expert

Nov 19, 2009, 08:14 PM

For my company I have my licensed, GST number and Insurance this should be good for now right?
    - Ebb

Not sure what the GST number is but if it is your tax number OK, liability insurance, yes... you should be fine.

Stringer

Nov 19, 2009, 08:48 PM

HEHEHE thanks a lot for all the info MR. Stringer
    Are you still cleaning right now or you just get contract and hire someone to clean it?

Also can you give me a Good Flayers Info what can I put in a piece of paper to past around to the city.
    Business Expert

Nov 19, 2009, 10:22 PM

I would not use flyers for commercial business, only if you intend to do rendition homes. And if you are going to do this take them to a printer, even Kinko's so they look professional.

No, I have not cleaned for fifteen years for my company, the first two years I did occasionally when there was a problem with an employee showing up for work.

Now Ebb, I have over 215 employees that work 5 to 7 days per week. We have an Operations Director, 6 supervisors, three 2-man floor and carpet crews, 5 salespersons counting myself as I still am involved in sales and an office staff.

Nov 19, 2009, 11:32 PM

Holly man.. I admire you Stringer.. I hope I can be successful like you in the future.

I don't like residential only commercial and business so what should I use then to give it to my potential client?

You think is a good idea to hire a Salesperson at this point for my company?

Nov 19, 2009, 11:32 PM
    What is your cleaning company called? You got a website? Just want to look it up and see things.. if you don't mind.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Kid who won't talk for himself but will copy how other people talk [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I saw this movie years ago, on HBO, I never caught the name of the movie, and then the power went out, I never saw it again.. The movie was about this boy who was wouldn't talk or he couldn't talk. He could however copy peoples voices, and talk like them, exactley like them.. does anyone...

Looking For a Job in Customer Care, Customer Support [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm from Sri Lanka. I'm Looking for a job in customer care, customer support, office admin, clerk, areas. I have more than 6 years of experience. I'm 28 years old guy. Please help me to find a job in Europe, Singapore, Switzerland, Netherland, Etc. I can any type of working environment.

Girlfriend taking a break. To talk or not to talk [ 52 Answers ]

My girlfriend of over a year has decided to take a break. All of a sudden, something clicked in her head and she feels that we're too young to have such a serious relationship. She doesn't want to miss out on all the experiences life has to offer. Mind you, she was always the one who talked about...

How to write the first introduction letter to potential customer? [ 1 Answers ]

We are a cases& bags maker in china,now I am a sales in the company.our main market are asia,america,europe.I do not know how to write the first introduction letter>? Can you please give me some suggestionsS? Thanks in advance.

View more questions Search