Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2009, 08:01 AM
    Pit bull running
    Hi folks

I have a serious problem.

Our pit bull, 9 months old, takes off if he gets out in front of house. Always goes to same house and gets into a tassel with dog that lives there.
    This has happened 3 times.

Is there any training that will stop him from doing this?

The town wants me to put him down, saying he is a dangerous animal.

Have not had problems with him except for this one dog. He is good around people that come to house and does not seem to be mean.

If I don't want to lose him will have to keep him in a pen. This a think would make him want to run more and might make him meaner.

PLEASE, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank u in advance

Chuck
    tany072075 Posts: 57, Reputation: 4

Oct 12, 2009, 10:02 AM

I would suggest an underground electric fence. Some people think this can be cruel, but once he is trained to stay in the yard, he will remember the limits he has. It will take some extensive training on your part though.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2009, 10:06 AM

A dog pen, an electric fence and shock collar, any other type of pen.

If he continues to fight with the other dog in NY a Judge can and possibly will sign an order to have him put down.

Is he covered by your homeowners or renters policy? If he knocks or injures someone while on his way to the other house or in the process of fighting with the other dog you could lose everything.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2009, 10:38 AM

How are you containing your dog? It sounds like he isn't contained, or supervised well enough.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2009, 07:30 PM
    Leash?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2009, 08:41 PM

DOn't let him out your front door?

Obvious answer is just be more careful and don't let him out.
    Invest in a baby gate so there is a double barrier between him and his way out the door.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2009, 07:30 AM

Hi all

Thanks for the answers that I have received to date.

Does anyone in New York area know a trainer or sanctuary that could work for us?

Chuck
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2009, 07:35 AM

I'm in NY - where in NY?

Ask your Vet for a recommendation based on the personality and temperament of the dog and the trainer.

I have a great story and I've told it before - my late husband and I selected a dog trainer for our Hoodlum Gordon Setter. Not that my husband let the dog do whatever the dog wanted but both the dog AND my husband were thrown out of class - permanently.

The trainer/dog/owner have to match.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2009, 10:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    Yep. A 'firnd' of mine is a so called trainer and I cannot stand her methods! They are terrible, I had to 'shop around' for a good trainer.
    Hmm... sorry, "friend of mine", I have stupid fingers.
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2009, 10:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Hmm.... sorry, "friend of mine", I have stupid fingers.

Don't worry about it - I have whole weeks like that!
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Oct 26, 2009, 12:16 PM

I don't know if you found your answer but we have a 10 year Am Staff, and he used to run every chance he got, our first trainer told us that if your dog is happy with his home he will not run... take that with a grain of slat, did I mention max failed that school? Seccond trainer suggested an under ground fence, well this dog was almost 100 lbs at age 1, he blew threw that thing like it wasn't even there, and then of course did NOT want to re enter the yard. The best training advice was use a horse lead (a really long leash) and practise re call with lots of positve reinforcement. Max never leaves our property nor any other property that we bring him on. It took a little "tough love" we would stand on our end of the leash, and when Max would attempt to run he would get a nice and pleasant JERK backwards, seemed less painful then electricution...
    tattooedmom80 Posts: 9, Reputation: 3

Oct 26, 2009, 01:04 PM

Pit bulls are great dogs, and very smart. They have been in my family for many years and we have never had a problem with them being vicious to anybody. My brothers blue pit, damien, likes to take off sometimes, usually to the neighbors house to play with the female dog. It takes a lot of tough love to get those dogs to listen. They are hard headed and sometimes don't listen, just like kids. Just start working with him on a daily basis, letting him know when he does something wrong. Try only caging him for a half a hour or so if he does do something wrong. He will get it eventually. Patience is key. Good luck to you.
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Oct 27, 2009, 02:55 AM

I agree with Sarriss how are you containing your dog? It sounds like he needs a good sturdy fence. I don't really like dog runs but sometimes that's what you need. You need to get your dog contained!

I know someone suggested an invisible fence. And these are great. I just purchased an inground(same things, but bury wires) one for my Husky and its great just opening the door and letting him out.And not having to tie him anymore. BUT... It takes a lot of training, you can't just throw the dog out in the yard with the collar on and expect him to figure it out himself.

That said, although this is a great product, I would NOT recommend it to you Creahands. Mostly because it sounds like your dog is intent on attacking this other dog anytime it can. And that is a NO NO. This must be stopped and it can not be taken lightly. Some dogs will take the shock from the inground or ellectirc fence and keep going. See once they pass that wire or flags, they are home free.

You need a sturdy fence, or dog run to contain your pup, and you need to do it for his sake. I can't see the city putting up with anymore attacks.
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2009, 05:56 AM

Did anyone ask about homeowners/renters insurance carried by the OP? If her dog manages to knock someone down (hopefully doesn't bit anyone) with this type of "running" history, she is doomed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pit Bull Ban [ 56 Answers ]

What counties ban Pit Bulls in the State of Florida? Thanks for answering.:)

Bull Mastif / Staffordshire Bull Terrier Under Weight [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My dog is half Bull Mastiff and Staffordshire Bull Terrier and has a good appetite but it doesn't seem to matter much we feed him he still looks underweight, we've also had him wormed and the vets say that he is in very good shape and that the weight will come. He is 7 months and very big in...

Pit Bull [ 1 Answers ]

I have 1yr old and she just went into heat about 4months ago and is already in heat again is it safe to start breeding her or should I wait. Also can I buy the shots for the puppies some where because the pet store does not sell it and the needles to do so. And is there any spacific diet I should...

Bull Dog [ 12 Answers ]

My Bull Dog has little pea size bumps all over her. Any one no what this could be is it common in Bull Breed? She also has cherry eye any one familure with this? My daughter brought her home from the barn where we board our horse, She was abussed and neglected.

Pit Bull Ban [ 12 Answers ]

I have a question regarding the Ban's on pit bulls in the US! Is there a list of citys and states that have a ban on Pit Bulls? I have a pit bull mix and she is my best friend and the best dog I have ever had! Were looking at moving some time in the near future and I will not live in a place where...

View more questions Search