Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rhiannahunt Posts: 124, Reputation: 2

Aug 6, 2009, 06:09 PM
    Trying to conceive
    ;)My husband and I have decided to try for another baby. My daughter is 2 now. And I think right now would be a good time. I have don't those ovulation calendars online, and I'm confused. They say that usually a women will ovulate the 14th day of her cycle. But when I got pregnant with my daughter. My husband and I conceived her the day after I had my period. Can that happen? Also we both have twins in our families. He has them on his dad and moms side, and I have them on my moms side. I heard taking folic acid can increase our chances. Is this also true? I heard also that it usually skips a generation.?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2009, 06:13 PM

I heard about the skip a generation too but I know a couple of people who had twin siblings and then they had twins.

Also folic acid is essential for pregnancy health.
    I doubt it has anything to do with having twins. You should start taking a prenatal vitamin with folic now though.

I think it is possible to get pregnant at about any time but rare at some times and most likely at other times.

J_9 and others are good at calculating they can better answer that.

Aug 6, 2009, 06:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    I heard about the skip a generation too but I know a couple of people who had twin siblings and then they had twins.

Also folic acid is essential for pregnancy health.
    I doubt it has anything to do with having twins. You should start taking a prenatal vitamin with folic now though.

I think it is possible to get pregnant at about any time but rare at some times and most likely at other times.

J_9 and others are good at calculating they can better answer that.
    Thank you! Yeah my husband has twin siblings. I have twin uncles
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2009, 06:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rhiannahunt View Post
    ;)My husband and i have decided to try for another baby. My daughter is 2 now. And i think right now would be a good time. I have dont those ovulation calendars online, and im confused. They say that usually a women will ovulate the 14th day of her cycle. But when i got pregnant with my daughter. My husband and i concieved her the day after i had my period. Can that happen? Also we both have twins in our families. He has them on his dad and moms side, and i have them on my moms side. I heard taking folic acid can increase our chances. Is this also true? I heard also that it usually skips a generation. ??
    The idea behind the 14th day comes from the notion that a woman ovulates about midway through her cycle. A 28 day cycle is considered the "norm", but many women naturally have shorter or longer cycles. A better gauge might be that ovulation is likely about 12-16days before the next period is due, regardless of the length of the cycle. This, however, is just a starting place. You very well could have gotten pregnant right after your period ended. If you had sex the day after your period ended, conception would most likely have occurred in the next few days afterwards. The majority of the time, ovulation will remain pretty consistent with each cycle, as the luteal phase (time from ovulation to your period) usually stays the same, but ovulation can happen sooner or later now and then... or not at all in an off cycle.

Twins can be more likely from the mothers side of the family as some women will be more prone to releasing more than one egg in some cycles... this can have a genetic factor. Age can play a role as well... older women have an increased chance for twinning.

The role of folic acid is to help with preventing certain birth defects very early in pregnancy... this is why it is wise for any woman who can become pregnant, whether trying to or not, to have at least 400 mcg daily. The birth defects occur before many women even know they are pregnant. Folic acid also helps with various developmental stages along the way... in particular the increased brain function development late in pregnancy.

Good luck... hope you don't have to try too long to find success!

Aug 6, 2009, 07:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DoulaLC View Post
    The idea behind the 14th day comes from the notion that a woman ovulates about midway through her cycle. A 28 day cycle is considered the "norm", but many women naturally have shorter or longer cycles. A better gauge might be that ovulation is likely about 12-16days before the next period is due, regardless of the length of the cycle. This, however, is just a starting place. You very well could have gotten pregnant right after your period ended. If you had sex the day after your period ended, conception would most likely have occurred in the next few days afterwards. The majority of the time, ovulation will remain pretty consistent with each cycle, as the luteal phase (time from ovulation to your period) usually stays the same, but ovulation can happen sooner or later now and then...or not at all in an off cycle.

Twins can be more likely from the mothers side of the family as some women will be more prone to releasing more than one egg in some cycles....this can have a genetic factor. Age can play a role as well....older women have an increased chance for twinning.

The role of folic acid is to help with preventing certain birth defects very early in pregnancy....this is why it is wise for any woman who can become pregnant, whether trying to or not, to have at least 400 mcg daily. The birth defects occur before many women even know they are pregnant. Folic acid also helps with various developmental stages along the way....in particular the increased brain function development late in pregnancy.

Good luck.....hope you don't have to try too long to find success!!
    Wow thank you. That was a lot of help. I love this website.

Aug 7, 2009, 03:02 PM
    So I have another question. I believe that last month I was ovulating around the 22nd of July. And my hubby and I had sex the 23rd. I was still on because, but quit using it at the end of the month. I was supposed to start my period on the 5th, but started on the 2nd. My period was normal, but I have been VERY nasueated. I stopped my period yesterday morning and have odd sharp pains in my stomach and some cramping. I know I started early because I quit my because. But also heard that stopping it and trying to conceive may be a bad idea so soon, because it can confuse me into thinking I had a period. I guess my question is... what do you think? And can a women bleed and still be pregnant? I was only on because for about 5 months, and had problems taking them on time and such.:confused:
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2009, 01:09 PM

IF you did actually ovulate on the 22nd, you could have conceived with sex on the 23rd, however if your dates were off for ovulation the sex may have occurred too late for that cycle. However, since you were also still on birth control... that makes it even less likely that pregnancy occurred.

Some women will have bleeding in early pregnancy, sometimes even thinking it is their period. You won't have an actual period if pregnant.

The bleeding could have been your period (most likely), or could have been off due to pregnancy (possible, but not likely given the timing and the use of birth control), or from stopping the birth control (happens to some women).

Either try a pregnancy test if you continue with possible symptoms, or wait and see what happens when your next period would be due.

Aug 8, 2009, 01:54 PM
    IF you did actually ovulate on the 22nd, you could have conceived with sex on the 23rd, however if your dates were off for ovulation the sex may have occured too late for that cycle. However, since you were also still on birth control....that makes it even less likely that pregnancy occurred.

Some women will have bleeding in early pregnancy, sometimes even thinking it is their period. You won't have an actual period if pregnant.

The bleeding could have been your period (most likely), or could have been off due to pregnancy (possible, but not likely given the timing and the use of birth control), or from stopping the birth control (happens to some women).

Either try a pregnancy test if you continue with possible symptoms, or wait and see what happens when your next period would be due.
    Thank you. So I stopped my period two days ago, and now I have brown blood coming out very lightly. I took a test yesterday and its negative. But I remmeber that when I was pregnant with my duaghter it took me awhile for a test to come out positive. I had to take 5. 3 were negative and 2 were positive. I believe it was a week late for a test to come out.

?
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2009, 01:57 PM

The brown discharge could be just left from your period. Some women will have some brownish discharge prior to their period and some just after it.

It does happen for some women that it can take several weeks before a positive shows up on a urine test. Again, I'd wait and see what happens next month. If you want, take a pregnancy test once a week until then to satisfy your curiosity as I know it can be difficult to wait.

Aug 8, 2009, 02:04 PM
    The brown discharge could be just left from your period. Some women will have some brownish discharge prior to their period and some just after it.

It does happen for some women that it can take several weeks before a positive shows up on a urine test. Again, I'd wait and see what happens next month. If you want, go ahead and take a pregnancy test once a week until then to satisfy your curiosity as I know it can be difficult to wait.
    Thanks. Just anxious I guess.
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2009, 02:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rhiannahunt View Post
    thanks. Just anxious i guess.
    Believe me... it's perfectly understandable! Good luck! If it's not this time around, I hope it won't be too much longer for you... :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to conceive at 41 [ 10 Answers ]

We have been trying to conceive for the past 8 months with no joy.my periods are every 29 days but only light spotting for 1 day only then totally gone .we always have intercourse around my ovulation period but it is not happening any suggestions on what we are doing wrong

Trying to conceive [ 1 Answers ]

Hello friends,I want to ask u,I got my 32 days pregnancy aborted 1 year ago.now from last 6 months we are trying to conceive.I took clomid during my last cycle but still I don't feel asif I am pregnant.what could be the reason.can medical abortion leads to blocked fallopian tubes? Help me?

When did I conceive? [ 4 Answers ]

I had my period starting feb.3-feb.8. I had sex with my ex on feb.9 and feb.19, I also had sex with my boyfriend on feb.23,and24.(PLEASE SOMEONE HELP IF YOU CAN):confused: :o .(I'm considering having an abortion because I honestly don't know what to do)

Trying to conceive [ 1 Answers ]

I have been trying to conceive for almost a year now. This morning on cycle day 28 (which normally is my period start day) my b/f and I had sex. I have not had my period yet, but I noticed an incredible amount of moisture while we were having intercourse. I know that increased vaginal discharge...

View more questions Search