Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spanky2009 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2009, 05:12 PM
    Is this a violation even if everyone knows about it?
    To make a long story short, my ex girlfriend told her co-worker to send me an email (not knowing I was going to be set up) to see if I am faithful to her and what my response would be in general. The email stated that she was going to meet me and that it was avoidable! It spooked me and then I researched her name in out inhouse police data base only. The ex-girlfriend then asks me why I seemed out of place, I explained and I also told her my hunch was right about this spooky email. It turned out to be that her co-worker had suicidal incident involving the police. Well, of course she failed to keep it between us and then told her co-worker. Her co-worker laughed and said "whats the big deal? everyone knows because i told them, thats old new". Then her co-worker comes to my job and complains and exaturated that I researched her name and her whole life. Which wasn't true. Of course I was forced to resign.

My question: Is this a violation even if everyone knows about it?:confused:
    itsamor Posts: 196, Reputation: 12

Oct 6, 2009, 05:18 PM

Wait a second.. are you saying this girl committed suicide?
    spanky2009 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2009, 05:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by itsamor View Post
    Wait a second..are you saying this girl committed suicide?
    No, she was having marital problems with her husband and then someone called the cops. When the cops got there she told the cop "give me your gun i want to die". She was then arrested and taken to the hospital for evaluation. When she got out of the hospital she told ALL her co-workers and her supervisor too. So there was no secrets of her incident.
    xoxaprilwine Posts: 582, Reputation: 71

Oct 6, 2009, 05:24 PM

Unfortunately yes. It sounds like you work in the criminal industry and it "should be" against policy to obtain records about friends, family, acquaintances or anyone you know unless it was advised by criteria required by your protocols and procedures. This is abusing your position for personal reasons. Sorry.

P.S. Read your job description, office/company policy and Laws surrounding that... you live somewhere else and your jurisdiction is different. I think it would just be common sense to fire you if you abused your position in any way.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 6, 2009, 05:36 PM

If you looked up and used the NCIC computer system, and you did it for personal use, you could be charged, fined and of course lose your job

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa Violation Or Privacy Law Violation? [ 16 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend got me pregnant and left me at four months. I have many physical problems and he had his friend who is a pharmicist look up my perscriptions (I live 40 miles away from that store location and have never been there) and then the pharmacisit shared all the information. Can I do...

IRS violation? [ 11 Answers ]

The IRS placed a lien on my mothers home. They told her when I call to settle my past tax debt, they will release the lien. Is this illegal? In addition, they told her all about my debt, how much I owe and how long. She spoke to some family members and now they are outraged at me for it. Did the...

Is this a violation [ 9 Answers ]

I was suspended from work because of false allegations. My employer wanted all of my prescriptions to make copies of them. I gave them the ones I had except my anti-anxiety med. Because it needed refilled. I got it refilled and my pharmacist faxed it to them. Now they are demanding proof that I...

View more questions Search