Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    r_kirky Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2009, 08:36 PM
    Plumb a garage utility sink into existing washer plumbing
    Hi I am new and wondering if I can plumb a utility sink drain into a washing machine stand pipe?

The sink will be located to the left just past the wall. The drain pipe is has a trap just past where I cut the drywall out on the right. Can I just tee into the drain pipe?

Any help appreciated
    Thanks
    -Rob
    geediddy Posts: 11, Reputation: 3

Oct 27, 2009, 09:26 PM

Just use a sweep Tee so the flow from the washer won't back up in the sink, however if the main drain plugs up it will come up in the sink. It looks like the trap is behind the drywall, if it is you should get another trap just in case you drop a wedding ring down it. LOL

Oct 27, 2009, 10:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by geediddy View Post
    Just use a sweep Tee so the flow from the washer won't back up in the sink
    Okay will do, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by geediddy View Post
    It looks like the trap is behind the drywall, if it is you should get another trap just in case you drop a wedding ring down it. LOL
    That is a good point I have been known to to something like that. I have read that having a double trap is a no no? Maybe I will just get a good screen for it.

Another question I have is how to tap into the (pex?) plastic tubing. There is a small copper piece above the plastic and below the valve I could tee into. Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks
    -Rob
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 28, 2009, 03:25 AM
    Hi Rob...

I am afraid that you got some wrong advice from geediddy...

You CANNOT just tee into the washer standpipe and then add a trap. As you suspected, double trapping anything is not allowed. Never mind that the velocity and the volume of water that a washing machine discharges would most likely siphon the new trap and cause gas/odor issues.

You need to open the wall up some more and find the waste pipe and the VENT that the washer connects into. Then you can connect into the waste pipe and run an 1.5" waste line over to the sink where you will install an individual PTRAP and then run a vent back to the washing machine vent. You may also be able to use a mechanical vent but these are illegal in some areas.

In terms of the copper pipes, with some careful planning and the right tools you can probably cut into the copper pipe and tee off for the laundry sink water. I think SHARKBITE or GATORBITE push type tee fittings will be best here as they do not require any soldering to install. Once out of the wall, you can transition over to soldered copper pipe and fittings or just continue to use the sharkbite or gatorbite fittings.

Open the wall up some more and then post another picture... see what we think from there...

MARK

Oct 28, 2009, 04:32 PM
    My internet is very spotty right now I will post some pics as soon as I can.
    Thanks for the input
    -Rob
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 28, 2009, 04:34 PM
    Hey Rob..

I understand... post when you can. We are glad to help here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sink drain to existing plumbing [ 2 Answers ]

Hi... I am looking at install a kitchen sink and am wondering how far can my sinks drain be from the existing waste water plumbing.Does it have to be a specific distance or is there certain distances you can work with in?Will the S-trap allow me to adjust any distance in between?

Installing utility sink next to washer/dryer [ 3 Answers ]

I know this topic has been covered extensively, not only here but all over the web. The problem is that there is so much conflicting information out there. I have gathered the following from what I have read here. 1) It seems that if I want to do this by code, I can not just tap into the washer...

Cost of install, Washer/Dryer, Utility Sink [ 3 Answers ]

Hey experts! I'd like to know the approximate cost of install of a washer/dryer and a utility sink. I have no problem buying the sink/faucet prior to install, and I already have a washer, I just need to decide on a dryer. I would like do this in my garage. The wall is sheetrock, and on the...

Hook up hot & cold lines and drain to garage utility sink next to clothes washer [ 1 Answers ]

I desire to hook up a utility sink nedst to the existing clothes washer in an enclosed garage area. The washer has existing hot and cold supply lines coming from the wall with a ¾” brass bibb. Can I, and if so, how, can I connect hot and cold lines to the utility sink. It has a standard type...

View more questions Search