Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nikkicute Posts: 733, Reputation: 35

Nov 6, 2009, 06:59 PM
    Chris Rock "GOOD HAIR"

I hope everyone of every race goes and see this movie! :D

Nov 6, 2009, 07:06 PM
    After Rock left the interview room, the young black man remained frustrated at the film's message he felt Rock was putting out "that black women don't have good hair." He and a black female reporter with natural hair in braids discussed how Rock should have done a fictional comedy film about this issue instead, or a stand-up comedy concert film dealing with hair just not a documentary.

Rock's co-star came to his defense.
    "This movie is not about the 'natural' part about hair," said Raven Symone

"It's the fact that we put in fake hair to make it look natural."

LOL! I like that line right there^^^^^^^
    1LLL Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2009, 07:19 PM
    Hey everyone, after reading your comments I have to say I am very overwhelmed however, very much interested in what you have to to say on the topic raised by BrownDeceit. I am currently working on my thesis for uni which is:

Do the dominant ideologies of beauty channelled through the media have a major influence on the arguable identity crisis that subsists amongst a number of African and Caribbean women who use skin bleaching products?

It would be most helpful if anyone of you be willing to participate in a telephone or online interview.

Hope to hear from you soon.
    Golden_Girl Posts: 1,930, Reputation: 60
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2009, 07:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikkicute View Post
    Rewind!!

I know what that girl did was wrong but weezing had NO BUSINESS exchanging phone numbers with her friends boyfriend in the first place!!
    Did everybody not see that part of the story? That was wrong!!
    Makes me wonder what kind of "friend" weezing was to her as well.
    .. yeah, good point. I didn't notice that part. Looks like the posts were deleted.

Is "GOOD HAIR" a new film?
    BrownDeceit Posts: 366, Reputation: 24

Nov 6, 2009, 07:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Girl View Post
    My hair is not naturally wavy or straight, it's just real curly like this

Majority of black women of any hair texture can grow their hair as long and just as fast as asians, caucasions, indians, etc. I usually just press my hair straight and it's not 22" but around 17", close to the girls in #15, #19, or Aaliyah

It's about caring for your hair differently than how we are taught. but majority of us can grow the hair very long and at the same speed as anyone else can.
    Golden aren't you part ethiopian or eritrian? (sorry I always forget which one!), I love your hair!!

Nov 6, 2009, 07:57 PM
    ..yeah, good point. I didn't notice that part. looks like the posts were deleted.
    Is "GOOD HAIR" a new film?
    No, her post was not deleted it's on page 21 post #203.

Yes, Good Hair is a funny documentary by Chris Rock.
    EggoMini Posts: 161, Reputation: 5

Nov 6, 2009, 08:09 PM

Here are a few of the YouTube members I was thinking of (w/awesome hair)

YouTube - saxygurl8's Channel

YouTube - Sera2544's Channel

YouTube - louel83's Channel

YouTube - RusticBeauty's Channel

YouTube - marand313's Channel

Nov 6, 2009, 08:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikkicute View Post
    No, her post was not deleted it's on page 21 post #203.

Yes, Good Hair is a funny documentary by Chris Rock.
    OMG @ the dissolving soda can! :eek:
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2009, 08:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BrownDeceit View Post
    Golden aren't you part ethiopian or eritrian? (sorry I always forget which one!), I love your hair!!!!!!!!!!
    Yes, part Ethiopian. Thanks, but I can never forget how my ex's mother and sisters gave me hell and said the most sickest things about my hair and even saying it looked nasty. But my hair is healthy and that's what is important.
    Itss A New Day Posts: 163, Reputation: 8

Nov 6, 2009, 08:45 PM
    yes, part Ethiopian. thanks, but I can never forget how my ex's mother and sisters gave me hell and said the most sick things about my hair and saying it looked nasty. but my hair i healthy and that's what's important.
    Is that you in the avater?

Nov 6, 2009, 08:52 PM

I think it's sade still? Unless you're a twin of sade gg? Lol!
    divaforlyfe Posts: 39, Reputation: 7

Nov 6, 2009, 09:23 PM
    You guys are totally right. It's so annoying because they make it seem as if there is only one correct standard of beauty when it comes to black women. And that's if your light skinned. And if you're not light skinned then you better have some very European looking features. Like Kenya Moore, Jessica White, Naomi Campbell, Liya Kebede, Joy Bryant, Chilli from TLC, Lanisha Cole, Aaliyah (May her soul RIP), Gelila Bekele, etc.

Kenya Moore

Liya Kebede

Chilli

Jessica White

Lanisha Cole

Gelila

RARELY. Very RARELY are dark skinned women with prominent west african features praised. The only one I can think of is Gabrielle Union. Though it works in my favor because I have "exotic" features, I'm not stupid or ignorant to walk around thinking that I am BETTER than someone with west african features, I just realize that society is so backwards that they'll praise me because of it. Just like they'll praise a mixed girl because of her really light skin. There is no distinct formula that equals beauty. You can be dark with west african features and still be beautiful! It's about the symmetry in ones face. Smh. I wish people could see this!

If I recall Miss Nigeria ( Agbani Darego) was one of the first to win miss world from africa,and hotel rawanda( Sophie Okonedo) I know a lot of west african women who are prominate esp. in Europe, I am west african and when people find out, I'm told I have exotic features, also you have to remember that WEST africa has many ethnic tribes that have so called western features, and so called black features. I think beauty is individual then it spans out to the whole ethinic group, I am tired of the whole west/east african features comparison on this site, this isn't direct to you but to everyone on here.

Nov 6, 2009, 09:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by EggoMini View Post
    i think it's sade still? unless you're a twin of sade gg? lol!
    I'm a serious Sade fan but that doesn't look like Sade to me for some reason... Golden can you help clarify my confusion please lol
    divaforlyfe Posts: 39, Reputation: 7

Nov 6, 2009, 09:55 PM
    Soooo true. I'm starting to lose interest in him actually. He said some things the other day that urked me AGAIN. He was talking about how "interesting" puerto rican women look and how "interesting" south american women look. Oh goodness. I just did my best to grit my teeth, nod my head. And stay polite. But inside of me I was fuming. And I felt extremely INSECURE. And when he said "interesting" I know he meant fine. You should see the look on his face. Now nothing wrong with these comments he made. If he thinks these women are beautiful it's whatever, but given his track record, and given the fact he was describing the women of these places that are the non black ones. I did kind of look at him funny. I guess I just really want it to work because he's really good looking and popular. But I feel so nervous all the time. I went to the store to buy more perm to perm my hair and make sure that my curls blended and looked even more natural and like I had natural curly hair. And I've been lightening like crazy. I just feel so much pressure to look mixed. And I think I'm really getting there because 3 people in the last two weeks asked me what I was. Not saying that this equals prettier than someone who looks solid black. But. Let's face it. Why are so many of us trying to lighten? Because we want to look different from what we already are. We want a change.
    If you are with someone just because they are popular and good looking then you are with him for the wrong reasons and it's also Superficial, It sounds to me that the both of you are insecure and have internal issues, esp, him to work out. He will only change when he wants to, but right now it seems that he is not ready be open minded. Be careful, because men like that will tear down yourself esteem. You will find yourself trying to attain a certain standard that you will never reach. I am sure that you are way to good for him, think about it, you were never ugly (face wise) to begin with, he did not like you because you were darker, now that you have lighten up he is with you? I have dated a guy one time who told me that I was the only dark skin girl he had ever dated, and I was cute for dark skin girl, lets just say it did not last long, I found him to insecure and ignorant.
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2009, 10:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Itss A New Day View Post
    I'm a serious Sade fan but that doesnt look like Sade to me for some reason...Golden can you help clarify my confusion please lol
    Lol... it's Sade, at a Manhattan restaurant. I'm a huge Sade fan, still waiting for her new album to drop. But yeah, my complexion goal is close to this.
    http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment...readers_s.html

Nov 6, 2009, 11:42 PM
    lol...it's Sade, at a Manhattan restaurant. I'm a huge Sade fan, still waiting for her new album to drop. But yeah, my complexion goal is close to this.
    An Appeal to Vulture Readers: Send Us Tips and Leave Sade Alone! -- Vulture
    Ok looking at the picture up close and personal it does look like her, thanks Golden and she sure did look P-Oed!
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2009, 11:52 PM
    Lmao... yeah she did, that was funny. I most likely would have reacted the same way. Then again, if I sa her there I would have interupted her conversation for an autograph and photo taken with her.

Nov 7, 2009, 07:45 PM
    Ooops! I think I went Ellen Degeneres for a second. LOL!
    Kenya Moore is a hottie!! :p I want boobs like hers!
    Pwincess anu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2009, 01:38 PM

Hey the reason why I wanted to lighten my skin is because I think it would suit my skin better I am pakistani and I have a wheatish colour skin but I want to be white I want to be beautiful I see other girls who have beautiful white skin and I want to be just like them!
    Vanillawannabe Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2009, 04:52 PM

Hi everyone, Im here to say I haven't lightened, and I don't want to anymnore! I always get attention from guys anyway, and I wasn't that unhappy about my looks to stay committed to lightening. I know I sound stupid... but that comment I made about darksin was based on inseccurity... I was bullied by a gang of dark skinned girls in elem school and developed an aversion to dark skin. But now I'm in college, and more mature. Dark skinned men are gorgeous when they're buff! But yeah. Just an update. Sorry if I offended anyone here who is dark.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Custom Made Skin Lightening cream [ 10 Answers ]

I use this skin lightening cream that is custom blended by this lady who owns a skincare salon here in Newyork. Now I use her product and it is very expensive for just a small amount, but it seems like it's the only product that works for me. I'll go and say to myself I can't afford this crap but...

Home-made/cheap for skin lightening that worked for me [ 16 Answers ]

I've tried various store bought and internet bought products to lighten skin and it was all a waste of my money I think what works just as well or better in my experience is a home-made mixture that involve some plain yogurt and lemon juice. This is the website I found the info on Beauty...

Pale, Dull, and Dry Skin As a Result of Skin Lightening? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, My name is linksys2000. I am new to the "Ask Me Help Desk" forum, and site. Thanks for all of the information and perspectives. Somehow, this wealth of information leads to better decisions and ultimately thoughtful choices. So thanks to all of you for promoting this site and...

Skin lightening for dark Afro skin/ max result [ 72 Answers ]

Hey, I've been reading the forums, it is so much info to absorb. Is their anyone who has had dark Afro- Amer or Afro- Carib and are know a fairer and more even complexion from using skin lighteners. If so can you lead me in a direction, I am willing to use any regime just not too expensive. Thanks...

View more questions Search