Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rr man Posts: 92, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2009, 01:29 PM
    Contract Worker vs. Employee
    My son is currently employed by a used car dealer here in Columbia, SC. He is a paint and body tech and works in the shop repairing and painting cars which the dealer sells. He was hired about 3 months ago, and they told him that his pay would be $350.00 a week for a 40 hour work week, and no taxes would be withheld. He gets paid every week and on his paycheck it is noted as "Casual Labor". So I guess he is considered a contract worker, even though there is no contract and he just follows instructions each day as what work to do. My question is: can they pay him this way indefinitely, or is there some time limit? He is concerned that he will get a 1099 and have a bunch of tax to pay. It just doesn't seem right that they can work him indefinitely and not be required to withhold taxes from his paycheck.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2009, 06:08 PM

He will definitely get the 1099 at the end of the year and he will be responsible for his taxes as none has been taken out of his paycheck by the party hiring him to do the work. And yes, they can keep paying him as "casual labor" indefinitely. He is not an employee. He is basically an independent contractor. Tell him about the taxes NOW before he owes a bundle at tax time next April.
    rr man Posts: 92, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2009, 06:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    He will definitely get the 1099 at the end of the year and he will be responsible for his taxes as none has been taken out of his paycheck by the party hiring him to do the work. And yes, they can keep paying him as "casual labor" indefinitely. He is not an employee. He is basically an independent contractor. Tell him about the taxes NOW before he owes a bundle at tax time next April.

Thanks for your input. Then if they can continue to call him an independent contractor indefinitely, what would it take for him to be classed as an employee? Would it be worthwhile to file a SS-8 with the IRS?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Setting up care worker or support worker agency [ 5 Answers ]

I will like to know the requirements for setting up care worker or support worker agency. Thanks

Tax form for OPT CONTRACT worker [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am currently working as OPT and this job is CONTRACT. My employer told me that I have to file income tax (federal tax, state tex etc) myself but I am not sure which tax form I should file and how much I should be paying since The company cannot withhold tax for contractor. I have...

Working as a w-2 employee and a 1099 employee at the same time [ 2 Answers ]

Can you work for the same employer at the same time as a w-2 employee and a 1099 employee at the same time. Example selling insurance at an agency getting paid on w-2 for the clerical work and 1099 as for the commission on sales of the insurance from the same desk?

Contract Employee Live in PA work in TX [ 2 Answers ]

I am a W2 contract employee living in PA. My company is in CT. I worked in TX for six months. Do I owe PA state tax on the money I earned while working in TX (which has no state income tax)?

View more questions Search